Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/27/2002 3:34:51 PM EDT
AK dudes,

I'm thinking about buying an AK to sit alongside my AR's.  Which would you recommend?
What would be the Colt / Bushmaster of the AK world?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're interested in the standard length bbl. only, I'd definitely go with [Arsenal Inc. AK's. Probably the nicest ones available, & at around $700.00-800.00 ea. They make 4 models:  SA-M7, SA-M7S (recommended), SA-M7 Classic, & the SARPK-7

Krebs Custom makes nice AK's, but they cost approx. $1K ea. He makes Krinkovs & carbine style AK's.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Scroll down the page for SAR rifles

198.63.62.70/acatalog/

I bought two of these slutty commie rifles ,the SAR 1 and SAR 2, and only wish I had the funds to complete the trifecta and buy the SAR 3 with the requsite mags.

These rifles are an excellent way to get into the AK game and avoid buyers remorse. They are great values also.

I put an RSA trigger in the SAR 2 and gave the SAR 1 a trigger job and de-slapped it.

Great rifles.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The beauty of the AK is that whether you spend alot, or a little, they all work.  Accuracy is acceptable, and mags are cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a SAR-2 and a Romak 992. Both are decent rifles and worth the money. But the SSR-85B I bought from www.globaltrades.com is an excellent ak. The fit and finish is perfect. They are presently selling SSR56 for around $469 and are offering some SSR85B and SSR85C for $559.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]
WHY ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WHY ?

Not for sure if you are asking me why or someone else why. If it's me about my post on the SSR85B then it's because it looks so much better than a SAR1. The SAR's are excellent for the price, I'm not knocking them. But the SSR's are perfect in appearance. My SAR's finish is scratched, the metal work isn't very good, the wood doesn't fit well, the finish on the wood is bad, the gas piston is welded, trigger had to be replaced, varnish is on the receiver like the buttstock was dipped with it mounted on the receiver. The SSR OTOH has excellent metal work, nice even park job, wood is finished very nicely and fits the metal perfect. When I bought my SSR it was $489 at Global and the SAR's where selling about $130 less here in Houston. The time and effort it would take to make a SAR 1 look like a SSR85 just didn't seem feasible to me. For the price the SAR is a very good buy, but needs work to make it look nice. The SSR is perfect out of the box.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top