Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/21/2005 12:42:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:45:33 PM EDT
I personally think AKs SHOULD look like that
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:50:03 PM EDT
I love a well worn look, they sure are worn when the military uses them.
I think you should kick that grip around some though.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:56:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:00:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 1:01:57 PM EDT by Kevin_M4]
Yes, that paint just kinda 'dusts' off doesn't it.

Worn AR, now that would be something most people are scared to do...I would love to see that
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:02:32 PM EDT
I appreciate them all for their own style.

I really like yours - the wear looks really good, like a nice broken in pair of jeans.

I also admire the perfection of a Ted Marshall build with deep dark paint and highlighted markings.

I can also admire the "tactical" AK's as long as I can see the functionality in them.

I just guess I am addicted to AKs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:04:36 PM EDT
I need an AK; there hasnt been one in the safe for ten years.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:13:00 PM EDT
Needs bluing or blacking.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:31:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 1:50:06 PM EDT by CDNgunplumber]
very nice looking

my Russian Type 3 AK47 and Chinese Type 3 T56 are beat up and i kept them that way..the history from all that patina
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:38:18 PM EDT
looks great but you do need a worn grip.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:39:32 PM EDT
A firearm worn by actual use is one thing, but like the brand new expensive home furnishings that have worn edges and nicks/scrapes, sold as "the distressed look" it's not for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:51:28 PM EDT
That ak looks great.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:44:16 PM EDT
is that inspired by SIMPLYDYNAMIC's '54 AK?

looks just like it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:51:53 PM EDT
Nice, what kind of sling is that, AMD?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:52:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:54:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:11:36 PM EDT
how exactly did you do that? with steel wool??? I love it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 3:27:25 PM EDT by TheTacticalSolution]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 8:37:14 PM EDT by OldTroop]
Looks better than shitty parkerizing....I did that to a WASR and everyone loved it....gave it some class. I think it looks good on certain guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:22:06 PM EDT
imo. all it needs now is a more beat up pistol grip and some beat to crap wood. that stuff just doesn't look right on there.. get some of the stuff from a romy kit...

looks great. <3 the beat up look.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:32:50 PM EDT
I like it ....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
Outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:53:35 PM EDT
Looks good to me nice and weathered.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:11:21 PM EDT
Nice..

The wood needs to be dirty though.. Not more beat up, just dirty.. Find some slimy greasy filth and smear all over the wood.. I'd wear on the pistol grip as well..

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:35:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coltshorty14:
Nice..

The wood needs to be dirty though.. Not more beat up, just dirty.. Find some slimy greasy filth and smear all over the wood.. I'd wear on the pistol grip as well..

The wood needs to be darker, and then beat up, matte finish like.

The pistol grip just needs to go. No matter what you do its still going to be black, but its kind of a pain finding some way to add a foreign grip and still be legal.

Looks pretty good though. A bit over the top, but not bad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:45:35 PM EDT
Looks good!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:49:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
I personally think AKs SHOULD look like that

Me too.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
WOW, I feel bad for that rifle. But it does look good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:30 PM EDT
I think you should finish the stock....stain it and oil it really nice to a nice orange/red.....then ding and scuff it up, that's all it needs
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:29:54 PM EDT
hmmm maybe some dirty used old black motor oil for the stock treatment?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 8:11:00 PM EDT by bulletslap]
All I have to do is loan one to my Son In Law.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:03:34 PM EDT
yeah, I've been contemplating a beat up russian milled kit, but I don't want it look too shitty, and I want it to work, so I'm a little hesitant to buy it online, sight unseen, from an unreputable or unfamiliar source.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:17:50 PM EDT
There needs to be an abused AK picture thread

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:36:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 12:39:28 AM EDT by Darkest2000]
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but...

I personally don't like fake/fabricated/artificially made wear. If I'm gonna wear my gun down it better be through actual usage. There's no "character" or "history" unlike a real battleworn rifle.

I mean this is almost like trying to pretend that your gun is something that it's not. Like a movie prop or replica. Or it's like having a fake USMC tattoo on your arm.

Practically speaking...your gun would be more prone to rust.

