Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 11:43:27 AM EDT
Years ago, I sold my AR's and everything AR related and went 100% AK.  Not that I hated the AR,  I love the AR platform.  In fact, many of the tweaks I do to my AK's are done to bring the functionality and ergonomics of the AK to AR-type standards.  No, the reason I sold everything AR related was because I got sick and tired of the "AR-snobs".

Go to the AR-15 forum and you'll find them everywhere.  No matter what the subject is, there will always be people to hijack the thread talking about how (whatever it is you're talking about) isn't tier 1 and as such is crap.  Damn it, if I ask a question, just give me an answer.  If you have negative opinions about something, explain why.  Don't just say "That piece of S#!t is no good.  Buy the latest and greatest".  I like KISS rifles and had an A2 build.  Nothing fancy but functional.  Any question I asked was met with criticism about something I was looking at, how my franken-AR wasn't Tier 1 and as such crap, or other BS.  Bear in mind that I couldn't care less what others think but I cannot stand that "Holier than though" attitude.

Now, we have our differences on this forum but there isn't much of that snobbery here.  There's good information, civil discussions and there isn't very much putting people down over stupid s#!t.  That's what makes me love the AK even more.  Its dead nuts reliable, reasonably accurate and every AK owner I've met always has something positive to say about each others rifle.  Which leads me to my recent internal debate...

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a stripped lower for a good deal with plans on doing another AR build.  After looking around online for ideas on which direction to go with it (classic A1, 14.5" middy or 5.45), all those negative feelings began to return.  I went to the fun store today and overheard a few people talking about how much better "their" AR was compared to "that guy" for one reason or another and I actually started getting pissed off.  So much so, in fact, that I walked out of the store without buying a LPK and instead bought a rifle dynamics adapter for my AK.  Not that I need it but I actually feel better about spending money on my AK that I do an AR.  I even went so far as to consider selling the lower and picking up more 5.45 ammo.

Yes, I know, CSB, TL/DR, low scores for a rant.  I love the AR and everything that it does and/or can do but I can't get away from my AK.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Great point. I own both platforms still and honestly don't see much of a difference between my normal AR's in reliability, function, and accuracy between my high priced and basic rifles.

I do have a Bulgarian AK that out shoots my Polish Kalishnikov but paid the same $$$ for both.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
MY AK IS BETTER THAN YOUR AK!!!! SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE MAKING IT MORE LIKE AN AR? MINE IS STOCK WITH WOOD STOCKS TO HAVE THAT PERFECT REAL AK LOOK! I BET YOU PUT PLASTIC ON YOURS TOO. RED DOT? YEA, OMG, TTYL, TEOTWAWKI, LOL.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Just admit it: you like AK's cause they're evil

I would take a low grade AK any day over a low tier AR. Actually I have one, a WASR and it runs with the best of them. I prefer it to my 6920. I actually think there isn't as much variance tier to tier than with AR's.

I agree not as much snobbery with AK's.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You care too much for what others think. Knock it off already.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would take a low grade AK any day over a low tier AR. Actually I have one, a WASR and it runs with the best of them. I prefer it to my 6920. I actually think there isn't as much variance tier to tier than with AR's.

View Quote

I've seen people suggest the WASR be avoided, but I agree with you not much snobbery. It is more of a heads up than anything.

I bought a WASR a couple weeks ago and am pretty pleased with it. I'm just mad at myself for not buying it 5 years ago for half of what I just paid.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree. A lot of AR related discussions give me heartburn and an inferiority complex.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You care too much for what others think. Knock it off already.
View Quote

agreed. i don't care enough about what someone else thinks about my weapon to make me completely shy away from a platform altogether.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I went over there when I got my stripped lower. They seem to prefer arguing over what is more operator cool than answering questions. Dont go anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]

That AK is pathetic. This is was a real AK looks like
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
everybodies a fucking tactical ninja. i know it gets old
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
That does look like a mean machine...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Ak's are just bad ass.

Haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to go all AK, and ended up building 2 new AR's.

One is a lightweight carbine which is my favorite build to date (out of 6) and one is another lighweight A1 Middy.

I consider this one to be the "AK fan's" AR15.

Fixed stock, fixed sights, and reliable as hell with the rifle buffer / mid length gas combo.

DSC_1355 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

Now the moral of all this, is that I've added to the AK stable at the same time.

Each platform has strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other, but at the end of the day both are accurate and reliable for their designed purpose. GET BOTH.

When people poopoo on one or the other, it usually comes from a lack of knowledge or use with the platform or an emotional buying connection.

At the TN HTF shoot, several folks got to shoot the SAR-1 I took, it was their first time to shoot an AK, these are people with some very high end gear and time behind the trigger. I was amazed, it was almost taboo, not many had shot an AK (lots had though). But several magazines later, they were hitting steel poppers from 100-200 yards and were "Oh I didn't know these could do that" with a big . I hope I made some converts.

