Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:56:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 4:04:59 AM EDT by BB]
Guys, I have a couple nice kits I need built up. Who can I get to build my AKs that will do a good job but not charge a mint? Seems like $350 to build an AK is kinda high; is that just me?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:11:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:17 AM EDT
Thanks Krinkfreak, I sent a couple emails out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:01:24 AM EDT
If time isn't a factor, contact jnewt. His calendar is already scheduled into 2006, but his price is right and the work is top notch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:58:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:54:45 AM EDT
buy some tooling, do it yourself at 'home and in your spare time'.
Saves in the 5 + builds, well really it's just plain fun and an enjoyable hobby
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:57:56 AM EDT
Once they build the kit, it has to be sent back via FFL right??
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:59:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JaketheSnake:

No, it's your rifle, they mail it back to you. If you have supplied the receiver, that is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:12:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Thekatar:

No, it's your rifle, they mail it back to you. If you have supplied the receiver, that is.

Whoa, I never knew that. SWEET!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:37:52 PM EDT

this is..only if the builder is in your same state, if they are outside it will have to go through your FFL
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:49:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Gunner:

this is..only if the builder is in your same state, if they are outside it will have to go through your FFL

If you bought the receiver, had it transfered to you, then you can send it to whoever you like and they can send it back to you. There is no Federal requirement to go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:22:55 PM EDT
+ 1 to that.

If you already bought the receiver and picked it up at your FFL then it is already registered.

When you send your kit and receiver (already registered) to a builder he will build the gun and send it to your doorstep.

Think about it.... have you ever sent an "under warranty" gun in for repair and had to pick it up from your FFL again ?

No, so it applies here as well. It only has to be registered once. State lines are also not a factor.

Hassle free kit builds
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:30:29 PM EDT
I suggest Chris Butler at AK-USA... He's my go to builder!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:49:57 PM EDT
I had one done by Mark Tucker at Coyote Gulch Armory. He did a very nice job on my Polish underfolder for nowhere near $350. The basic build is $125+shipping (more for folders), and another $75 if you want it parkerized.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:02:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnTheTexican:
I had one done by Mark Tucker at Coyote Gulch Armory. He did a very nice job on my Polish underfolder for nowhere near $350. The basic build is $125+shipping (more for folders), and another $75 if you want it parkerized.

I’ve heard of Mark before and have been curious about his work, only heard good things about him.

If I ever get around to having something built I’ve really had a hankerin to take a drive up to his place, meet him and check things out. He’s a few hours away, and I’d love to send a fellow PNW guy the work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:03:11 PM EDT

Wow, the price certainly is reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:01:18 PM EDT
I talked to Chris at AK-USA about doing a build for me. His work looks really good, but if you thing that $350 is high for an AK build then you are in for some serious sticker shock. He told me it would be about $800 to build and refinish a rifle (including adding in the requisite US made parts).
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:10:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I talked to Chris at AK-USA about doing a build for me. His work looks really good, but if you thing that $350 is high for an AK build then you are in for some serious sticker shock. He told me it would be about $800 to build and refinish a rifle (including adding in the requisite US made parts).

I have learned that good work is worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:16:33 PM EDT
Nobody but Chris at AK-USA builds mine! None better IMHO.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT by BB]

I have (had) an AK-103K he built. I'm going to pass on Chris and AK-USA, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:36:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:
I have (had) an AK-103K he built. I'm going to pass on Chris and AK-USA, thanks.

Any dislikes other than the price?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:18:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

I am interested as well since I believe this is the first time I have ever read anything other than a ringing endorsement for Chris. Do tell.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:24:55 PM EDT

IIRC, Jnewt Charges 300$ for total build which is very reasonable.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 7:54:29 PM EDT by tapeo1]

Originally Posted By BB:

I am interested as well since I believe this is the first time I have ever read anything other than a ringing endorsement for Chris. Do tell.

Chris does excellent work, no doubt about it. The one negative is that he is very very expensive. Personally, I don't think it's worth it unless you want a lot of custom work done to it. This is just my $.02 though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:10:19 AM EDT
Investment Grade Firearms also does good work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:02:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 6:02:59 AM EDT by neverenuf]

Mark built my PMKMS folder last year just after the AWB expired. No worries, his work is top notch, I'd put him up there with any of the other top quality builders here on this board.

Also a great guy to do bussines with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:33:31 AM EDT
Hi,

Another vote here for Mark @ http://coyotegulcharmory.com/

He put together a FN-Fal Para model for me and was a real nice guy to do buisness with. I also had the chance to meet him at a local gun show and see a table full of his work.. VERY NICE!! His price was great and work was real quality..

Regards
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:58:14 AM EDT
Interesting, I just looked at the AK USA website www.ak-103.com and it quotes $250 for kit assembly and another $100 for refinishing. What's the deal?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:20:43 AM EDT

Wow, this guy is about 45 minutes away from me and I've never heard of him.

