Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/6/2006 5:56:43 AM EDT
I know this has been tossed about a lot, BUT...
I can 100% tell that the bore of my kit is NOT chromed, however the chamber is 100% clean and has the same look and coloration of the inside of an AR bolt carrier.  I have tried to take a couple photos, but I just can't get the lighting right.  Is is possible that a kit with a 1993 date on the trunnion could have a chromed chamber?

Pics coming... not good pics, but something  in the first one out of focus, but you can see all the way to the end of the chamber and it is very silvery, but not in that naked steel way.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ill say it again, Yugos dont have chromed barrels!

That being said, your looks to have a chromed barrel. If you figure out how that happened ill buy you a happy meal at McDonalds because i find this topic to be very interesting
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.... thats different .
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
i have seen a chromed barrel yugo befor
how it got that way i have no idea i would have bought it but the owner thought it was gold lined
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The chambers usually look like new even when the barrels are dark.  Many times the corrosion doesnt start until the last several inches of the barrel.  I think that is just the way the corrosion works and not because any part of the barrel or chamber is chromed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a recent Serbian-USA investment conference here a few months ago and the Zastava guys were there.  I gave a few of them a ride to their hotel as a courtesy; senior folks, I can check business cards and figure out their names, if I still have the cards.

I asked about chrome lining and their opinion was 'for a regular army that can clean its weapons, it is not neccessary.'' - This from the passenger seat of my car.

Also told me that the  M92 kits were demilled at a separate section of the factory so as not to upset the workers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that info.  BTW the date that is on the side above M70AB2, is that the actual manuf. date?  mine is 1993
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that a can of Natty light in the back ground?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is that a can of Natty light in the back ground?  

36 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1   For that to get noticed... damn you guys are slipping.  

I have to afford my hobby somehow
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My 1997 M95A kits both have chrome lined bores, so they do have the ability.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Aren't the gas pistons hard chromed? They look it to me, but I am no expert on this matter. I have seen several pistons that were pitted and eaten into, so are the pistons bare metal or hard chromed??????

Quoted:
My 1997 M95A kits both have chrome lined bores, so they do have the ability.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Aren't the gas pistons hard chromed? They look it to me, but I am no expert on this matter. I have seen several pistons that were pitted and eaten into, so are the pistons bare metal or hard chromed??????

Now that I look at it, it appears that the pistons are chromed.  The finish is definitely different than the stainless bolt carrier.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top