Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:15:56 PM EDT
Just got my shipment of Yugo AK mags from Centerfire, luckily all 8 are true Yugo magazines.
They are, however covered in a thick "cosmoline" type grease....its literally everywhere. The magazines travel up and down in slow motion, this shit is thick. Whats the best way to clean this up and get them ready for use? Would soaking them in gasoline or warm soapy water do the trick?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe boiling hot water dumped over a stone driveway would clear up the grease and you wouldn't have to worry about the mess.

Or you could try a plastic knife to scrape off as much as possible.  Followed by a gallon of simple green and lots of paper towels.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
For me... M.A.A.S. polish and a lot of spare washcloths. Some say that putting the parts in a tub of mineral spirits will work well too, saves you the work. I would fill a big tub with mineral spirits, dissasemble all the mags, and toss all the parts in it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Put them in a bucket, fill it with boiling soapy water, soak them for an hour, rinse them off good and then soak them in a bucket of kerosene for a day or two.

[Edited] Instead of the soap you can also try a 25% solution of Tough Task degreaser - I found it at Wallyworld, comes in a purple, anti-freeze looking container
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that Berryman Chem Dip does quite a number on cosmoline.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Oderless Mineral Sprits

Soak over night

Next day use a small brush

easy works on new SKS also
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Couple can of brake cleaner oughta gitrdun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I baked some Tantal mags and the oil on the inside burned up for me really nicely. cooking them at 300* is where I had them
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used a Degreaser Concentrate that Stanley Home Products makes, to very good effect. Use equal parts of Dawn detergent and the concentrate-- about half a cup of each in a five-gallon bucket-- throw in the mags and fill with very hot water-- stir, leave for a little while (or overnight), then use a brush on 'em, and you should be good to go. We used this technique a few years ago on a bunch of Thompson mags that had been pressure-filled with grease in the late 1940s, and it took it right off with almost no labor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Couple can of brake cleaner oughta gitrdun.

I didn't have any of this so I used engine degreaser. It worked. Just a little foamy.

I would try the brake cleaner. I have heard that it works very well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought 12 of the cheap mags from center fire systems and they were caked in grease. I tossed them into a lobster pot (yes she wasn't happy about that but who the hell needs a lobster pot?) and sprayed them all down with gun-flush (made by gunslick). This stuff worked awesome, I drenched them for about 20 seconds then turned them over in the bathtub to wash them out with some hot water. I crap you not, it looked like the Exxon Valdez crashed in my bathroom, all I needed was a bird stuck in their and I would of had PETA on my ass. Long story short, dishwashing liquid cuts it just fine with hot water. I probably could of just used soap with hot water from the start but you need to learn some how right?

Best 5 dollar mags I have, they cleaned up real nice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I soak my heavily coated parts in kerosene. It takes the grease right off. Works great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I clean cosmoline off rifles and magazines with either mineral spirits or paint thinner.  Disassemle them and let them soak for about 30 minutes then use a toothbrush on them - rinse them quickly, let them dry and reassemble.  I have never had to let anything set overnight or more than an hour......
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Wife works late....I use the dishwasher. I got her broke so it isn't a problem.

Her girlfriend opened it to get a glass and there it was. My yugo SKS stock had been degreased and dent steamed.. Girlfreind says what the hell? Wife answers Oh it's ok he never does that with dishes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wife works late....I use the dishwasher. I got her broke so it isn't a problem.

Her girlfriend opened it to get a glass and there it was. My yugo SKS stock had been degreased and dent steamed.. Girlfreind says what the hell? Wife answers Oh it's ok he never does that with dishes.

I tried cleaning mine in the dishawasher, and it worked fine except I had to call maintenance to unclog the dishwasher drain the next day...doh!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell....they're metal AK mags. Go ahead and soak 'em in gasoline. Then light 'em on fire. That'll get it off. And be fun as hell, too. Then just rinse the black stuff off in the sink and they're good as new!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#16]
hell i've just used some brake free and brake cleaner.. and a old towl.. alot of work later my stuff has been clean...

but i like chris's method and will use that one next time...

BURN BABY BURN
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
for me, the easiest way is to get some diesel (sp?) from the gas station. It cuts cosmoline like butter.  disassemble, and drop the parts in diesel, and run a tooth brush over them real quick. set aside to drip dry. wipe off with a shop rag, and reasemble.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Just have your wife wash them in hot soapy water.

It worked for my Yugo

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I ended up buying 4 cans of brake cleaner at WalMart and a bucket. I soaked the disassembled components in soapy water over night, then rinsed them off and began spraying them down with the brake cleaner in the bucket. After 4 cans of cleaner, there was enough in the bucket for them to soak for a few hours. This worked very well, though not perfectly, I brought them with me to the quarter car wash for some washing. This worked amazingly. I carefully secured the mag bodies under my boot and went to town. The only thing that didn't get pressure washed was the floorplates. They look as good now as they did when they were helping some Albainiac play a round of genocide. Mag condition is poor, though. A few look almost brand new, others look like they have been banged around in a mag pouch while running from IFOR tanks/helos. Some slight surface rust....next time, I will be buying brand new ones. My girlfriend had a shit-fit because the sink knobs were sticky from when I was touching them with cosmoline on my paws. Getting her to scrub down my funky magazines, thats pretty funny. You are a lucky man.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#20]
You guys came up with alot of good methods to deal with Cosmoline...I am a non-smoker; therefore, I'm going to try the Gasoline Method
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Put some gasoline in a pan and simmer over low heat, the cosmoline will come right off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Put some gasoline in a pan and simmer over low heat, the cosmoline will come right off.

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I have used TSP and boiling water to clean mags in bulk with pretty good results.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Try using the parts washer at the local gas station.
Works for me.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top