Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2010 2:38:04 PM EDT
Why doesnt someone like Arsenal mass produce SBR ak 47's?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:43:35 PM EDT
Is there that big of a market for SBR'd AKs?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:25:18 PM EDT
Because then they wouldn't be able to charge as much for them as they do when they have their "limited edition" sales every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:39:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FredMan:

If I could buy a Krink for less than $1000, I'd be in...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:50:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mustangduckk:

There was a time when that was easily doable.. yet still only a very small part of the AK market actually did it.

Now that the parts prices are sky high... I wouldn't hold your breath
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:02:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By alfred10:

Simply because it's just not marketable to make so many for such a limited market.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:22:15 PM EDT

No, or someone would fill the void if it could be done without it being prohibitively expensive.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:43:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dskeet:

There was a time when that was easily doable.. yet still only a very small part of the AK market actually did it.

Now that the parts prices are sky high... I wouldn't hold your breath

When that was "easily doable", I was under age lol. I discovered how much fun AK's were at the absolute peak of their price. I'm 23 now, and when I finish school (next year with any luck), I plan on picking up a Krink in spite of their high cost.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 5:04:49 PM EDT by Miami_JBT]

Because firearm manufacturers (both domestic and foreign) don't want to deal with such a limited market.

AR-15s are easy to SBR because of the design and the market.

You can purchase a standard AR-15 and make it a SBR by simply paying $200 to BATFE and changing your upper. With an AK series rifle and pretty much ever thing else it has to be built from the ground up as a SBR. Which means that it has to be sold to a Class III dealer. With a SBR AR-15 it's a little different.... I can build the same SBR AR-15 as a pistol and I don't have to do nothing.... no special tax, nothing. So if I was a manufacturer I wouldn't have to worry about my product not selling.

What's the difference between a legal SBR AR-15 and a legal AR-15 pistol? The buffer tube; nothing else. So I can sell them to a states that don't allow SBRs. Also many local cities don't allow SBRs.

It's much easier to make a SBR AR-15 then pretty much anything else except a SBS Remington 870 Shotgun.

SBR AKs just are a pain.... no simple conversion like a easy to change upper or barrel. That hurts it.

ETA: Building a AK series rifle isn't easy.... you need a hydraulic press, rivets or tap kit, etc.... building a AR-15 is easy. You need a $25-$40 armorer's wrench and regular tools. I know this because I built a Yugo M90 5.56 Underfolder from a kit. PAIN IN THE ASS.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:41:40 PM EDT
we need to stop relying on foreign parts for AK's
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:46:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wesmerc:

Prices will go up dramatically if they were all made with US parts. Making them from foreign parts is much more profitable for the US manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:56:44 PM EDT
US manufacturers need to stop making awful parts for AK's if they want to sell US made AK's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:50:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

Because firearm manufacturers (both domestic and foreign) don't want to deal with such a limited market.

You can purchase a standard AR-15 and make it a SBR by simply paying $200 to BATFE and changing your upper. With an AK series rifle and pretty much ever thing else it has to be built from the ground up as a SBR. Which means that it has to be sold to a Class III dealer. With a SBR AR-15 it's a little different.... I can build the same SBR AR-15 as a pistol and I don't have to do nothing.... no special tax, nothing. So if I was a manufacturer I wouldn't have to worry about my product not selling.

What's the difference between a legal SBR AR-15 and a legal AR-15 pistol? The buffer tube; nothing else. So I can sell them to a states that don't allow SBRs. Also many local cities don't allow SBRs.

It's much easier to make a SBR AR-15 then pretty much anything else except a SBS Remington 870 Shotgun.

SBR AKs just are a pain.... no simple conversion like a easy to change upper or barrel. That hurts it.

ETA: Building a AK series rifle isn't easy.... you need a hydraulic press, rivets or tap kit, etc.... building a AR-15 is easy. You need a $25-$40 armorer's wrench and regular tools. I know this because I built a Yugo M90 5.56 Underfolder from a kit. PAIN IN THE ASS.

Someone already makes the draco so why not sell it with a stock. We even have the AMD, sell it SBR and let it have a removable break.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:53:33 AM EDT
Hopefully no one takes this personally but to be blunt IMO it's because the AK guys don't really spend the money to do things right and are super cheap.
There wouldn't be any profit in moving too far of the beaten path for any of this companies who provide AK's.

Just look at the aftermarket for the AK, it's all a bunch of cheap crap and it directly reflects the true buyers out their in the AK market.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:59:52 AM EDT
Hopefully no one takes this personally but to be blunt IMO it's because the AK guys don't really spend the money to do things right and are super cheap.
There wouldn't be any profit in moving too far of the beaten path for any of this companies who provide AK's.

Just look at the aftermarket for the AK, it's all a bunch of cheap crap and it directly reflects the true buyers out their in the AK market.

That's a pretty broad statement and not true. Many AK guys spend big piles of cash on custom builds and arsenal "limited edition" rifles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:07:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

I see your point, but like someone else said, with the Draco you have pretty much the same cost effective SBR waiting to happen. Buy the pistol for less than an AR pistol and then purchase the Ace folder or even the Ace folder adapter for the AR stocks and you got an SBR for a good price. Seems kinda the same idea as going from an AR pistol to SBR.

Check this one: Draco SBR
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:58:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By grimhollow:
Because then they wouldn't be able to charge as much for them as they do when they have their "limited edition" sales every now and then.

I think this is the real reason too. Obivously they know the slr107ur and slr106ur were good sellers, but if they mass produced them then they can't charge 1200-1500 per rifle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:35:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dskeet:
Originally Posted By wesmerc:

Prices will go up dramatically if they were all made with US parts. Making them from foreign parts is much more profitable for the US manufacturers.

for now
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:28:04 PM EDT
Being directly involved in the manufacturing business i can say the big factor is cost vs. demand, many firearms owners have no idea how incredibly expensive even a small or limited production item can be.

The cost to tool up and structure a production line even on a small scale not to mention paying competent, skilled labor and on top of the regular heavy tax burden n.f.a. manufacturers are hit with additional taxes like 11% excise tax s.o.t. tax and varying extra state tax burden. The reason why so many "manufacturer's" actually just assemble with someone else's receiver and imported parts are to avoid the taxes and avoid spending hundreds of thousands$$ in cnc machining equipment!

The manufacturer may have to sell several hundred units just to break even!
Everyone wants the super bargain deal but to do that you must have large volume or good help that will work for half of what they are worth and the latter doesn't happen too often!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:08:55 PM EDT

draco and sbr it. ace has a stock option for them.
Top Top