Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 1:56:22 PM EDT
My dealer is getting in some Yugo M76 rifles very soon. I was originally thinking of picking up a PSL for some longer distance shooting, but now that hes telling me hes got these yugos coming in I'm thinking about one of these instead to add to my yugo collection. I don't know much about the M76. Do any of you all have one and can tell me about it? How i compares to the PSL...besides for price. Will this gun shoot any surplus 8mm ammo? Thanks guys i appreciate any advise you can give me
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot surplus 8mm, but isn't the M76 like $1500 more than a PSL for about the same accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than using the kalashinkov action they are not the same gun.  The M76 is better finished (is milled), shoots an 8mm, has decent accuracy(2-3" moa), and a heavier barrel.  The PSL look like they were throw together by a monkey at Century (stamped reciever and parts), they shoot 7.62x54, have a pencil thin barrel that heats up after 10 rnds, and accuracy is generally 3-4" moa.  The big difference is the M76 is typically around $1600, the psl $600.  FWIW for a general plinker the PSL would be a much better buy IMHO.  Ammo is cheaper and refinishing is a breeze, just don't expect it to shoot anywhere near as well as a M1a or even an FAL for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
PSL........................Just use quality ammo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The 76 truely is a nicer weapon, but functionally, the 76 doesn't do anything that the PSL won't do.  The only real advantage you would have with the 76 is perhaps easier access to truely high quality ammo.  But if you look around and you're willing to spend a little more, you can get high quality ammo for the PSL.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I paid $600 for my Century PSL and about $200 more to get it to where it is now and I'm getting a conservative 2 inch MOA using Hungarian light ball ammo out to 600 yards.

Prior to buying my PSL I considered an M76 and shopped around for some of what the local shops had available.  I had the chance to compare a couple Century M76s against a Krebs built M76 and the the quality difference was obviously apparent.  Unfortunately so was the price difference.  The two biggest issues I noticed on the Century rifles were excessive gaps/fitting issues with the safety selector in the "safe" position, top cover fitting and receiver relief cuts.  The Krebs gun was much better built, but the price was more than twice that of the Century guns.  A buddy of mine has one of the Century M76s.  I have had the chance to shoot this gun using the same ammo (type) I am firing through my PSL and accuracy has been very consistent between these two rifles.  The difference being, I paid a third less for my gun than he did for his.  There also seems to be a wider selection of ammo choices available in 7.62x54 as opposed to 7.92x57.  Now that I have a PSL in my collection, I would love to also have an M76. However, if I had neither, I would first choose the PSL over the M76.  FWIW...
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I paid $600 for my Century PSL and about $200 more to get it to where it is now and I'm getting a conservitive 2 inch MOA using Hungarian light ball ammo out to 600 yards.
http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1711/12556242/22336299/374237806.jpg
Prior to buying my PSL I considered an M76 and shopped around for some of what the local shops had available.  I had the chance to compare a couple Century M76s against a Krebs built M76 and the the quality difference was obviously apparent.  Unfortunately so was the price difference.  The two biggest issues I noticed on the Century rifles were excessive gaps/fitting issues with the safety selector in the "safe" position, top cover fitting and receiver relief cuts.  The Krebs gun was much better built, but the price was more than twice that of the Century guns.  A buddy of mine has one of the Century M76s.  I have had the chance to shoot this gun using the same ammo I am firing through my PSL and accuracy has been very consistent between these two rifles.  The difference being, I paid a third less for my gun than he did for his.  There also seems to be a wider selection of ammo choices available in 7.62x54 as opposed to 7.92x57.  Now that I have a PSL in my collection, I would love to also have an M76. However, if I had neither, I would first choose the PSL over the M76.  FWIW...

Nice PSL.  I am wondering though where your friend got an M76 chambered in 7.62 x54, I wasn't aware that they made them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I paid $600 for my Century PSL and about $200 more to get it to where it is now and I'm getting a conservitive 2 inch MOA using Hungarian light ball ammo out to 600 yards.
http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1711/12556242/22336299/374237806.jpg
Prior to buying my PSL I considered an M76 and shopped around for some of what the local shops had available.  I had the chance to compare a couple Century M76s against a Krebs built M76 and the the quality difference was obviously apparent.  Unfortunately so was the price difference.  The two biggest issues I noticed on the Century rifles were excessive gaps/fitting issues with the safety selector in the "safe" position, top cover fitting and receiver relief cuts.  The Krebs gun was much better built, but the price was more than twice that of the Century guns.  A buddy of mine has one of the Century M76s.  I have had the chance to shoot this gun using the same ammo I am firing through my PSL and accuracy has been very consistent between these two rifles.  The difference being, I paid a third less for my gun than he did for his.  There also seems to be a wider selection of ammo choices available in 7.62x54 as opposed to 7.92x57.  Now that I have a PSL in my collection, I would love to also have an M76. However, if I had neither, I would first choose the PSL over the M76.  FWIW...

Nice PSL.  I am wondering though where your friend got an M76 chambered in 7.62 x54, I wasn't aware that they made them.

Sorry, My bad...  I meant to say that we were both using the same "type" of ammo.  I was using Russian 7N1 ammo in the PSL.  My friend had some of the Yugo 8mm ammo shown below for the M76, which I have been told is the mil-surp equivelant to the 7N1 ammo...
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, I thought maybe I missed out on it.  That would be a real savings to get an m76 that could shoot cheap and easy to find 762 54r.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
So does anyone here actually have an M76 that they can post a pic of, or show us some groups?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
My M76 has been a jewel.  100% reliable with Romy surplus, Yugo M75 surplus, and Prvi 196 gr. SP.
Prices are dropping on these, I got mine for $1300 shipped.  It's worth every penny of that to me, I love it.  I always wanted one and finally got off the fence and did something about it.
It shoots 1.5-2.0 MOA with the M75 and Prvi, and about 3 MOA with the Romy surplus.  Some others on other forums are claiming 1 MOA with these rifles, but that's what I'm getting from mine with the ammo I'm currently shooting.

The ON-76B scope included with these rifles is excellent, with exceptional clarity.  It is centered over the bore of the rifle, and the mount has a see-through window that allows the use of the irons with the scope in place.
I need to BLO the wood, it's dry as a bone.  It's next on my list of things to do.
Some pics.  They aren't the greatest, but they're all I have at the moment.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
do this
sweetest thing to do with a PSL
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
do this
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
do this

double tap. sorry
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
20 round mag for the PSL???
That would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
do this

Here is my PSL
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:30:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for sharing the pics LiquidMetal.................  I've been on the fence myself, but I've debated if it really usable, or is it a collector piece. I wondered the same
about my PSL, but after shooting and testing between 25 to 500 yards, I have absolute faith in it, and would use out to 500. The groups I have gotten have been
scary good....

Speaking of which; SOC, did you have any other accuracy improvements on your PSL?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy the PSL now while they are priced right. The 8mm would be nice...but I dought it will shoot circles aournd the PSL. I recently ordered an SVD mount from Kalinka and placed a burris fullfield II on top of the weapon. I was impressed. Will be hunting with this rig in 30 days.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top