Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 4:32:42 PM EDT
Ok, I'm looking for a multifunction drill press for just drilling wood, maybe to assist in building some kits, drilling some metal, etc. I don't have many powertools and don't know what specs are important enough to be considered so if you have time and would like to offer help tell me which one of these is better. If you know of another press around the same price I'd like to hear about that too. TIA

#1www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=40162-32764-DP200&lpage=none

#2www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921900000&subcat=Drill+Presses
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That one from Lowes looks just the like the old Craftsman drill press I've had for 16 years. I believe Delta made them for Sears back then. Darn good little press.
The Sears one looks fancy. But I have never felt the need for a laser aimer in the 30 years I've done shop work. It's just something that'll break later IMO.

Here's a very nice bench top model from Harbor Freight.
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44836

I recently bought their 1 hp 16 speed floor model with 17" swing that seems to be a bigger version of the bench top one. I bought it as my old Craftsman bench top with it's 1/4 hp motor doesn't like drilling 9/16" holes through 3/8" steel for the seats I build in my business. It's on sale in  their stores for just $189 right now. Great press for the money.
HF has cheap truck shipping and a low handling charge. Good for mail orders.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a Ryobi for my first build and hated it because the table would move too much side to side while trying to move it up and down.  I brought it back and got the Delta from Lowes, it's a keeper for the money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

#2www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921900000&subcat=Drill+Presses

That is the press that I have.  I picked it up when it was on sale for $89.99.  If you can hold out, it will probably be on sale again.

So far, it has done everything I need, but I only drill occasionally.  I am quite happy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought that Delta last summer. It works well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
During Christmas, Sears had the Delta Press for $78.00 and I used a 10% off coupon. I cannot give a review because I gave it to my Father.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the press that I have.  I picked it up when it was on sale for $89.99.  If you can hold out, it will probably be on sale again.

So far, it has done everything I need, but I only drill occasionally.  I am quite happy.

I just picked up this same press in an 8" model at a pawn shop yesterday for 45.00 It looks hardley used
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top