Ok I'm gonna go hide now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:49:51 PM EDT
I've got two ratty AK kits and an even worse looking M-16 kit (Sarco Colt buy a few years ago- already sold off the FA fire control parts) that came looking like that- I figure they got that ugly the hard way so they earned the right to be rebuilt that way. Heck, the AR doesn't have hardly any finish left on it, the furniture is worn down and scratched up and the upper even has minor pitting but the bore is nice with good lands and grooves and the internals look good. I plan to scuff up the recievers and they ought to fit right in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:12:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Darkest2000:

I personally don't like fake or articial wear. If I'm gonna wear my gun down it better be through usage.

I mean this is almost like trying to pretend that your gun is something that it's not. Like a movie prop or replica. Or it's like having a fake USMC tattoo on your arm.

+1, I don't get it. I like the analogy of fake antique furniture.

I spent 5 months in Afghanistan. While I was there, I got to examine some seriously beat AK's, including a Type 1 underfolder. There's a difference between those guns, and an artificially worn one.

I'd kill for a Nam bringback with no bluing left, but taking a new semi-auto AK, and dragging it around on the concrete, just isn't the same to me.

To each his own, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:32:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 2:36:04 AM EDT by patm41]
Nothing wrong with a worn looking AK..

This is my Russian from the 1950's... These guns are over 50 years old and have seen
usage some where in the world.. When i built mine i wanted to keep the old look about it..
the metal finish and the wood are origional.. so i made the reciever look to match the gun
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:09:25 AM EDT
My curent AMD-65 build has some love marks from me building it... I am not sure I am up to your method but I do love how that looks...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 8:40:39 PM EDT by ozone_00]

Originally Posted By Sigurd:

I personally don't like fake or articial wear. If I'm gonna wear my gun down it better be through usage.

I spent 5 months in Afghanistan. While I was there, I got to examine some seriously beat AK's, including a Type 1 underfolder. There's a difference between those guns, and an artificially worn one.

I'd kill for a Nam bringback with no bluing left, but taking a new semi-auto AK, and dragging it around on the concrete, just isn't the same to me.

When you're on the range/back yard blasting shit into smitherines with your AK, what are you really doing? You imagining that you're blowing the brains out of some foreign envaders, or that you're a mercenary hired to find Bin Laden. You're just an adult kid playing army. An artificially beat up gun just adds to the fantasy, so in essence, it is a movie prop. If at this point you're shouting at the computer screen, "What are you talking about? I don't do that!", then sell your AKs to me and switch to a scoped .22 bolt action and paper targets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 8:10:59 AM EDT by ShoulderIT]

When you're on the range/back yard blasting shit into smitherines with your AK, what are you really doing? You imagining that you're blowing the brains out of some foreign envaders, or that you're a mercenary hired to find Bin Laden. You're just an adult kid playing army. An artificially beat up gun just adds to the fantasy, so in essence, it is a movie prop. If at this point you're shouting at the computer screen, "What are you talking about? I don't do that!", then sell your AKs to me and switch to a scoped .30-06 bolt action and paper targets.

I disagree. I go to the range to practice, adjust my scope, become a better shot, talk to other shooters and see lots of different guns.

A couple of guys at the range last weekend were shooting a 9mm and I could hear them saying stuff like, "that was a kill shot". Those are the people that I get as far away from as possible because they obviously think it's a game and they most likely don't take the power in their hand very seriously. They also came up and were joking about my Beretta .25 I was shooting and said it was "cute" and asked if I wanted to shoot their gun because it was bigger, and I said "no thank you, I have an AK sitting over there"... you should have seen their faces... priceless.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:12:19 AM EDT
A few things to I'd suggest when trying to weather your rifle-

-One or two good dings or dents is enough.

-Replacment parts or Replaced parts. The black pistol grip looks as if it might be a replacement for one that was so worn that it was almost ruined. you've seen some really really old M16s with nice black handguards before- same thing. Replacement parts.

-Plastics like the pistol grip tend to get polished to a shiny finish. There usually aren't that many huge nicks or scratches because the owner's hand is usally protecting it. I'd put a few scratches and good scuffs at the bottom edge and then try to buff the grip to a shiny finish.

-Don't leave any scratches or nicks really sharp or jagged, smooth them over so they don't have sharp edges. only the newest scratch would have sharper edges.

-use a piece of steel angle from home depot to simulate the marks you'd get accidentally banging the rifle against sharp metal edges getting in and out of a tank or armored vehicle. Smooth the edges over.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:32:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bulletslap:
All I have to do is loan one to my Son In Law.

There'd be some stompin to do if my rifle got "finished" by someone other than me!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:48:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 8:52:47 AM EDT by Citat3962]

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/aklynn/AKS013.jpg

Now that looks proper..

