Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
Ok guys, tell me that it is normal for a yugo barrel to be the most stubborn barrel. Is the a hidden second pin or a weld, maybe they were fused together in hells furnace.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
For some reason, on a few Yugo's I have run into, when they originally headspace the barrel, it leaves extra metal at the top of the trunion barrel area during the reaming operation.. When you do a demill on that assembly, the metal galls the barrel and trunion as they are pushed apart. It also makes it very hard to push the barrel out. With one particular unit, I thought that I was going to break a 20 ton press. There is only one pin to remove by the way.

Quoted:
Ok guys, tell me that it is normal for a yugo barrel to be the most stubborn barrel. Is the a hidden second pin or a weld, maybe they were fused together in hells furnace.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When you do a demill on that assembly, the metal galls the barrel and trunion as they are pushed apart. It also makes it very hard to push the barrel out. With one particular unit,

+1

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You can tell a rifle kit that has had this problem during the build by pulling back on the bolt carrier and looking at the top of the barrel where it slid through the trunion. The galling, if it occurs, shows there like a mashed thumb. Filing the galling down with a file before reinstalling the barrel helps the reinstalation and makes the build look better IMHO..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine was pretty difficult.  Both the barrel pin and barrel were pretty badly galled when they came out.  When I measured the outside diameter of the  barrel, it was .004-.006 larger than the trunnion.  It was kind of hard getting back in too, had to freeze the barrel and use liberal amounts of anti-seize.  The barrel pin I just gave up on getting all the way back in.  The sledgehammer started to deform it, so I figured it was in far enough to keep the barrel in place and shouldn't be problematic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Makes you wonder how the factories put them together in the first place...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When you do a demill on that assembly, the metal galls the barrel and trunion as they are pushed apart.

The 1st two barrels I did were galled.  After that I started shooting some lube into the pin hole prior to pulling and haven't seen a lick of galling since.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Yugo barrel that maxed out my 12 ton press, and won't budge.  I've removed/installed five other barrels before with no problem.  I ended up just setting that one aside to deal with later.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top