Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:26:30 PM EDT
I have a Yugo pistol in 7.26, that has a Krinkov style brake on the end of a 8" bbl. The brake comes loose after firing (when it gets hot). It can be tightened, however when it is tightened the detent pin is not extended into the cutout for it on the brake. The pin is about 1/4 turn from engaging the detent when tight. I was told to shim it with aluminum from a soda can, but this doesn't make sense to me as the brake only come in contact with a small portion of the pistol. I was thinking about a bushing of some sort inside the brake, but the inside of the brake doesn't contact the muzzle. can anyone help me??
here is a pic of the pistol:
http://i53.tinypic.com/15rh2ww.jpg

thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:43:43 AM EDT
more detailed pics pls, then i can help
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:37:20 PM EDT
alright I will post some pics tomorrow afternoon, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:13:35 PM EDT
alright here are some pics to show the detent on the brake, and the detent pin on the pistol (red arrows). When tightened down, the detent passes the pin (there is no wobble, but it will come loose with 5 or less rounds) When the detent is engaged with the pin the brake is loose and not tight on the pistol. I think I need to shim the brake, but you can see how little there is to shim, the brake is hollow inside, and Im not sure what I can fit in there. Let me know if you need more pics, thanks for your help!

http://i56.tinypic.com/6dzkoi.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/wqydxe.jpg
the image below shows the brake tightened, the detent is 1/4 turn past the pin.
http://i54.tinypic.com/1znubo6.jpg

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 1:15:55 AM EDT by randeeak47]
deepen the detent slot in the break and you will be good to go!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:49:13 AM EDT
So I should make another detent slot? the pin fits fine into the current slots, but it is not tight on the gun when the pin is in place. if I were to cut a new slot into the muzzle brake where the pin is currently depressed (like in the last photo above) I suppose it would work. is cutting up my brand new gun my only option?? I dont mind breaking out the trusty dremel, as I had to lengthen the mag opening just a few days ago to get mags to click into place, but cutting the brake would be visible, and I would like to avoid if possible. thanks for the idea! any others?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:11:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 8:14:56 AM EDT by randeeak47]
Originally Posted By kenduc999:
So I should make another detent slot? the pin fits fine into the current slots, but it is not tight on the gun when the pin is in place. if I were to cut a new slot into the muzzle brake where the pin is currently depressed (like in the last photo above) I suppose it would work. is cutting up my brand new gun my only option?? I dont mind breaking out the trusty dremel, as I had to lengthen the mag opening just a few days ago to get mags to click into place, but cutting the brake would be visible, and I would like to avoid if possible. thanks for the idea! any others?

NO NO NO DONT MAKE A NEW SLOT JUST MAKE THE EXISTING SLOT IN THE MUZZLE BRAKE LONGER!!!! SO THE DETENT CAN GO FURTHER SO IT DOESNT LOOSEN!! AND WHEN THEY ARE ON THEY ARE SUPOSE TO BE A LITTLE LOOSE!!!! HOPE THAT CLEARS IT UP?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:40:52 PM EDT
This wont work because the muzzle break is a reverse thread, it wouldnt hold pressure opposite of loosening. If I were to lengthen the original slot closest to the pin when the brake is tight, it will not keep the brake on tight (sorry, that is confusing). I would have to legthen the OTHER detent on the other side to make that work, which would mean making the detent stretch 3/4 of the whole brake. If this is my option I will be making another detent, as stretching the existing ones wont work/will mangle my brake. Anyone have any shim/bushing ideas that dont require hacking my brake up?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 3:40:45 PM EDT by EB_311]
Cant you just loosen it to the next cutout? It would have a little wiggle, but it would hold it in place right? Every AK I've handled has a little wiggle in the muzzle attachment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:12:51 PM EDT
it seems excessive to me, I am afraid that a built might strike it when fired. I have never owned an AK with a loose muzzle brake. It sounds like making another detent is probably my best option...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kenduc999:
it seems excessive to me, I am afraid that a built might strike it when fired. I have never owned an AK with a loose muzzle brake. It sounds like making another detent is probably my best option...

Even if it only caught the first two threads it shouldn't have enough play in it to interfere with the bullets path, but do what you feel is right. Have you considered a crush washer. I think they are wide enough that it will catch that small edge on the muzzle attachment. You would have to grind a spot out of it for your plunger, but that's easy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:21:28 PM EDT
I will look into the crush washer idea, I suppose it probably wont interfere with the bullet, however it is kinda lame to have the brake wobbling like that. thanks for the ideas!
Top Top