User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 6:51:39 PM EDT
Any opinions about these kits?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The bores are dark,some are in bad shape while others are serviceable.I've seen them with like new finish or almost no finish,some also have carvings on the buttstock.The Yugo kits are a genuine piece of history,all are veterans of the Balkans War [or Yugoslavia's Civil War.]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
They are very nice, just the bores can be suspect.  

cool RPK trunnion and grenade sight that turns off the gas supply when raised.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you buy these kits for a build though?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I would buy a wsar 10 cut up into a parts kit before I bought a yugo one
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get a good one they are fabulous. It has some really unusual features that nothing else has. My Yugo is great, I took it out and it as accurate as any of my 7.62's.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've looked into them as a possible next project myself Slammer...

Like JOHNO said, ALL Yugoslavian barrels have "Dark Bores". I'm told this is a result of the use of corrosive Yugo Ammo. I've chatted with several Yugo owners and from what I've learned getting a Yugo kit can be a total crap-shoot as far as the barrels go. Some kits come with barrels that are so corroded that a cleaning patch can't be run through it, while others have told me that their barrels weren't that bad at all: sharp rifling with just a small amount of pitting in them.

Is buying a Yugo kit a good idea? It's totally up to you. If it's a Yugo AK you want, I'd suggest buying a complete gun instead of a kit. I think Red Star Arms builds Yugo's and they offer a one year warranty on them if I remember correctly. At least you know the barrel is a clean one.

I have also seen Yugo front ends for sale at FTF Industries for something like $50.00. (Barrel, Trunion, Furniature, Gas tube, Front Sight, everything).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=38315059

Alot cheaper than getting a full parts set and ideal for building a Frankenstein AK. What are the Yugo kits going for now? $150.00 - $175.00?  You could buy a Romy Kit & Yugo Front end for around that much and end up with a pretty cool gun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've bought two,I got my underfolder kit earlier this week,great condition.I turned around and ordered a hand picked full stock kit from CFS yesterday,I had to pay extra for hand pick,but I think it'll be worth it.I've already sent the underfolder kit and DCI reciever to In Range,now I need to find a DCI reciever for the fixed stock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I bought two fixed stock kits, and the ones I got are very nice.  The bores are shiny with very crisp rifling.  There is a rumor making the rounds that new condition kits are on the way.  I am not sure if it is true or not, but if so, it might be worth waiting.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]
get the $89 one from centerfire but make sure you get handpicked. that's how I got mine. mine is in NICE condition. Bore is superb. rifling is still very sharp and visible. I'm guessing the rifle had about 1,000 rounds through it and that's it judging by how it is. There's no pitting or rust either. I'm guessing whoever had my rifle was a guard of some kind because it didnt see much use. he shot it for practice and that was probably it. I'm tempted to buy one more before they run out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top