In regards to the snobbery of the AR side, its just as strong on the AK side. However; there is a different approach to it. Its not a who's got the nicest car / wife contest, but who has the most accurate build. So its not really degrading, but inspirational. Its awesome the extent some people go through to acquire parts to build a correct (as can be) Type II or III clone, or that rare East German variant, etc... If someone posts a picture of their new WASR and is proud of it, we all congratulate them and tell them to enjoy the rifle. Its about being part of a community that likes to share information and discussion on a rifle, from a WASR to a Turbo re-weld, it doesn't matter.

I will say that if you want to see the attention to detail and endless quest for rare parts / builds on the AR side, venture into the Retro sub forum, they may have us beat in terms of obsessing over detail.  

ETA: Need to post an AK pic to be fair:

DSC_1970 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you mean my AK pistol is just a range toy!!!!

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've seen people suggest the WASR be avoided, but I agree with you not much snobbery. It is more of a heads up than anything.

I bought a WASR a couple weeks ago and am pretty pleased with it. I'm just mad at myself for not buying it 5 years ago for half of what I just paid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every so often I think about the thousands and thousands of dollars a spent on paintball between 2002 and 2008 when I could've spent that cash on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I somewhat agree with you on the AR-15 forum attitude. There are some that act as if anything less than a Seal Team 6 set up is crap. I remember posting a few questions over the years and being disgusted at some of the thread responses. But I just brushed them off, as there was always at least 1 or 2 people that gave me a descent response.

I do have a couple AR's, but have long been way more drawn to Kalashnikovs. I appreciate their ruggedness, their reliability, their practicality, their simplicity, their effectiveness, their history, and their many flavors. If I were a rich bastard, I would probably own variants from every country. When it comes to AR's, I can't really see myself owning more than(2) AR-15's and (2) AR-10's. But when it comes to Kalashnikovs, I would love to own way more than two.

If you're lost much of your love for AR's, then I say just get one AR-15 and one AR-10 and be done with it...!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I like AR's, a lot less than AK's simply because the AK's are more interesting to me. But I keep an AR for myself, and one for the wife, she likes her black rifles probably better than I like them. I'm like Finny in that I like it simple, fixed stock, none of that quadrail shit or a gazillion accessories hanging off of it, just a few little comforts.

At the risk of attracting the slavering troll horde of Predatards attention, I will also agree that much of the AR side is annoying, and in truth, 800-900 builds pretty much shoot every bit as well as the high-dollar boondoggles...this is what aggravates me so much when I see the latest "game-changer" or some AK with some bolt-on crap that somebody is trying to get 2500 bucks for, have already had to put up with that bullshit on the AR side and don't really want my beloved AK's infected with that kind of stupid.

Have had excellent luck using Spike's lowers and PSA uppers, they are in-spec, shoot well, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Just finished putting together a new one for the Mrs., Calico Jack lower, PSA dissy upper, sweet rifle.

Here's mine, and I actually really dig this rifle, but you'll note <can't post that in a thread> dryflash3

ETA: Also +1 to what Finny said about midlength gas system/rifle buffer, it is tha shiznit.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://oi42.tinypic.com/dnbsj8.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both of your AKs are inferior! Everyone knows a mans AK...
" />

...is in 308
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/Mobile%20Uploads/b8254918-f299-40a8-80f6-5c63eeb8023a.jpg</a>" />

...is in 308
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/Mobile%20Uploads/b8254918-f299-40a8-80f6-5c63eeb8023a.jpg</a>" />

...is in 308

.311>.308
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
There's elitism in AK's too. Custom vs. Arsenal vs. Other. Arsenal/FIME is to the AK world as Colt is to the AR world. I agree that AK's tend to draw a different crowd, but recently the high(er) price of admission keeps the pool lower than it used to be.

I was wanting to get another AK, but it's getting harder and harder to justify AK purchases over $1000. I think that's my limit, unless I'm building an accurate clone. I've also realized that it's an outdated platform, that even Russia and Poland are working to get away from.

Recently, I kind of became bored of AK's and their high prices (for nice rifles), so I built an M16A4 clone. It's nice to see how many accessories there are for the AR, and how easily obtainable they are. I've always liked to tinker with my rifles, and it's almost never-ending. The M16 family is much more modular and it really is like adult legos.

