Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
I have searched but didn't found any useful information regarding this issue.  

Please don't make this post a "Place X sucks and yada yada, they miss-represent their products, etc, etc".  There are too many of them on this board the way it is, and not enough useful information.  

I have a couple of Yugo kits that have "dark bores".  Holding them up to the light, they are fairly dirty, but don't seem to be too bad.  

Two main questions:

Can the barrels in "dark bore" part kits be saved?  I have found a method for cleaning out barrels here, but don't know how useful this would be for "dark bores".  Would this work?

Obviously if they have ripped out rifling, bulges or something serious the barrel should not be used.

But, if the barrel can be cleaned could they become useful shooters?  Sure they will not be MOA rifles but then again there are very few if any AK's out there that are.

Oh . . . . . and a third question, Is there a test that can identify if there is a problem with the barrel?  I.E. a bullet drop test?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
i wouldnt worry about cleaning them
not to say that isnt a usefull tool
just that a clip of ammo will clear any crap out of your barrel

even if the rifleing is muffed in a few spots so you go from a 6in group to a 10-12 in group
still a fun shooter

build them up :)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Always run a patch down the bore on a new rifle.  You never know what has crawled up there in the last 30 years.  I disagree with the last post.  I have had barrels before (mainly a 30-40 Krag) that was pitted horribly, I cleaned the holy snot out of it.  It cleaned up OK but it was still badly pitted.  I shot aproximately 200 rnds of copper jacketed bullets through it and the accuract got better.  I think the copper was actually filling the pits in and rubbing other crap out.  Drive a wooden dowel or a rubber plug into one end of the barrel and fill it with your favorite bore cleaner (something strong, Remingington or Hoppes #9)  mix a little wd-40 or PB blaster in the brew and let it sit for a few days.  Drain the juice out, brush the crap out of it and then wrap some 000 steel wool on the brush, chuck it in a hand drill and scrub away.  This will destroy the brush but it does clean it up right.

Just my opinion.

OMP

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i wouldnt worry about cleaning them
not to say that isnt a usefull tool
just that a clip of ammo will clear any crap out of your barrel

even if the rifleing is muffed in a few spots so you go from a 6in group to a 10-12 in group
still a fun shooter

build them up :)

Damn Candyman...  I can't believe that YOU said clip.
Just messing with you man!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe(I hope) he meant use a stripper clip guide and put 10 rounds into a mag using a stripper clip.

therefore one clip worth of ammo
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can the barrels in "dark bore" part kits be saved?

if the barrel can be cleaned could they become useful shooters?  

Yes, and yes!

First thing, just start scrubbing it out with a brass bore brush and your favorite bore cleaning solvent.  Get aggressive with it.  No magic bullet here, just plain old elbow grease.  Get the worst of the crud out.  After that I would plug the bore and fill the barrel up with your favorite bore cleaning solvent, and leave it for a day or two.  Ed's Red, Hoppes, whatever.  Kroil penetrating oil works very well too.  Pour that out, and go back to the bore brush and patches.  Standard stuff, really...just more than is usual.  If there's a ton of copper in there, you might look into making an electro-bore cleaner for yourself.  In the end you may still have a dark bore, but you can still shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Post #3 on this thread.

that is all.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Bore brush and rod chucked up to a med. speed drill and baking soda toothpaste.
Took a dark bore and made it shinny.
One of 50 possible methods,but really brings out the crud.Rinse,lots of WD40,oil.
Good luck
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 what candyman said.

I cleaned ad scrubbed my yugo for hours, still looked like crap.

took it out and ran a 100 rounds through it and it looked much better.

I would recomend steel case bullets, better polishing effect.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO more of these Yugo dark bores have been ruined by excess cleaning than anything else (and yes, I learned my lesson the hard way).  My advice is to swab it out with your favorite bore cleaner.  Build it.  Shoot it.  Swab it again.  Most will shoot much better than they look.  The one I overcleaned shot 20" groups.  The ones I barely cleaned shoot as good as or better than any other AK.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used JB bore brite and a brass brush on a rusted up pitted barrel and it cleaned it up pretty good, it turned out to be a decent shooter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) to inititally clean out the dark bores on the kits when I first open the box up.  After scrubbing thoroughly, and watching the "muddy" mix ooze out, I then go over it with hoppes,  scrub, run patches through until they come out clean, then finish it off with a light coat of oil.  I've been able to turn out very decent bores from kits that began with sewer pipes as barrels.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
This is how I will clean my Yugo

I ran some patches thru my barrel and can see rifling, she will be fine

FREE
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FREE

Don't you mean this is how your wife will clean your Yugo?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
these are used military parts kits

yugoslavia=corrosive ammo

these are meant to be used

run a patch to clean it out and shoot it.

if you want a match grade barrel, buy a remy pss:)

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh you mean Mrs Freefall/Yugo Maintenace supervisor

She is my expert Cosmoline remover

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:
FREE

Don't you mean this is how your wife will clean your Yugo?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never heard so much about cleaning an ak in my life. I didn't even know it was possible . Build and shoot.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top