Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 6:54:27 AM EDT
How do I know how to pick out a good AK-74 parts kit.  I was looking at some of the kits still available at K-Var and I don't even know where to start.  Why are some sold out but others have been for sale for a long time.  Are all of the kits new?  I'm kind of leaning towards wood furniture just because I like the way it looks on an AK and everything else is pretty much an unknown.  

Any help would be great.  Thanks.

ETA:  What is the differences between these kits?

www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=212&3=627

www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=212&3=604

www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=212&3=679
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never had a bad experience with k-var kits all seemed new....Some sell more than others they probably wait and get one big shipment of kits at one time..

ETA: The older I get I lean more towards the wood to..
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I posted this over on the general board but want to get your take on it as well.

I found this on K-VAR's website attached to their AK-74 parts kits:

According to Federeal importation restrictions the barrels from AK-74 Parts Set can only be used for repair & replacement. The barrels can not be used to build 922(r) compliant guns.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the friggin barrels?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Campy explained this not to long ago but I've slept since then and for the life of me I cant remember the answer...

All I do remember is you can....Just do it!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of those kits.  The one I bought is now sold out.  It had the black bulgarian new style bayonet although the kit sent to me had the orange bayonet.

Basically its the bayonet that is different with the exception on the $260 dollar kits which has a slightly different compensator (Zig Zag).

So basically you can get a orange bayonet with zig zag compensator for $260 or get the kit with just the orange bayonet( a nice bayonet BTW) or get the wood kit with the black east german bayonet.

The kits are EXTREMELY nice!  By far the nicest kits I have ever seen bar none.  Like it has been said before here, K-var must/do cut up new guns for these kits.  When you get a kit, you'll know what I mean.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree the K-Var kits are awesome.  These guns had to be new unissued rifles that they cut down into the parts kits.  I personally like the plum or black polymer stocks as opposed to the wood, I noticed they keep creeping upwards in price and eventually they will probably all be gone. If I had more money I would invest in some more of them because I have a feeling once they are gone they will be gone forever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with that.   They bene out for a little while but they are surely begin to sell out.   Looks like just one plum kit and one black kit is left with some of the wood kits.  

I wonder if K-var will still import more kits, not just AK74 kits but I would love for them to bring back the Romanian AIM.  And I could use a demilled Krinkov kit also  :)

I just hope they don't stop importing kits.  That would really hurt not to have readily available kits since now AKs are selling for north of $500 dollars and higher.  Strangely, during the ban my SLR95 cost less than $400 dollars but try finding a milled AK for less than $500.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
That's why I bought 2 of K-Var's Bulgy AK-74 complete barrel assemblies to put back as rebuild/repair spares for my 3 SEAKs. These kits are great but aren't going to be around forever!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's why I bought 2 of K-Var's Bulgy AK-74 complete barrel assemblies to put back as rebuild/repair spares for my 3 SEAKs. These kits are great but aren't going to be around forever!...
Tomac

I've also heard about shortages on these kits and am wondering why.  Did they stop importing them?  I figured as long as there is a demand for them and they are legal we will be seeing them for quite some time.  Someone please explain.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I posted this over on the general board but want to get your take on it as well.

I found this on K-VAR's website attached to their AK-74 parts kits:

According to Federeal importation restrictions the barrels from AK-74 Parts Set can only be used for repair & replacement. The barrels can not be used to build 922(r) compliant guns.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the friggin barrels?

yeah, why cant you use the barrels?? I mean if you put the right US parts in why not
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Gosh, I would think there will be kits all over the place after the AWB sunset........I'm confused but that's normal for a dummy like me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#12]
They can be built into a rifle, how dow you think all these guns are getting built.  There is no source of a non-imported barrel I have seen.  Buy a kit and have it built.

If Global Trades imports the kits "they" can't build a rifle out of it but the kit can be sold to someone else and they can have another company build the gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tomac

I've also heard about shortages on these kits and am wondering why.  Did they stop importing them?  I figured as long as there is a demand for them and they are legal we will be seeing them for quite some time.  Someone please explain.

Well, there are only so many new/unissued Bulgarian AK-74's that can be turned into kits for us (even if the total number is in the thousands). Unless they start producing new rifles/parts solely for sale to the US this finite supply will eventually dry up and those without will be SOL.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They can be built into a rifle, how dow you think all these guns are getting built.  There is no source of a non-imported barrel I have seen.  Buy a kit and have it built.

If Global Trades imports the kits "they" can't build a rifle out of it but the kit can be sold to someone else and they can have another company build the gun.

well then how come ORF can build the SEAKS and sell them
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well then how come ORF can build the SEAKS and sell them

I believe this is because ORF is buying them from someone else who is actually importing them.  It's all fucked up if you ask me but I think this is the reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
well I am going to oreder one of those kits, those look so purty
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How do I know how to pick out a good AK-74 parts kit.  I was looking at some of the kits still available at K-Var and I don't even know where to start.  Why are some sold out but others have been for sale for a long time.  Are all of the kits new?  I'm kind of leaning towards wood furniture just because I like the way it looks on an AK and everything else is pretty much an unknown.  

If it was me, I would go with #3. Ya it comes with a black or brown mag but it is the same kit as the $249 kit minus the Russian orange mag. If you want the orange bakelite mags just pic up some East German mags.

Let me know if you want one. If you dont mind waiting 4 extra days or so for the kit to get to me, I can save you a few bucks on the kit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I got the plum furniture instead of wood, but this is the (then $169 kit with black bayo) kit from Kvar.  If the thing was ever fired at all before being cut up it was only a few test shots, it's looks brand spankin' new to me...

Finished product on a bent blank:

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was me, I would go with #3. Ya it comes with a black or brown mag but it is the same kit as the $249 kit minus the Russian orange mag. If you want the orange bakelite mags just pic up some East German mags.

Let me know if you want one. If you dont mind waiting 4 extra days or so for the kit to get to me, I can save you a few bucks on the kit.

#3 is the one I went with.  I like the looks of the orange bayo instead of the black.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

#3 is the one I went with.  I like the looks of the orange bayo instead of the black.

Same here, I like the orange with a wood set..
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top