Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/15/2004 6:19:38 PM EST
I have yet another question about changing out the stocks on my stamped AK. I have completed the upper and lower handguards and pistol grip but I still lack the buttstock.

I have two options of getting it out. Heating it then prying it loose or simply hitting it with a dowel from the inside a few times. Mike @ ORF advised me against the heating of it so I think I will shy away from that for now. Is there any other methods you guys suggest?

Also, assuming I get it out and get the new one in I still have to drill holes in the buttstock. Now how should I do that? By that I mean do I drill while the stock is in the reciever or do I need to put the stock in, mark where the holes need to be, get it back out, drill, then put it back in? Which would you all do? And also, I now know all about pilot holes so I think I am safe in that regard.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:35:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 6:36:03 PM EST by scromer]
I use a 3/8" socket drive extension and just whack it out from the inside with a hammer. It helps to remove the fire control group when you do this. The trigger can sometimes get in the way.

Once you get the new one in, just drill your pilot holes with it in place.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:33:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:51:19 PM EST
Ok guys I need some real help here. I need to get this buttstock out. It refuses to budge. And no matter how hard I hit it with a dowel or screwdriver it will not budge. A few members suggested heating it up but when I talked to Mike at ORF he advised against that and said to keep at it with a dowel. My problem is that I have no vise or other holding device, and I do not want to damage the finish. Any ideas on how to get this thing out with a vise? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:45:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:46:10 PM EST
my SAR1 stock was tight as hell. i wrapped it in a towel and put it in a big vise. i pulled hard and wiggled the receiver sideways and it came loose. worth a try, especially if you don't want to wreck the stock. wiggle sideways more than pulling straight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:45:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By inferno715:
my SAR1 stock was tight as hell. i wrapped it in a towel and put it in a big vise. i pulled hard and wiggled the receiver sideways and it came loose. worth a try, especially if you don't want to wreck the stock. wiggle sideways more than pulling straight.

Well I don't have a vise. Hence why I am looking for a way to get the stock off without one to help me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:23:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:19:23 PM EST
i bet you know someone with a vise. i smacked mine with a rubber mallet and it didn't seem to help any. i still have a bruise from accidentally hitting my finger.

padded, in a vise is the way to go IMO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:31:40 PM EST
I had the same problem with a maddi. What I did was if you look inside the receiver you will figure out how to get a screw driver in there and pry it back away from the front of the reciever. I don't have my gun infront of me and am to lazy to go get it but that is how I did it. I did use some clp around the area of the receiver and the stock contact and a rather large flathead screwdriver. Just take one and mess around with it and you will figure out how to pry it bacwards Remeber always lube firstpaige
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:35:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By paigecm1:
I had the same problem with a maddi. What I did was if you look inside the receiver you will figure out how to get a screw driver in there and pry it back away from the front of the reciever. I don't have my gun infront of me and am to lazy to go get it but that is how I did it. I did use some clp around the area of the receiver and the stock contact and a rather large flathead screwdriver. Just take one and mess around with it and you will figure out how to pry it bacwards Remeber always lube first
paige

That is not possible with a OOW 5.45 reciever. There is not hole to pry it loose in. I do know someone with a vise though, ORF.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:14:20 PM EST
Maybe this will work. Put the rifle in a freezer for a few hours and when you remove it, use a hair dryer to warm the metal around the stock. Try to keep the stock cold and just warm the receiver area. Then see if there is any wiggle room to get it started moving. If you have a buddy hold on to the barrel (or use your feet) while you pull on the stock might do it.
Top Top