Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 2:05:01 PM EDT
I went out and shot some groups today.  At 50 yards, 35 degrees, about a 5-10 knot crosswind, and wolf ammo, the groups were under 2" every time.  The best group was about one inch.  All of this was done prone.

I think I saw the limits of the weapon's accuracy today.  How do my groups compare with those of other Yugos?  I have had this thing less than a week, it has close to 400 rounds through it so far.  How's that sound?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds as good as mine were using Barnaul.  Like I've said before, this is an awesome weapon capable of more than acceptable accuracy out to and beyond typical combat ranges.  Congrats on your purchase.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here, also about the same out to 100.  The real limiting factor is the sites.  That rear notch is awful small and does not contrast well with the front post.  I really do wonder what it could do with a scope?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I too wonder about a scope for this rifle.  The reciever mounts don't look too promising.  Mounting an inexspensive scope right above a massive metal to metal impact is asking for loss of zero.  I do wonder if inserting a recoil buffer would help things?  Are there any other methods of mounting a scope that I didn't catch?  If nothing else maybe swapping in a different scope for the cheap one that everyone sells with the mount might help things? thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen scopes mounts that attach to the side of the receive somehow (don't ask me how) and then place the mounting platform over the dust cover.  I would try this but the ones that I've seen require some modifications to the stock in order to mount them correctly.  I like my Yugo just the way it is and am not willing to cut the stock up for a scope mount.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Go over to www,surplusrifle.com
You will be way ahead of the game to go with the mount made by Choate Machine & Tool. It requires drilling and tapping the receiver but this is the only way to go to hold a zero and to be able to clean the rifle without removing the scope/mount. Another point I would say to do is to read the posts on all the SKS sites. Lots of horror stories out there on those cheap scopes and the mounting systems. You only get what you pay for!
Dave Mc
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy Mike purchased an Unissued Yugo SKS, and it was dead on from the arsenal of origin. No adjustment to the iron sights was necessary.

After purchasing a scope/reciever cover package that replaced the original rear receiver cover, Mike and our Army Guard Armorer, Rick, took it out to the range to adjust the scope and examine it's full accuracy potential.

The scope was a fixed 4-power model manufactured by Leapers, and the total cost of the scope and replacement receiver cover was no more than $40, so this was a bargain scope to be sure. No Leupold I'm sure (although I've not looked at it as of this writing). However, both Mike and Rick swore that the Yugo SKS was capable of near sub-MOA groups at 100 yards with scope. Its accuracy was frightening. Rick, who shoots .308 Match ammo through bolt actions, was astounded at the dead-nuts accuracy of a  (1) surplus (2)East-Bloc and (3)semi-auto rifle; all three descriptors normally associated with firearms that are considered plinkers.

Go to Interordnance.com to get yourself a smoking hot deal on these UNISSED SKS rifles for a mere $109 (dealer cost). You won't regret it. JOE
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top