Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/29/2004 1:53:42 PM EST
Well I'm refinishing my cheapo wasr-10 and there are a couple small chunks missing in the lower handguard. I steamed up as much as I could using linx310's tutorial but there is still noticeable dents where wood is missing.

Should I use filler and take the chance that the stain will look crappy in those places?

Or should I say screw it it just gives the gun character!

Let me know what you think!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:18:36 PM EST
You could always do what I did.

Replace the handguards with Ironwood units. These are a US made product. So I was able to maintain my parts count while adding a red bakelite Romy pistol grip.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:41:45 PM EST
That furniture sure looks awesome. I can't afford that at the moment so I'm just gonna end up staining the original wood for now. I just need some input on filling the gouges or not. I'm leaning towards leaving them alone rather than having different colored spots in the wood.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:04:58 PM EST
Thanks.

I think I would go with not filling. Unless you knew the filler would take the stain.

Besides, slight dents build character and give it "used" look.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:56:56 PM EST
Most wood filler sucks. A lot of them are non-stainable or won't harden. However, you can make your own. All you need is a glue that dries clear and some shavings / dust from the wood of the rifle. Mix the two together and you have your own filler. You'd probably want to do some research on the glue / stain your using (either online or test it somewhere first) to see how they react together.

Otherwise, just say 'screw it, it adds character'.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:33:11 PM EST
Even the wood fillers that state they are "stainable" usually are not.

Buy a new set of grips. They are not pricey and normally available on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:55:18 PM EST
Bob, I still can't get over how fucking nice that AKM is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:39:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 8:41:52 PM EST by Bumblebee_Bob]
Thanks EH.

You know what's sad about it though?

I still haven't shot it in the new configuration yet.

I got it put together the week before elk season, in fact I have only one coat of tung oil on the handguards. So there have been only 4 days in the past two weeks that it hasn't been raining.

I haven't even had a chance to use the Bulgy mag either.

One of these days...one of these days.

Let me resay that. I've shot it a couple of times since I've installed the gas block and slant brake. But forgot to take the bayo with me.

I just haven't shot it with the Ironwood handguards and Romy pistol grip.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:30:14 PM EST
Well I found some elmers wood filler and went at it. It stained well and unless i told you where the filler was it would be hard to pick out. So I think it was worth it. I like looking at that furniture Bob!
Top Top