One of his AK builds is in my future.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:34:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Illinigunner21:
Interesting, I just looked at the AK USA website www.ak-103.com and it quotes $250 for kit assembly and another $100 for refinishing. What's the deal?

He has been too busy to update the site.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:37:12 PM EDT
Any of those guys quoted would do a good job..........I am gonna send my SAR-3 to InRange and have it turned into an Ak-102 clone, and I hear his work is top notch!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:39:34 PM EDT
Troy Sellers does excellent work..................and he's great Guy to do business with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:55:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Illinigunner21:

Those prices are really out of date.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:12:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

I'd like to hear what was wrong as well...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:16:08 AM EDT
Nothing I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:42:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 4:06:08 AM EDT by BB]
I didn't like the finish; it was uneven, it was not as durable as I would have hoped, and burned during extended shooting. The muzzle brake timing was also slightly off. I didn't like that the cleaning rod was basically just for looks and not functional. Mostly subjective I'm sure, the rest of the rifle, rivet work, trigger, etc. was top notch. Overall IMO the rifle was just not worth the cost. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:27:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:
I didn't like the finish; it was uneven, it was not as durable as I would have hoped, and burned during extended shooting. The muzzle brake timing was also slightly off. I didn't like that the cleaning rod was basically just for looks and not functional. Mostly subjective I'm sure, the rest of the rifle, rivet work, trigger, etc. was top notch. Overall IMO the rifle was just not worth the cost. YMMV.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:55:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

When did he build this for you? I've always thought Chris was sort of known for his high quality finishes. The finish burned? That must have been some extended shooting - are we talking torture test as fast as we can fire hundreds/thousands of rounds? What was the deal with the cleaning rod? How was it not functional? Did he modify it so it would fit and then never come back out again?

I'm not trying to start anything, but Chris has built me two really nice rifles with great finishes and superb triggers - but he is human and mistakes can be very easily made... If it is an earlier gun, I can completely understand...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:01:51 PM EDT
What city is the AK builder from WA in? If he is close then I will send all mine to him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:34:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ___JT___:
What city is the AK builder from WA in? If he is close then I will send all mine to him.

Sunnyside, Washington
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:12:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spooky130:

Originally Posted By BB:

When did he build this for you? I've always thought Chris was sort of known for his high quality finishes. The finish burned? That must have been some extended shooting - are we talking torture test as fast as we can fire hundreds/thousands of rounds? What was the deal with the cleaning rod? How was it not functional? Did he modify it so it would fit and then never come back out again?

I'm not trying to start anything, but Chris has built me two really nice rifles with great finishes and superb triggers - but he is human and mistakes can be very easily made... If it is an earlier gun, I can completely understand...

Spooky

I wonder about this myself, I have 4 different rifles from Chris and they all have different finishes.
He has experimented with different finishes along the way trying to find something that was both authentic and durable.
My 103K is an earlier model with the powdercoat finish and so far has been the most durable but probably least authentic.
Authenticity really matters to a lot of Chris's customers but that doesn't always mean its going to be the most durable.
As with the cleaning rod, I have way better tools for cleaning the barrel than the original cleaning rod. Besides it has to be cut short in order to fit in a K series rifle.

What really puzzles me is how a 74 style muzzle brake could be off time. They only go on one way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:46:33 AM EDT
Wellco Arms, (Dinkydow), does excellent work. He is an arfcom member. He has over 20 years experience. I've bought 5 AKs from him and they are all beauties! He gave me the AK addiction and I can't get rid of it and don't want to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 10:26:57 AM EDT by BB]
Who can tell me about Blackwell Industries and Global Military Gunsmithing? Anyone see any work from either of these guys?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:31:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:
Who can tell me about Blackwell Industries and Global Military Gunsmithing? Anyone see any work from either of these guys?

Here a 2 different types of builds that I had done by Ken @ Global Military Gunsmithing. IMO Ken is diffenantly one of the top Gunsmiths in the Country...I know for a FACT that he has fixed builds that were done by other BIG NAME smiths! Just a FYI you dont need to spend a Arm and a Leg to get your military weapons built.

AK 74

FAL STG 58 in Post Ban Config

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:17:24 PM EDT
The choice is simple! Chris at AK-USA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:27:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:

How did you come to that conclusion? From reading this thread I would disagree.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:32:44 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:16:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:

How did you come to that conclusion? From reading this thread I would disagree.

Bob

Simple, see for yourself!!!!!!!!!! All buily by AK-USA. I have 10 more kits to build and all will be built by AK-USA. I want the best , that's why I have Chris do the builds. All are FLAWLESS!!!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:38:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 4:05:43 AM EDT by BB]

Didn't you already post that on page one?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:34:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

It's a different picture, look again. Bye the way how many AK's have you had built and who di d the work?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 8:04:34 AM EDT by BB]

Originally Posted By BB:

It's a different picture, look again. Bye the way how many AK's have you had built and who di d the work?

Why do you keep making posts that don't pertain to the thread?
If we're talking about smiths that can build a quality AK for under $350, how does AK-USA fit in?
Top Top