Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 12:51:52 PM EDT
I am sure this has been asked a hundred times over but when you have a budget of $400 total, which AK would you suggest buying?  Some say Romy's and some say go old school with a MAK 90.  Any advice and is anyone wanting to sell two??

Thanks for any help in advance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My ROMANIAN mail order bride has been good to me.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
There are several for  sale on the EE now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Spend another 50 bucks and get a Vector.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Romanian. Best value, every time. You can drop more money and get better fit and finish, but for pure function go romanian every time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
My Ewbanks Romy AKM has functioned flawlessly for almost 900 rounds since I got it in Nov. I know that there are many differing opinions on the JoeKen guns here, but mine is a peach. It got me hooked on the idea of building my own AKM's.
Romy's may be the least expensive, but they are solid guns.
I'm lucky to own four guns that have been functionally flawless since day one of ownership. My AKM, my Yugo SKS, MN 91/30 and my SA XD45 acp.
I've only had one poor gun. (PT745) It's back at the Taurus factory now for repair. I've had problems in my CZ52 and Mauser due to really poor milsurp ammo. With good ammo they are great.
My first build will be one of my Romy kits. Once it's done I plan to get a set of walnut furniture for my Ewbanks Romy from Ironwood. I know it's black poly furniture is more functional, but I'm a wood guy at heart.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am sure this has been asked a hundred times over but when you have a budget of $400 total, which AK would you suggest buying?  Some say Romy's and some say go old school with a MAK 90.  Any advice and is anyone wanting to sell two??

Medic, it's a no brainer - the Mak 90.   The only reason someone would recommend a romy first is because they have never fired a mak.   Mak has a heavier barrel, a heavier reciever, is well built and has a very smooth, crisp and clean trigger.   Also - it's accuracy is absolutely superior.  

For quality Buy the mak 90 first,  you will be hooked.  

For "coolness"  buy the romy.... it "looks" meaner.     It really doesn't matter which you buy first, once you get one you will be hooked and more will follow.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medic, it's a no brainer - the Mak 90.   The only reason someone would recommend a romy first is because they have never fired a mak.   Mak has a heavier barrel, a heavier reciever, is well built and has a very smooth, crisp and clean trigger.   Also - it's accuracy is absolutely superior.  

For quality Buy the mak 90 first,  you will be hooked.  

For "coolness"  buy the romy.... it "looks" meaner.     It really doesn't matter which you buy first, once you get one you will be hooked and more will follow.  

I agree with you in going with the MAK-90 because I happen to own one.  I considered purchasing a Romanian, but I found them to be "cheap" when compared to my MAK-90.  Sure, that is probably due to whoever assembled the Romanian here in the US, but the finish was crap, I could easily bend the receiver with my fingers, and a couple that I have handled had extremely rough actions on them.  Finish aside, the flemsy receiver scared the heck out of me and I hate to think of what impact that has on accuracy.  The ultra rough action was another down side because I hate to see what impact that has on reliability.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top