Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2004 2:55:08 PM EDT
I am somewhat new to AK's and varients. I am planning on building one in the near future and have thought about the AMD65 kits. However, I like the shorter barrel of the AMD65 but i think the foward pistol grip is just but ugly. Would I be able to fit a wood forearm (upper and lower) with out much hastle?hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a wood lower forearm by altering the retainer but the upper will require you to cut down a standard gas/piston tube and flare it to fit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The lower is easy.  There are 3 ways to do it.  From easiest to hardest...

1.  There are 2 small metal pins that keep the sheetmetal guard in place.  Just notch the end of the handguard that fits into the retainer to clear the pins.

2.  Remove the metal pins from the retainer.  The pins have a post that is inserted into the retainer and then peened over to keep them in place.  You can grind the end of the post off with a Dremel tool and easily remove the pins.

3.  Remove the Front Sight Block and Gas Block to replace the retainer with a standard version.  This is a lot of work and will cost you for the retainer, but it is an option.  Personally, I'd go with option #1 or #2.

A standard gas tube can be shortened like HKJAY said.  Just cut the tube to the same length as the original 65 gas tube.  You may want to leave it long and file it for a perfect fit.  To get the flare back on the tube, you can use a 3/8" socket extension.  The extension usually has a nice radius transition from the shaft to the end that fits the wrench.  This radius quickly returns the gas tube to a round shape when you force the extension into the tube.  You can use a hammer or a vise (or hydraulic press) to push the extension into the gas tube.  Then use a socket as a round form to help get a perfect end on the tube.  File it to length and you're set.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
However, I like the shorter barrel of the AMD65 ...

Don't forget you have to lengthen the barrel of a 65 to 16" anyway, now you basically have a AMD63, only with a folding stock, with the exception of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
or you can go plastic!!!

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top