Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/20/2006 9:25:56 AM EDT
What are the pros and cons between the two?  Anything wrong with the Bi-metal?  I'm looking for some Wolf 7.62x54 and I can only find it in the Bi-metal.  Copper is out of stock everywhere I look.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bi-metal jacket: steel jacket plated with copper

Copper jacket: jacket made entirely of copper

The pure copper jacket is said to cause less wear, but it does not really matter unless you get into really high velocity rounds like the 5.56x45mm. Also, if the bore is crome lined, there is really is no danger either way. The steel jacketed stuff penetrates better than standard copper jacketed stuff.

If you really want a copper jacket, you can get Olympic made ammunition for the 7.62x54.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a case of bimetal a while ago and wanted copper.  I called Wolf and they said all their copper goes out west (I live in PA) because outdoor ranges there banned steel jackets due to fire hazard.   He did let me send him my case and he exchanged it for copper.  I think I'm the only guy on the east coast with copper 7.62.  In retrospect, it was probably a waist of time.  Ak's were disigned to shoot bimetal bullets and steel cases anyway.  I'm sure Al Quada doesn't give a shit what their shooting and they shooting full auto!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Steel jakets do not pose a fire hazzard; those are tracers.

Idiot rangemasters think anything that attracts a magnent is armor piercing. Thus, because they don't want bullets going through their backstop and ruining their target holders, they ban anything that attracts a magnent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Steel jakets do not pose a fire hazzard; those are tracers.

Idiot rangemasters think anything that attracts a magnent is armor piercing. Thus, because they don't want bullets going through their backstop and ruining their target holders, they ban anything that attracts a magnent.

Have you ever shoot bimetal steel jackets at night?  They will throw sparks when they hit certain object including dirt and sand.  I suppose that is how they are a fire hazzard but I shoot them anyway.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot Wolf bi metal at steel, dirt, grass, trees... I did not see any sparks whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've shot Wolf bi metal at steel, dirt, grass, trees... I did not see any sparks whatsoever.

I have done a lot of night shooting and it will throw sparks off of sand dirt and other metal objects.  trust me
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done a lot of night shooting and it will throw sparks off of sand dirt and other metal objects.  trust me

I second the fireworks....lol
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top