Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:37:48 AM EDT
I went into a local Sporting goods/gun shop yesterday looking for some .223 snap-caps.

I noticed a AK leaning on the rack and asked to hold it.

Looking it over it was the exact same gun I had just bought back in Feb. at the gun show, a post-ban WASR-10.

Now I knew their price was going to be high, this store is notorious for having high gun prices, but when I asked him what the cost of this AK was and he came back with $499.00+tax I almost dropped the gun!  

I had to ask him to repeat himself.  

Me - "How much?"

Him - "$499"

"Did you just say $500?"

"Yeah."

"I just bought a new one for $330 out the door a month ago."

"Where'd you get it?"

"The last gun show, from Shooters"

"Was it new?"

"Yeah, new in the box with 2 mags."

"Oh."

"Here, take this thing. Do you have any .223 snap-caps?"

I don't even know why I go in there anymore. I guess it's cause it's one my way home and it makes me feel like I get great deals when I look at their prices!

And no I didn't get the .223 snap-caps I was looking for. They didn't have any in and judging by the prices on other snap-cap I think I can wait till the next gun show and get them there.

I guess they make they money on P.T. Barnum's theory........."There's a sucker born every minute."
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I went into a local Sporting goods/gun shop yesterday looking for some .223 snap-caps.

I noticed a AK leaning on the rack and asked to hold it.

Looking it over it was the exact same gun I had just bought back in Feb. at the gun show, a post-ban WASR-10.

Now I knew their price was going to be high, this store is notorious for having high gun prices, but when I asked him what the cost of this AK was and he came back with $499.00+tax I almost dropped the gun!  

Me - "How much?"

Him - "$499"

"Did you just say $500?"

"Yeah."

"Where'd you get it?"

"Was it new?"

"Oh."

I don't even know why I go in there anymore. I guess it's cause it's one my way home and it makes me feel like I get great deals when I look at their prices!

And no I didn't get the .223 snap-caps I was looking for. They didn't have any in and judging by the prices on other snap-cap I think I can wait till the next gun show and get them there.

I guess they make they money on P.T. Barnum's theory........."There's a sucker born every minute."

Wow, I understand that these shops have overhead but that is crazy.

I would rather purchase from a local dealer than getting the same item at a funshow if possible, as long as the price is close to fair.

Supporting our local dealers is important to me because they have a tough enough time competing with the large dept. store chains and sometimes you need that certain item that Wally World does not carry.  

But incidents like this make me shake my head.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw a Romanian AK at a local gunstore for the same price. LOL.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a mak-90 and a cetme both used for $800 each...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep we got Cetme's here for the low low price of $800 here too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Cocaine is a hell of drug...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Gunstore are suck ripoffs at times.  My parents own a small hardware store so I know what type of costs are involved but that's crazy.  I usually support the local guy as long as it's with 15%.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
shops list the no ban wasr-gp's at $450-$500. ive seen a WASR with a tapco folder tagged for $600

people actually pay these prices quite often. alot of guys dont look at shotgun news/internet etc. they just want a "AK" and think they are getting a great deal.  these are the same people who walk into a car dealership and dealer offers $5,000 offf sticker and take the deal. what they dont realize is chevy, GMC, etc is offering a 5,000 rebate at the time, so the dealer sells it for full sticker price essentially.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Me - "How much?"

Him - "$499"

"Did you just say $500?"

"Yeah."

"Where'd you get it?"

"Was it new?"

"Oh."

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top