Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:46:22 AM EDT
I like bursting water-filled containers at 50 and 100 yards, so the HP ammo is fun.  However, I've been thinking about which would be more practical for general combat/SHTF/self defense usage.

Would the HP work any better as a manstopper?  How much of a difference in accuracy is there between 7.62x39 in HP and FMJ?  How much difference is there in overpenetration?

I guess I'm asking if there is any real advantage with using FMJ, or should I just stick with the HP ammo?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
whatever is cheaper
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
isnt hp just fmj circumsized (the tip snipped)? i believe soft point would be the way to go for expansion
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
isnt hp just fmj circumsized (the tip snipped)? i believe soft point would be the way to go for expansion

Well no.  HP actually has a hollow middle and has the "potential" for some great expansion or deformation upon impact.  SP is certainly great, but it tends to cost more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer FMJ,it provides better penetration in hard targets and still pokes 30 cal holes in tissue.I've also seen vehicles stopped with AKs,its rather impressive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I prefer FMJ,it provides better penetration in hard targets and still pokes 30 cal holes in tissue.I've also seen vehicles stopped with AKs,its rather impressive.

Well darn it!  Now I'm even more conflicted with which to buy.

There's a place nearby that occasionally comes up with unbelievable bargains on ammo.  I'll see what they've got and which is least expensive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well no.  HP actually has a hollow middle and has the "potential" for some great expansion or deformation upon impact.  SP is certainly great, but it tends to cost more.

Only one 7.62X39 HP brand fragments, ULYANOVSK, and no HP mushrooms.  And since the HP jams on the feed ramps sometimes, there is no benefit to the HP at all
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only one 7.62X39 HP brand fragments, ULYANOVSK, and no HP mushrooms.  And since the HP jams on the feed ramps sometimes, there is no benefit to the HP at all

Now that is a very helpful answer.  Thank you for the insight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And since the HP jams on the feed ramps sometimes, there is no benefit to the HP at all

I have a MAK90 and I have fed it thousands of rounds of nothing but Wolf HP. I have never experienced a single jam.  It has also been my hunting rifle and has brought down several deer. So, it kills efficiently too. But in regards to the feeding issue I think it depends on the individual rifle. So just buy accordingly to what your rifle likes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well darn it!  Now I'm even more conflicted with which to buy.

There's a place nearby that occasionally comes up with unbelievable bargains on ammo.  I'll see what they've got and which is least expensive.

I've been looking for a place with good ammo prices.  Which place are you talking about?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Van Wagonens (sp?) on State street in Orem.  The owner/manager is one of the most arrogant people I've ever met, but on occasion they get great deals on ammunition.  I'd shop there all the time if the owner didn't get on my nerves so much.

For better service I go to Gunnies more often.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get FMJ. Its usually slightly cheaper than SP and if SHTF I would rather have FMJ cause it would shoot through a car door much better than HP and IF a person is wearing some kind of flack jacket or armor your chances of penitrating it is much better
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
rifle caliber..............unless it's a vest.....

That bitch is penetrating.............
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it the ar15 way, get both.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot those blue 55 gallon water barrels with Wolf HP,  nothing more then a 30 cal hole entering and leaving.   I stay with FMJ, besides sometimes the HP don't cycle as well when bump firing from a 75 round drum.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top