Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 10:38:18 AM EDT
Found this pic and it shows a prototype AK drum that looks like it sits the rounds down flat.  It would interfere with the handguard but it would be much more useful for prone shooting.  I guess it would also put more weight on the front of the gun and mess the up balance.  Does anyone know any more about these flat drums?  I think it would be a great collectors item if there are any out there.  What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Im pretty sure thats a 5.45 Drum...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Not for AK, but for other Soviet MGs
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Flat lying drum.   Hmmm.  How would that work?   If the rounds were loaded like a standard drum they have to make a 90 degree rotation upon feeding (not easy).  Or else the rounds would have to load with tips pointing towards the center of the drum, which would mean the spring would have to work in some weird way.  Anybody know how a Lewis Gun drum thing works?

You can't just turn a drum mag 90 degrees and expect it to work without paying some kind of design or reliablity consequence.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Flat lying drum.   Hmmm.  How would that work?   If the rounds were loaded like a standard drum they have to make a 90 degree rotation upon feeding (not easy).  Or else the rounds would have to load with tips pointing towards the center of the drum, which would mean the spring would have to work in some weird way.  Anybody know how a Lewis Gun drum thing works?

You can't just turn a drum mag 90 degrees and expect it to work without paying some kind of design or reliablity consequence.  

I was thinking the same thing. I dont think bullets would like 90 degree angles
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

there are other MGs that use pan mags... a friend has one in 7.62x54R  I want to say DP28 but I may be mistaken....

definately soemthign that could be done, not sure if there is much advantage other than being able to lay prone (or more prone)
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen pics before of that goofy 100 round 180-degree U-mag.

How on earth do you get that thing in the gun? I could see in working if you pushed the mag into the rifle like an AR, but with the rock-in clip, I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I want the one in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I want the one in the middle.

Looks like a quad stack mag.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I beleive the metal flat drum above was experimental 7.62 mag, but don't quote me...
I also have pics of plum plastic experimental 5.45 flat drums too...they do exist.
Quad stack mags have been experimented with in 7.62 (pictured above) and also in black plastic in the 5.45 caliber. I have shot all 60 rounds out of one of these quad stack 5.45 mags, and they work great, even if they nearly double the weight of an AKSU!

-C
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure how that would work because AK mags have to rock forward to be inserted, and if there is a flat lying drum in the way that would prevent you from being able to rock the magazine so it latches into place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, one guy on Gunsnet was hinting that he had some in 5.45 to sell.. But he wanted like $3500...

He was the same guy that went to jail for selling MGs to a ATF agent...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top