Anyway, I have AK's, and now I have an AR. I like both types of firearms, and they each have their merits. There's nothing wrong with having your thumbs in different pies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

.311>.308
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...is in 308

.311>.308

...well played sir, well played.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...is in 308
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...is in 308

When you're right, you're right!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]
most of the AK's I've seen in this thread are Tier 2, with one Tier 3 being that wood one

I own a Tier 1 SAM7SF, so you guys really need to spend more money to be half the operator I already am

But really, I own one AR-15, an Armalite mid-length heavy barrel with a scope for hunting, its fucking accurate, however I have 12 AK's and the 13th on the way

I feel the variety of AK's come with more history due to all the different countries that make them, AR's are sooo one dimensional

AK's also come in 12 guage, suck it AR's

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Who cares what other people say? There are (and I hate using this term) "haters" everywhere..from cars to clothes and yes even your evil black rifles..I would not have anything if I cared about what everybody else thought about my purchases...do what makes you happy and in true Arfcom fashion...get both!

Thank you  for your service.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Arfcom made me spend more money on my AR than my AK.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bottom rung

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

but you always grab the bottom rung first
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Belongs in the trash can!

I never understood that mentality among the AR folks. Looks good!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]

I love both. They both have there good points and bad. Don't worry about others think if its negative. Lets all get along!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Clearly terrible. Where am I supposed to mount my IR laser on that?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
My turn!

Just finished a Polish parts kit on an 80% receiver.  My second AK build so far. Way more fun (and manly) to build than a boring old AR...  

ETA: here's my first.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
MY AK IS BETTER THAN YOUR AK!!!! SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE MAKING IT MORE LIKE AN AR? MINE IS STOCK WITH WOOD STOCKS TO HAVE THAT PERFECT REAL AK LOOK! I BET YOU PUT PLASTIC ON YOURS TOO. RED DOT? YEA, OMG, TTYL, TEOTWAWKI, LOL.

View Quote

Dude, do you even dimple?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#34]
The replies to this thread made me laugh...and proved my point.

The pics posted were of traditional, tactical and retro AK's and no one pointed out the "flaws" in any of them.  The tongue in cheek comments were also lighthearted.

To those that had serious comments about not caring what others think or say, I wholeheartedly agree.  What always did (and still does) piss me off is a FUDD or tactical-ninja walking up and pointing out the flaws in your weapon or how "X" is better than what you have installed.  If anything, I enjoy the lack of comments when I put my AK on the firing line.  I enjoy answering questions asked by those who want to learn more about the AK platform.  If I do get the occasional "mine is better than yours/belongs in the trashcan" comment, I just tell them my AK isn't meant to be a sub-MOA and I don't care.  That usually shuts them up.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical at my age (be right back, damn kids are on my lawn again) but I am just tired of the "keeping up with the Jone's", "Did you get the latest and greatest" crowd and how they feel the need to inject their option every chance they get.

Get whats makes you happy, customize as you see fit and mind your own damn business.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
dimples are a must.

even with the older non-dimpled Krebs rifles, I wouldn't go there.

call me crazy.

If a WASR had dimples, I'd of bought a crate of them when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The replies to this thread made me laugh...and proved my point.

The pics posted were of traditional, tactical and retro AK's and no one pointed out the "flaws" in any of them.  The tongue in cheek comments were also lighthearted.

To those that had serious comments about not caring what others think or say, I wholeheartedly agree.  What always did (and still does) piss me off is a FUDD or tactical-ninja walking up and pointing out the flaws in your weapon or how "X" is better than what you have installed.  If anything, I enjoy the lack of comments when I put my AK on the firing line.  I enjoy answering questions asked by those who want to learn more about the AK platform.  If I do get the occasional "mine is better than yours/belongs in the trashcan" comment, I just tell them my AK isn't meant to be a sub-MOA and I don't care.  That usually shuts them up.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical at my age (be right back, damn kids are on my lawn again) but I am just tired of the "keeping up with the Jone's", "Did you get the latest and greatest" crowd and how they feel the need to inject their option every chance they get.

Get whats makes you happy, customize as you see fit and mind your own damn business.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I chose the AK platform because I despise DI. The concept of "reliability" depending on it being well maintained, clean, and heavily lubricated is absurdity at max level. Heck, by that definition... a '70 Fiat is a damn reliable car too!
At any rate... I do love the AR platform for it's ergonomics, adaptability, and modularity. I got the itch to build one. So I appeased my "NO DI" self by using an Adams Arms piston system upper. I "built" (this is what AR guys call it. AK guys would call that "assembling", as their is no gunsmithing involved. A monkey could drop the parts in) my entire lower so I could have exactly as I wanted and learn the workings of it at the same time.
Well it runs great! It took a good 300 or so rounds to "break it in", but none the less... she's there now. I LOVE it!
However... assembling that rifle taught me how complex these are compared to an AK. Springs and detents everywhere (which could all break on you). Sorry, but there's just too much going on in an AR for me to fully trust it with my life. The AK is simpler and stouter, and that is all that matters to me.