Nice slabside mag!

If my AK was built from a worn looking AK parts kit I'd definately either have it refinished to new or blue and wear the reciever to match before assembly.

Since my AK is an SAR1 with a nice finish and black Polish furniture it really doesn't make sense to go for the worn in look... the worn in look REQUIRES wood somewhere on the gun..

You guys are really tempting me to sock away one of those AKM kits for a nice cheap worn look build to the yugo AKM look... I think it would nicely compliment my evil tupperware wire side folder wonder.

crap.... more mags for the existing AK or project AK parts kit for later.... decisions decisions.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:56:00 AM EDT
the purpose for having the beat up look is the same as having certain color stocks on the gun. why bother if its only a clone and not the real deal. the answer is that people want to have a gun that looks and feels a certain way to them. to some of us, having a gun that feels like not only that it could go through hell and still fire, but has makes it that much more fun.

its fun to go tighten your groups and just make sure you are shooting fast and accurately, reloading quickly, and handling the gun safety, but its a heck of a lot of fun to also play around. bump firing is fun, but i haven't noticed many people being able to keep a 3" group when they unload 30 rounds at...whatever they decide to spray. part of guns are play also. no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:03:05 AM EDT

Those are the same thoughts I get when someone wants to "test or prove" the AK's reliability.
No matter what you try to do in 5 mins. It's never gonna equal what would really happen in 5 yrs or even 50 yrs of that rifle's life in a soldier's hands.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:20:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:03:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheTacticalSolution:

Actually, this gun is more like a toy to me, a deadly one but still just something to play with.

I don't see it as any different from someone getting a camo paint job on their AR that only sees the gun range and the inside of a safe.

I just see it as another type of refinishing that gives it the look that I wanted it to have.

If I wanted to pretend I could always put a scope on it and call it a tack driver

EXACTLY! I'm proud of anyone who can admit that these are nothing but toys for adults. Yeah, it's our right, we protect our homes, we hunt, we target shoot, etc. but anything over and beyond what is needed to take down a deer or shoot an intruder is a toy and we all have them and love them. I wish people would quit trying to act tough and pretend their rifle is only for "real" use and not for toying around with at the range.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:18:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JosephR:
EXACTLY! I'm proud of anyone who can admit that these are nothing but toys for adults. Yeah, it's our right, we protect our homes, we hunt, we target shoot, etc. but anything over and beyond what is needed to take down a deer or shoot an intruder is a toy and we all have them and love them. I wish people would quit trying to act tough and pretend their rifle is only for "real" use and not for toying around with at the range.

That talk sounds like the AR side about their M4's

I have my one AK because it interests me and it's only used at the range.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:19:08 AM EDT

My next project is a worn AR

Did you see this post?

Worn AR's
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 2:38:50 PM EDT by Darkest2000]

Originally Posted By JosephR:

Actually, this gun is more like a toy to me, a deadly one but still just something to play with.

I don't see it as any different from someone getting a camo paint job on their AR that only sees the gun range and the inside of a safe.

I just see it as another type of refinishing that gives it the look that I wanted it to have.

If I wanted to pretend I could always put a scope on it and call it a tack driver

I wish people would quit trying to act tough and pretend their rifle is only for "real" use and not for toying around with at the range.

That's not what I was implying. Actual usage could include hunting, target shooting, desert shooting, mindless blasting, etc. Scotch brite pad stroking is not it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:50:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 2:51:42 PM EDT by Darkest2000]

Originally Posted By ozone_00:

When you're on the range/back yard blasting shit into smitherines with your AK, what are you really doing? You imagining that you're blowing the brains out of some foreign envaders, or that you're a mercenary hired to find Bin Laden. You're just an adult kid playing army. An artificially beat up gun just adds to the fantasy, so in essence, it is a movie prop. If at this point you're shouting at the computer screen, "What are you talking about? I don't do that!", then sell your AKs to me and switch to a scoped .30-06 bolt action and paper targets.

There's no fantasy about shooting my AKs.

I guess for someone like me who tries to keep my guns in clean and pristine condition (yes I do shoot my guns) as much as possible, it just doesn't make sense to actually intentionally destroy the finish.

The finish are applied to the surface metal to protect it from corrosion and yet you've just destroyed 90% of it because it looks "cool".

No doubt that it does look cool and have character. Just remember that "character" isn't gonna be real.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top