Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/25/2004 2:49:28 PM EDT
I am completely new to AK's. I know not to expect AR like accuracy from them which forces me to lean more towards which AK harbors the most cool factor.

Which AK's have the best receivers? Or Which AK's come with the nicest furniture? Which AK's are more desirable than others?
I have a NIB Chinese AK from Norinco with a thumbhole stock I could row a canoe with. The finish of the receiver looks shitty right out of the box. It also has a few serial numbers that were engraved with a hand tool during an earthquake. Is this mormal?

Do any AK's come with a nice parkerized finish? Do any of them come with bayonte lugs?

I want to know which AK to lust after the most.

Arfcom Rules!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
heres a good review of most AK varients

www.ak-47.net/ak47/index.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am completely new to AK's. I know not to expect AR like accuracy from them which forces me to lean more towards which AK harbors the most cool factor.

Which AK's have the best receivers? Or Which AK's come with the nicest furniture? Which AK's are more desirable than others?
I have a NIB Chinese AK from Norinco with a thumbhole stock I could row a canoe with. The finish of the receiver looks shitty right out of the box. It also has a few serial numbers that were engraved with a hand tool during an earthquake. Is this mormal?

Do any AK's come with a nice parkerized finish? Do any of them come with bayonte lugs?

I want to know which AK to lust after the most.

Arfcom Rules!

All looks aside, you'll want the one with the happy switch.   But without the $11K price tag.

The engraving on your Ak is normal for a lot of post ban Chinese AKs as it was probably in customs with evil markings/features.  They then neutered the weapon and gave it a new PC name such as MAK90 etc so that it would pass for importation.

I have a preban Norinco 56S which to me has had beautiful finish on both the metal and wood.  (I've since added some dings character to the wood and scratches patina to the metal)

As for new manufacture the finish on the Bulgarian AKs offered by Arsenal Inc seem OK (I have 3) but to me, it's a paint job not a finish.  Personally I feel a sentence that has both "AK" and "nice finish" to be similar to a sentence with "Light Beer" and "Flavor".  It's a tool, not a status symbol.  The best tools are the ones you know and the ones you know are the ones you use.  

Your Norinco with a 922 comliant face lift using exotic or hand selected wood could very well turn out to be the best looking AK to you.  (As long as you can adjust to the engraving that is)

I once saw a Vietnam bring back FA AK47.  The wood had no finish remaining and seemed to be  stained similar in color to "sewer water gray".  The metal was a worn silver on every piece and the butt stock cleaning kit door was missing.  That was one sexy weapon in my eyes.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder so YMMV!

HTH.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear what your saying sly. Regarding the tool factor, I hope that never in my lifetime my AK has to be anymore than a toy, as I am a civilian not a professional warrior which is why I tend to give the furniture and receiver finish a second look.

I love shooting just like the next person but I never get the chance to do enough of it nor can I afford the time and money for those cool weekend tactical training classes to obtain the aforementioned "worn character" look. My gats are not safe queens but they pretty much resemble them.

Gunzer
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
All of them....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Chicom double under-folder. (under-folding buttstock with front sight base mounted under-folding "pig-sticker" bayonet)

The ULTIMATE in "cool factor"

JMHO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
MAK-90's are great, go to Ironwood and get a different stock for it
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
that bling one i saw a while ago, it was gold plated or something.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]
stylin
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top