Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/22/2004 4:27:20 PM EST
I have recently been debating on getting an Ak-74 clone. I have heard good things from both ORF and AK-USA(AK-103.com) Both seem to be offering a unique finish on their rifles. Has anyone seen or used both of these, what would be the difference between the two. And in all honesty, which one is more durable, and looks better(originality).
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:42:49 PM EST
I believe ORF parkerizes there AK's. This is a nice durable finish but I prefer the painted finishes. I'm not sure what exactly AK-USA is using now on his standard builds but I talked to him and he has just finished forumalating a paint that he said is identical to the Russian finish. I chose AK-USA for my AK74 build because of his service of fully heat treating the OOW receivers. Also, I really do not like park on AK's. I will be sending off my parked Arsenal USA SSR-85C for gunkoting here in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:26:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 8:36:11 PM EST by mwc]
i dont have any experience w/ akusa's painted black, but i just got back an ak105 built by orf and im impressed with the "blark" finish done by orf. its a deep black parkerizing that looks outstanding on my rifle....the matte black is a much better match to the russian furniture set i have on it, and parking has always seemed more durable than paint on finishes in my experience. i chose orf for this build based upon their previous builds for me (hk51, fal, g1, etc), and haven't had a need or want to look anywhere else for my gunsmithing needs......YMMV
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:02:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:00:22 AM EST
What type of finish is standard for a russian AK-74 and a polish AK-47?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:03:25 AM EST
I will also have to say that I much prefer paint over park.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:12:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:37:38 AM EST
AK-USA's finish is as durable as you will find out there. He duplicates the original current Russian finish as close as possible. OUTSTANDING IMHO!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:36:50 AM EST
Here is the thing about powder coating...it can't be touched up. If you get a big chip or a scratch down to bare metal, there is no quick fix. You must bead blast the piece and re-powdercoat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:42:37 AM EST
I don't think that Chris uses powder coating anymore.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:24:52 PM EST
Gentlemen,

Firearms finishing is a VERY important topic as far as I am concerned, especially as it applies to the Kalashnikov. I have devoted well over 8 years time , much money and effort to find the ultimate finish. Things are very secretive at the factories and not commonly available. I have explored all finishes, including powder coating. I can now finally say that I have the original finish used by the factories in Europe. This is a Poly enhanced Enamel over Zinc Phosphate. It is the ultimate finish.

This stuff is like glue. Very, very tough, excellent adhesion, gloss can be varied as can texture and can take a good amount of heat. Thickness is about ~1Mil. I could go on in infinite detail. Cost is about $300.00/ gallon in sprayable form.

If this sounds to good to be true, it isn't. These chemicals are extremely toxic (4 parts). Once mixed the life is about 5 hours. If your exposure is aboove the small tolerable limits (PPM), you will be sick for a couple days. (I know) Preferred method for spraying is a hazmat suit with fresh air breathing app. Latex gloves are also a necessity as it can be absorbed through the skin as well.

My original intent was to offer this to an individual wanting to apply the original finish to his rifle at home/shop. It would be an abvious upgrade to the shit that is currently offered. I am not yet sure that this will be possible but I will be pursuing this aggressively.

Bob, (Campy) If you would like to see this finish, send me something and I will coat it for you N/C.

Obviously, this process is not inexpensive. I charge $225.00 minimum to do this. I think this is fair. I do have some Ceramic as well and I will continue to use this. I have some extra material for sale. It is fresh (today). This color will match the original very close and can be applied by anyone with an airbrush at home and is non-toxic. I have 2 quarts. It takes about 1-2 oz. per rifle. It is ambient cure. This stuff will take 1,650 degrees!

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Chris@AK-USA

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:06:25 PM EST
I got my AK-74 project back from Chris a few months ago. I am not sure if which coating it is , but it is by far the nicest of the 13 other AK's I own (and all of the non AK's too). No one I have shown it too has seen anything like it. Also the work was better than I could have hoped.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:52:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Merkava:
I got my AK-74 project back from Chris a few months ago. I am not sure if which coating it is , but it is by far the nicest of the 13 other AK's I own (and all of the non AK's too). No one I have shown it too has seen anything like it. Also the work was better than I could have hoped.

If it was done a few months ago it might be the ceramic finish.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:09:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:13:57 AM EST
I am awaiting my 5.45 Krink that will arrive on Monday that Chris just built for me. It has the new finish. I've seen pictures and it looks fantastic. I'll post some pictures when it arrives Monday night or if Chris wants to post the pictures he emailed me he can do that with my blessing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:08:44 AM EST
I like manganese for a paint over substrate. While mang is softer than zinc phosphate, it has a larger lattice and provides more terrain for the paint to adhere to. If the finish is to be left parked, then I think zinc is the better choice. Practiacally, is there really any measureable difference once the paint is on? Probably not. Am I a creature of habit? Most assuredly. =)
Top Top