Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 4:02:31 PM EDT
I understand the Chinese ban, the Russian deal on non importation etc but why doesn't Bulgaria, Hungary or other former Soviet countries import hi-cap AKM's?  Romania still imports non sporting rifles, why no-one else?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sporting rifles aren't high-cap.

Romy SAR's are imported as hi-cap (not WASR's).  Why do they still get through and not others?  

BTW, Bulgaria imports parts to be installed on new US receivers made in Las Vegas, not whole rifles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The SSR-85C-2 are assembled in Bulgaria from Russian 1.6 mm sheet metal....imported into the US, then refinished at Armory USA in Houston........this rifle has the look and feel of the pre-ban NORINCO (a blend of AK-47 and AKM features).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
SAR's  have not been imported since 2003.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Romy SAR's are imported as hi-cap (not WASR's).  Why do they still get through and not others?  

BTW, Bulgaria imports parts to be installed on new US receivers made in Las Vegas, not whole rifles.{/blue]

My Arsenal SLR-105 is built on a Bulgarian receiver, imported into the US where they add US parts and open up the receiver to high cap.  

Some of the Global Trades/Armory USA rifles are imported from Bulgaria the same way but built in Bulgaria on receivers stamped out with Global Trade receiver dies.  Built in Bulgaria the rifles are imported to the US and made compliant for sale in the US.

SAR rifles as noted are no longer imported and haven't been for a few years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The Romanians had the right gun on sale for the right price at the right time. The Hungarians and the other ex-Soviet block countries did not.

Galland
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
There were the Hungarian AMD-65's and 63's back in 2003.
There are the SA-85 kits now.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Limited number of importers interested (um... Century, Century, and again Century)....

Chicoms got their products banned for selling missile parts to bad people...

Romys got there first...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody imports hi cap rifles.. They are imported as "sporters" and converted in the US;

Romania- imported
Bulgaria- imported
Germany- not in production
Hungary- not in production
Poland- Priced themselves too High
Yugoslavia-   Long arms embargo just ended
Egypt- Already been done, not sure why Century stopped.
Israel- Galil out of production, and milled galil would not be a good candidate.
Finland- Out of production; High Finnish labor costs, a Sako M92 would be $1500-2000K in the US..

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nobody imports hi cap rifles.. They are imported as "sporters" and converted in the US;

Romania- imported
Bulgaria- imported
Germany- not in production
Hungary- not in production
Poland- Priced themselves too High
Yugoslavia-   Long arms embargo just ended
Egypt- Already been done, not sure why Century stopped.
Israel- Galil out of production, and milled galil would not be a good candidate.
Finland- Out of production; High Finnish labor costs, a Sako M92 would be $1500-2000K in the US..

Why can't the recievers be stamped/milled for hi-cap and just include low-cap mags with them. It's not like there aren't 5 round AK mags...

Also, is the ending of the Yugoslavian arms embargo the reason why we're seeing so many parts kits on the market now?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#11]
the answer is 922

im sure the egyptians, etc could be imported just as the romys are. but im betting they dont want to deal with all the red tape to import them or to ship them in as single stacks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
wishful thinking. im sure that import permit would be approved

Quoted:
Why can't the recievers be stamped/milled for hi-cap and just include low-cap mags with them. It's not like there aren't 5 round AK mags...

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Cause the gun is capable of accepting a hi-cap mag.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
wishful thinking. im sure that import permit would be approved

Quoted:

Yes, rule is that the rifle cannot accept a high capacity military magazine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yugoslavia-   Long arms embargo just ended.

Which means......
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yugoslavia-   Long arms embargo just ended.

Which means......

Nothing right now... Yugo AKs are pretty high in price anyway. Only reason the kits are so cheap is that they are used POSs..

During the thumbhole sporter days, Yugos were selling in the pages of the Shotgunnews for $500+ (more for RPKs)... At the same time, Romanians and Bulgarians were selling at gunshows (not in Shotgunnews) for $200, and Hungarians $300......

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was under the impression they were still imported because of a new influx of Sar 2's and 3's from Aim and the like.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression they were still imported because of a new influx of Sar 2's and 3's from Aim and the like.

you mean WASR?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are mistaken.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are mistaken.

MAK, I stand corrected  My question has been answered and thanks to everyone.  I didn't pay attention to the whens and whys of Romy shipments because I turned to building AMD's, M70's and now the SA-85 because I didn't like the fit and finish of the complete rifles being imported.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top