Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2004 4:24:04 PM EST
1. New East German mag for $21
2. New Bulgarian waffle mag for $11
3. Wait for new production mags
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:43:12 PM EST
Bulgarian waffles. That's too high for a 30rd steel mag, regardless of origin.

Waffles are hands-down the best IMHO. No rust, no scraping receiver, lighter, etc.

I'm a sucker for plastic. I'm almost at the point now where I think steel should have very limited use in any newly designed rifle. I'll take some heat for that, but HK has some stuff where even the trigger components are high-rigidity polymer.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:46:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:47:44 PM EST
Fast G, Just take it slow, the prices will come down.
Just wait grasshopper.

Tec-Nine , I agree, I like plastic bulgarian mags, but love silicone.

Later,
vato
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:53:35 PM EST
Thanks for all the responses. I have to wait anyways since I don't have an AK yet. I'm waiting for the VPER2 to come standard with "Evil" features. Hopefully it'll be soon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:53:40 PM EST
I have polish steel, Polish polymer, and Bulgy waffles.

The steel has never been used, I think it sucks. The Bulgarian waffles are best hands down IMO. The Polish ones are really nice too though.

I'd get the Bulgs now, they will be fine
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:00:21 PM EST
Don't wait for new production. I don't think there will be any. I think every AK mag on the US market is surplus from some com-bloc country.
TAPCO has good prices on 30 ($13.00) and 40 ($15.00) round Romanian steel mags and 20 ($5.00) round Hungarian steel mags. K-VAR has good prices, too. I'd get an assortment of those. The AK steel mags are a great deal, IMO. A really rugged mag. TAPCO also has US made followers, if you need them for compliance. RPB had US made floorplates and Chinese 30 round mags for $9.00.
I assume that you have a Eastern European variant. I've noticed that the Euro mags are a bit loose in Chinese guns and Chinese mags are a bit tight in Euro guns. They seem to function well.
Also, I don't see AK mag prices changing with the Sunset. They've been cheap for several years now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:53:13 PM EST
I like the steel ones myself. My limit is normally about $7-$9 a mag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:01:33 PM EST
I love my steel 7.62 mags, not even sure what country they're from as I've had em forever. Ribbed backs, non Romanian (I'm thinking E.G....) But then again I do love my E.G. "bakelite" and Bulgy black 5.45 mags though....

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:33:35 AM EST
Top Top