Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/27/2004 1:37:36 PM EDT
Hello...

I'm really new to AK's... I not new to AR's...

That said... how should I go about buying a good high quality AK?  Does building an AK acually save you much money in the end?  

Regardless of which approch I'm going to take on my AK... Which caliber should I select?

Since I already have 5.56 ammo should I just build an AK around this?  That being said is there the availiblity of parts that I'm looking for?  I know rob arms makes the followers I need for the '74 mags...

Now at this point I'm leaning more toward just the 7.62 and the 5.54...   Which should I use?  I've heard some stories that elites in Russian and SF equivaliants in other countries that use AK's are going back to 7.62x39... ?    

5.45 seems like it has a lot going for it... the ammo is light... recoil is similar (less) than my ar carbine right now...  and the trajectory of the round is more like 5.56...

but the current availble ammo such as wolf and that other brand don't seem to have the steel penitrator aspect of the military round...

So that makes me think that 7.62 SP's might be a better option for better wound dynamics...

What do you all have to say?  

1)  how should i go about buying an ak (cheap SAR1or2or3 - or - build one?)

and

2) which caliber should I chose?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the rifle below started out as a SAR-2. By the time I got done it wasn't cheap...

K-Var polymer US furniture set
RSA FCG
Real AK-74 FSB and brake
Kobra
Bulgarian mags

It's accurate and has a little more recoil than shooting a 22 LR. Fortunately the finish was very nice so I didn't feel obligated to redo it.

I believe the official term for these is still "CampyClone"

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm not getting a pic?  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top