Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2010 2:48:30 PM EDT
I want to build a Chinese clone AK.  Which current kit will get me the closest? The rifle does not have to be an exact copy but I want it to resemble an AK that would have been used in the Viet-Nam era.  Which NDS  receiver is appropriate?
Thanks,
Ralph
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yugo has a similar patterned reciever, but the trunnion is reinforced and heavier then the Chinese. I think the best choice is to just get a real Chinese AK like a MAK-90. It is a lot easier to replicate a milled Chinese AK then stamped AK imo, so maybe you should check one of the Bulgarian kits.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
+1.  Milled MAK-90 and make the changes to it (although the slant-cut receiver at the rear will be an issue to overcome unless it's not important) or just go Bulgarian and work it up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a build like you are talking about last year for my personnel collection, I used a part numbers matching pre ban Chinese MAK 90 kit in 7.62 x 39 and built a Chinese type 56S clone. The build was on a NDS-1 receiver with the front and rear trunions fitted for the 1.0 mm receiver. I procured a new set of Chinese furniture and stained it in a soft orange as opposed to the blond. I also added the required number of parts for 922r compliance. Although not a "Collector Grade" rifle. it does make for a nice shooter at 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of an authentic NIB collector rifle. It now resides with it's other two Chinese cousins.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#4]
OP... not sure which version of the VN era chinese AK you're after ?? If it's the milled reciever version then I'd suggest going with a CNC Warrrior reciever and ask that the serial # be located at the top rear of what would be the front trunnion on a stamped AK. If you want authenticity then go with a custom NUMBERS ONLY 8 DIGIT SERIAL NUMBER, then give Mario at Piece of History a call for the engraving of the chinese factory & selector markings. You'd also need a screw-in type barrel to stay original.

Stay away from The Firing Line recievers unless you want the "eagle" stamped into your reciever somewhere, a non-custom serial even though you paid for a custom one, and machining marks cut into the lightening cuts that would have to be polished out by hand (ask me how I know..).

The stamped reciever chinese didn't show up till later in the war and were not near as common as the milled version. If building a stamped gun then you'd save some cash by debanning a MAK-90. Just my .02 from having tried this before.YMMV
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Great replys.  I am just getting into the AK after years of ignoring it, so pardon my noobness.  What are the major differences between the variuos models?  Seems like everyone and his brother made a different version.
Ralph
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great replys.  I am just getting into the AK after years of ignoring it, so pardon my noobness.  What are the major differences between the variuos models?  Seems like everyone and his brother made a different version.
Ralph

soooooo many differences. Google is your best friend for research. But just to name a few things, chrome lined or non chrome lined barrel, receiver thickness, blued vs. parked finish, ect.

I agree with the above though. Get  a mak-90, straight stock and 922r compliance parts, and you can have a nice replica. Mak-90's can be had for 350-500 and are very nice quality. I made one myself. For compliance I used fire control group, gas piston, and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd get a MAK and then get the appropriate pieces to bring it back to its original evilness.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd get a MAK and then get the appropriate pieces to bring it back to its original evilness.

Big +1. I cannot think of a single reason to waste all that time making a gun that looks Chinese when there are more Chinese AKs out there than nearly any other type.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top