So , now I look at it this way:
AR- toy, AK - tool. I love them both, but this picture tells which one is my "top" pick for defense:

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#38]
My gun is better than either! It's a VZ58 so it has a BHO, is short stroke piston operated for lighter recoil, is more accurate than an AK, and is a pound lighter despite its milled receiver.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My gun is better than either! It's a VZ58 so it has a BHO, is short stroke piston operated for lighter recoil, is more accurate than an AK, and is a pound lighter despite its milled receiver.
View Quote

Except that a VZ58 uses proprietary mags, extra parts for bho, extra parts for a short stroke piston, and about the same weight as the standard AKM (stamped)
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
It still does what it was designed to do.  Over and over.

Reliably.

And it's simple.

And ammo is generally cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Comrade all AK47 rifles do what they are designed to do. So why have a pissing contest?
However, I am tempted to sell all my AR15 rifles in the next panic since I have 3 of them in the safe.
So I have 3 AK rifles and 4 more in parts kits.

I need to find some friends to have a build party this winter break or summer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Except that a VZ58 uses proprietary mags, extra parts for bho, extra parts for a short stroke piston, and about the same weight as the standard AKM (stamped)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot "looks fugly".
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm only interested in hanging on to my AKs. I realize that this is only the ak section on the AR forum but it can be really disappointing that there is no where that people can espouse their admiration for their Kalashnikov without twenty people feeling the need to chime in about how they like their AK but.......

Not that this thread has been bad so far but since the subject has been brought up, for crying out loud cant there be talk about why some people love AKs and why some people (I know blasphemy of all blasphemies)  feel that they are superior without the need for the AR fans?

There used to be threads where people who shared the love of the AK could point out the reasons why without a gang piling on. These seem to be non-existent now.

I guess there are a number of factors not the least of which is the fact that the price or ARs has gotten to the point that everybody can afford one. It is the most popular rifle in America and I'm glad to see it. I remember when I was working to oust the anti's from power twenty years ago and couldn't get support from other gun owners because they didn't own black rifles like mine so they didn't care what got banned.

After three recent conflicts there are a lot of veterans (Thank You and God Bless You) who served with and depended on the AR and like, love or at least respect it.

There are also may posters from the video game generation that dream of pop,pop,pop,pop no recoil magical death ray dump the mag speed change joe cool machined aluminum, bolt together erector set, batteries definitely required, electronic gizmo, laser light dot, infrared make believe Super Secret Special Tactical Jr. Tactical dude warfare 300m running headshot fully accessorized rule the wasteland picking up AR parts and ammo off the body piles running through the woods carrying 12,000 rounds super commando death killers.

I guess everybody has their reasons for having a particular opinion as to which platform might suit their needs best and I think that's great. Some people like numerous systems and calibers to cover all theoretical circumstances. Some people may like to shoot, collect or just study multiple kinds. All of that is wonderful.

I really don't care how much trash someone might want to talk about my AK on an AR forum that's what the heck it is for. If I was visiting that forum for information about one of my ARs I wouldn't feel the need to jump in there and tell them "how I own both but,,,," and there sure as hell wouldn't be a line of AK owners behind me waiting to pile on.

Will there ever be a time again when AK people can share their mutual interests without the "professionals" reminding us that the 100 million AKs out there are just for looking at and not suitable for serious use.

I must be the only one.

Sorry,

Rant off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Well a lot of that is just the internet being the internet.

I’m a fan of both platforms and have cheap and high-end examples of both.  

I will say you get more for your money on the AK.  Both in terms of the rifle and the ammo.
Using cheap ammo on ARs can lead to problems and malfunctions; no problems at all on the AK.

The AR is FAR more accurate.  
I’m lucky to get minute-of-pumpkin on my AK.  

With AK prices climbing though; the low end AKs may be a tougher sell in the future.  

Here's a pic of my latest AK just for fun:
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah I know how things can be but I've had that building for a while.

On a more positive note, I like the base/ring mounting height of that scope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Simple: AR's have no soul. ;)

AK's are the girl next door: Perform the same year after year, get better looking as they age, low maintenance, and never let you down.

AR's are a trophy wife's: high maintenance, have to have the latest accessories, demand cosmetic enhancements as they age, always demand more, and break down if you demand too much in return.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Simple: AR's have no soul. ;)

AK's are the girl next door: Perform the same year after year, get better looking as they age, low maintenance, and never let you down.

AR's are a trophy wife's: high maintenance, have to have the latest accessories, demand cosmetic enhancements as they age, always demand more, and break down if you demand too much in return.
View Quote

That is funny!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I've always wanted to play with the bastard child of both.

Sig 556
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#49]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103646154/KrebsCustom.JPG

I didn't read all the post in this thread....but this guy just won!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've always wanted to play with the bastard child of both.

Sig 556
View Quote
551 FTW

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top