Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/21/2005 7:55:19 AM EDT
Hey guys, I just got my romy kit, anything special that I need to know about that I might not already know?  I experimented and mixed some parts with a type 3 russian I've got (one of those PLO milled kits) it looks really amazing  I'll be selling off any parts I don't use, so if anybody needs parts, let me know.  Got my kit from www.sksman.com (otherwise known as Paul's Guns), the kit is great and included US trigger parts (Tapco G2).  Just need to get the grease off and get around to doing receiver work now.  Anybody got advice on receivers for a first-time builder ?  I was considering some of the Coldsteel 80% receiver shells, anybody know about doing those ?  I'm pretty good with tools and I have a good understanding of how the AK works from hanging around here since February.  Oh, another thing, how deep should I drill when getting the rivets out ?  I don't want to wreck my trunnions.  Kinda planning on doing a screw build with this, so if anybody has advice on that or wants to talk me out of it, go for it.  Anyways, figured I ought to let everybody know I'm about to have myself a mixed russian/romanian child ETA: I got a pic
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
dude, I can't believe you put that greasy kit on your carpet... If I did that, momma would KILL me...

Can I talk your out of doing a screw build?  basic tools are all that's needed to knock  a barrel out.

IF you do drill the rivets out, look at the trunion from the front, and you can see how deep to drill. don't drill into the barrle.

I suppose a bent shell is one way to go... I perfer a flat, cut it with a dremel, leaving a very small amount intact, and fold it up. I saw some laser cut flats on auctionarm.com or gunbroker.com a few days ago, cheap.. like $30

And all the holes are drilled int he correct place.

There is some fitting that needs to be done either way.  I folded mine up, after cutting it, and used the trunions as a guide. Then welded up the seams, carefully. It doesn't look as nice, but I am sure it is stronger than a bent flat, or a bent shell.

I guess witha  bent shell, the only major thing you could mess up, would be placing the trigger guard int he wrong place. but that's a big one.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, will this tool work for riveting AK trunnions ? Link
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey, will this tool work for riveting AK trunnions ? Link

Nope, that's for pop rivets.  You can mod a set of boltcutters to do the job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
So far, I've gotten the rear trunnion off, got the trigger guard off of the receiver stub and started on the front trunnion (decided to call it a day, I was getting tired and I don't want to screw this up).  Any ideas on how to get the rivets off of the other portion of the trigger guard/mag catch ?  It's those 4 rivets, already took care of the one in the back.  Just use the drill like I have been doing ?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
yup. dremel em away / punch them out when they get small enough if you want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a Dremel cutting wheel like an angle grinder and cut the round heads down, then punch out the stem or use a drill press.  On the trunion, remove the barrel first, then go for the rivets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok guys, I got it, I just built my kit today on a dummy receiver, it looks awesome

Will take more pics later with Type III foregrip and PG in place
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks great... but wondering why you would use a G2 trigger kit to put together a replica gun?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That looks great... but wondering why you would use a G2 trigger kit to put together a replica gun?

chicks dig that kind of stuff !!

you are  eventually gonna put a legit reciever on that thing and shoot it....ain't ya???
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]
What the hell is that stubby little thing hanging out the mag well, kinda looks like a real magazine, only smaller. Slap a 30 in there next time before taking pictures, it might develop a self image complex if the other rifles see it and start teasing it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like Bob1984 is from Maryland, they're not allowed to play with 30 round stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

didn't use a g2 trigger, I still have it in the package for when I build the real deal.  And yes, I'm in MD, that's why I've got the puny mag
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

chicks dig that kind of stuff !!

you are  eventually gonna put a legit reciever on that thing and shoot it....ain't ya???

Yep, I definitely plan on it

ETA, I showed my g/f, who happens to be into art, and she's really proud of me and stuff, she thinks it's awesome.  So yeah, chicks really do dig it, she's coming over tonight so I can show her my AK lol j/k, but you all get the idea.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top