Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2011 7:45:27 PM EDT
Hey y'all.  Since this is my first post I'd just like to say that I'm proud to finally be a member of this kick ass community.  I've been lurking around for a while but just joined not too long ago.  Bought my first AK (1968 Wasr 10/63) on my birthday and must say that now I have the AK fever.  Anyway, I'm looking to pick up a few more mags and wanted to get some opinions on which ones to get.  My Ak came with 2 steel mags and I picked up a Tapco 30 rounder when I bought it.  Shot a couple hundred rounds today thru the gun and it functioned flawlessly with all mags.  AimSurplus has some New Bulgarian mags for $8.95 and Surplus European mags for $9.95.  So my question is, which ones are the best?  Will both function equally or is it just a matter of personal preference?  I thought I read in another thread that the European mags are the flat back (chinese) style and the Bulgy mags were the standard ribbed mags?  Is one style better than the other?

Thanks

Andy
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I always feel it's preference, but more often than not the popular answer is go with steel milsurp mags. I gave a polymer Bulgarian 40 round and a Tapco 30 rounder, along with a good number of steel 30 round mags, all work well for me. But given a choice, I'd go with tried and true steel euro/etc. surplus.

Oh yes, and from someone still fairly new to someone newer, welcome to the boards!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Powder,

Everything I've gotten from AIM has been great.  I bought a few of the Bulgarian/plastic follower mags but haven't tried them yet.  They look great and I expect they will work fine, but the tried and true commie/Eastern European steel mags have the best record.  So try a few of each, but I would get more of the used European mags than the ones with the plastic followers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong with either mag. It's just a choice of whether you want the Chinese style (flat back) or the Russian/European style (spine back). Both will serve you well.

Just a note.   The "surplus European" mags that you are looking at are Chinese mags that were imported to Yugoslavia years ago and are now being sold off as European surplus.  All true steel "European" mags have the spine on the back.    

Russian/European  steel mags = spine on back

Chinese steel mags =  no spine on back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
AIM is great to deal with. Get the all steel surplus European mags. They will last forever.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I' reading that the Chinese/Yugo (European) mags that AIM has are good to go then?
I have been buying these Chinese [European] mags at the local shows for about 8 months now. They cost $1 more than AIM, but there is no shipping charges,  & I choose the best mags from his huge supply. However, any steel imported AK mag is great, & at under $10, a bargain. Should you have compliance issues, you get 1 Tapco mag. Who even cares if it works.  GARY  N4KVE

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top