Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/3/2003 3:09:53 PM EDT
Hello, everyone.  I guess my polytech 7.62 is no longer enough to satisfy me, although I love it and would not part with it for the world, and am starting to consider having Inrange build me a 74, since Troy and Inrange have such a good rep around here.  I plan on using a bulgarian ak 74 parts set, whenever they become available again at KVAR.  I was hoping some of the more knowledgable than me could answer a couple of questions.

1.  Who makes a good US made receiver and what do they tend to cost?  Are there any web sites?
2.  I wish I had the tools, press, etc to fit the trunnion, barrel, etc so I could do the entire build myself, but oh well.  What does a build from Inrange tend to cost?

Thanks for replies and advice everyone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Use an OOW Receiver from Ohio Ordnance.

InRange normally charges $225 labor to assemble a long rifle.  Don't forget the US Parts to make it acceptable under 922r.

KF
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
However, you may just want to consider the AR15.COM Special Edition AK74 Purchase.

KF
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohio Ordnance works receiver or you could try a milled on from The Firing Line.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/index.html

www.ohioordnanceworks.com/

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link to FAC's parts kits.  www.gunsnstuff.net/p/033f.html.

They are as new.  I have one and Im planning to have Troy build it using a OOW 74 receiver. You can get a receiver at the following (you may have to call since I dont see it on their site):

www.ohiorapidfire.com/

US parts kit - either use Ken at redstar arms for you gas piston and fire control

www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

OR

Tapco sells a complete kit with fire control, piston and pistol grip for about $50-60.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The OOW Receiver will work fine. They are heat treated and everything.  You will love the gun, no matter who builds it. It has quickly become my favorite gun to shoot. Cheap mags, Cheap ammo, No kick, and super accuracy.

What more can you ask of a commie gun??

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Ohio Ordnance Works receivers aren't heat treated, but they will work just fine as you said. AK USA will heat treat them for $35 if you want.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have never heard of a single problem with Firingline receivers. They are truly topnotch people to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Do you think I would be better off going with the stamped OOW receiver and having it heat treated, or going with the firingline milled receiver?  Is either any better quality?  Also, I only see what OOW calls a "7.62" receiver on their site.  Does that receiver also work for a 5.45 Ak 74 build?  Also, are the bulgarian 74 kits from FAC and K-VAR in new, unfired condition?  Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, its a big help.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top