Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2006 2:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 2:26:25 PM EDT by Lonerunner1]
I have been looking at RPK kits. Looking for a 7.62x39 version. Romanian or Yugo are about the only options. The Romys have chrome lined bores and the Yugos have a partially ribbed barrel. The Romy's also have the RPK buttstock where as the Yugos have the standard AK buttstock. Aside from that I can't really find any difference. Is one better than the other?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:09:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:15:55 PM EDT
Tell you what, here is what I have seen comparign these two in person. I saw both of these on Copes Distributing table at a gun show. Copes Yugo Rpks look very very nice, and the bore looks great. The guy said they all look like that, and I do believe him. He laso said the ones he is recently receiving have been all very nice. Yugo will have matching number parts, I dont think any of the romanian ones do. The yugo barrel is like 1/8" thicker than the romanian, it looks tough, put it that way. I like the ribbed barrel also.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:44:49 PM EDT
I got the Yugo, just cause I'm crazy like that
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:57:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Templar:
The Yugo's have been through the Yugo Civil War, so they have a lot of history behind them.

The Romanians will (probably) have less wear and tear.

The Romanians actually have more exterior wear and tear than the Yugos - however with the chrome bore, ive yet to see a dark or corroded bore.

Dont forget, most of the Romanian kits coming in are from the 60's and 70's. The Romanians went through a civil war in the late 80's, so these also have history behind them.

If you want a more traditional RPK, choose a Romanian.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:58:48 PM EDT
Russian Kit on VEPR Receiver..............hee hee

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
You ought to see and hold the barrel of the Yugo........I'll have to post some pics when I am not on the road next week, God it is heavy and tough, these kits are no joke, very good bore, however my bolt and bolt carrier is greyish black with alot of micropiting......like you see on the HK91 bolts, I seriously would get a Yugo from Copes
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT by tapeo1]

Originally Posted By SVT:

The Romanians went through a civil war in the late 80's, so these also have history behind them.

It was more like a coup d'etat that lasted for 10 days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:36:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tapeo1:

The Romanians went through a civil war in the late 80's, so these also have history behind them.

Regardless of time elapsed, war is war. With an estimated 10,000 killed during the civil war, id say it has its merits.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:51:01 AM EDT

Regardless of time elapsed, war is war. With an estimated 10,000 killed during the civil war, id say it has its merits.

I'm not sure where you got your 10,000 death estimate from. Most estimates I've seen have listed 1,500 to 2,000 deaths.

www.answers.com/topic/list-of-wars-and-disasters-by-death-toll
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:42:16 AM EDT

I'm not sure where you got your 10,000 death estimate from. Most estimates I've seen have listed 1,500 to 2,000 deaths.

www.answers.com/topic/list-of-wars-and-disasters-by-death-toll

From this online source:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/countryfacts/romania.html

I dont know which is correct, nor does it interest me enough to research much more on the subject.
Top Top