Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 10:09:19 PM EDT
I hope and anticipate that the AWB will quietly expire next year.

I also anticipate that when that occurs, AW parts like east European folding stocks, sight blocks with lugs, etc; will experience a dramatic surge in price, at least temporarily, and perhaps permanently if the ATF makes a sour grapes effort to block import.

So my question is, if I buy those parts now, in anticipation of later legally installing them on a currently "post ban" rifle( after 94); could I be construed as "conspiring" to violate the AWB, even though I'm not going to install said parts prior to the AWB's expiration?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Rabid_,
matters of the heart (especially if you're married !) and matters such as conspiracy are often best explored quietly and internally.

Yours is a legal question and can only be properly addressed by those qualified in the law and I have no such qualifications.  Now, in my UNQUALIFIED and personal opinion, you would have had to piss off the government mighty bad in another matter for them to try and pin a conspiracy rap on you for what you have described.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You worry too much!  I have a box full of FAL G1 flash hiders which i plan to install when the AWB sunsets. It's only illegal if you do it now.  There are no laws against 'conspiring to build an AW' it's only wrong if you actually build one.

I guess since we own guns and stock pile ammo we must be conspiring to kill people........nah i don't think so.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
How many AWB convictions have there been?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
[:\]

Auto sear....auto sear....now where the heck did I put the box of those things?

Does it count if you had them but lost them somewhere on your property? After all, you dont *knowingly* have them anymore. ;)

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
There have been a couple of AWB convictions.  I think the first really good one was in a grocery list of charges against some idiot with a cellar full of pipe-bombs.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Campy said as much as needs saying. F/A parts in conjuction with "the toys" can be the biggest "no-no" anyone ever made the mistake of possessing.

Granted, we all "know" you don't want to be in violation by the topic of the thread. Regardless, items such as folding stocks, flash hiders, or any part that has a bayonet lug shouldn't be a problem provided they aren't installed.

In short, no F/A parts/conversion manuals/militia propoganda/etc., etc. and you should be just fine.

My best "for instance" would regard a pre-ban parts kit I received complete with an F/A fire control group. Granted I have no plans/diagrams for installation, I saved the single hook trigger and threw the rest out. Bought an RSA set, hard to part with perfectly useful items--I kept the old trigger.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top