Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 1:16:21 PM EDT
I bought 7 romy G's from tapco.

Unfortunatly they said that they only have 20 left.  I would have bought them all if I could afford it right now.

The guy I talked to said that the next batch of kits they sell will have cut up barrels.  My question is where are you guys getting your kits once these all dry up?

I got one of CSI's 99 dollar kits last week, but it wasnt worth the 99 I paid for it.

When will a US guy come up with US barrels for these?!

-Matt
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out sksman.com , they have barrels on there. I heard that some of the yugo underfolders already have the U.S. made barrel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
i found some romy kits at  a gun safe store in boise there  phone number is 208-376-1314 they also have some .308 1919 kits also  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
i thought all that debate about BATF requiring barrels to be cut or shipped without barrels had been decided.  I thought that they had backed down on that fresh spanking law of there?  Do i need to buy a ton of kits?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]
i thought they backed down from the barrel ban and kept the recever ban..... crap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought so too , but have seen more and more kits being sold without the barrel "as per BATFE regs". Remember who gets to make our decisions for us.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Boys at tapco said that the kits being sold after these are gone will have cut barrels.  They arent selling them until they have to
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]
time to put myself in debt and buy a bunch of kits................  Ill have to call my supplyer and see if he is going to have the barrels cut as well.  DO nto knwo if it is worth building if barrels cost 100 bucks extra
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i found some romy kits at  a gun safe store in boise there  phone number is 208-376-1314 they also have some .308 1919 kits also  

Called him.....

wow!

first they were 425.00, now they are only 150.00

romy G's by the way
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
holy crap.  I aint paying that much fro romy G's.  They are kidding themselves.  Still planety of places to get the kits for 100 bucks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Calm down guys.  Lets not do to the kit market what we did to the ammunition market.  Right now this is just internet talk.  Last i hered the barrels could still be imported.

Has it ever occured to you guys that some of the importers are taking off the barrels to drive up hysteria and prices?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Has it ever occured to you guys that some of the importers are taking off the barrels to drive up hysteria and prices?

That is some tinfoil hat thinking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However a very good point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never under estimate the power of the almighty dollar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Could be hype, or they might be doing this in anticipation of a future barrel ban. Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
also a reason for century to do new barrels on the yugo underfolders is beacsue they are already shitted out from use. i dont think its beacuse of import problems but chances are they got the cheapest kits and found someone to produce barrels cheap for them. just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never under estimate the power of the almighty dollar.

You all know i'm right.

The real tinfoil hat thinking is that you have to buy 20 of these kits "just in case"
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
hell, i figure ill just pick up 10 just to be safe.....   Better safe and crazy insteed of just crazy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
hell, i figure ill just pick up 10 just to be safe.....   Better safe and crazy insteed of just crazy.

I really wish i had that kind of dough to drop on kits

being a college student sucks ;(
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
drop out and build guns

works for some
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Tapco is famous for manufacturing a little motivation into their sales pitch... case in point..  remember the G1 FAL kits?   I bought four or five kits for $89... and it wasn't long before the front half was $89, and the rear half was $89..  and then funny little combinations of parts was $89...  It's the  Marketing Scheme extraordinar!!!..  so,  get 'em while they're  $109...    Les
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought 10 of the Romies and am still sitting on some Yugos and even some AMD65 and 63s in unused condition.  I am in the process of making pistols of the Romies and the AMD65s.  Might sit on more of them until I see what the market does.  I also bought 10 Romy barrels and stocks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
damn and im just looking for one more rommy G kit...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Well you can always tell the wife that they are investment pieces.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]
she said so are diamonds

Quoted:
Well you can always tell the wife that they are investment pieces.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Diamonds are a poor investment.

I was unaware that there was any "if-ands-or-buts" about the barrel ban.  Where are you guys getting this from?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I got my info direct from Tapco.  They said "Once our current stock is sold out.  All other AK kits will be delivered with cut barrels."

whether or not they do it just to hike the prices seems to be undetermined.

I do know that they got me to buy seven though.  Hype or not, it never hurts to have a hobby.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
also a reason for century to do new barrels on the yugo underfolders is beacsue they are already shitted out from use. i dont think its beacuse of import problems but chances are they got the cheapest kits and found someone to produce barrels cheap for them. just a thought.

My understanding is that because Century imported the kits, under the rules in effect prior to (as well as after) the barrel ban, they were not allowed to build the kits with the original barrels, since their Form 6's specified that the barrels were for replacement purposes only.  Those restrictions only applied to the importers, however, which is why homebuilders could build with the original barrels.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was unaware that there was any "if-ands-or-buts" about the barrel ban.  Where are you guys getting this from?

which direction did you think the decision went?  Are you saying that the barrel ban was a sure thing or the other way around?
I thought it was decided that the BATF back down from the barrel ban.  I am sure there are threads and better explinations why then i could find.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

which direction did you think the decision went?  Are you saying that the barrel ban was a sure thing or the other way around?
I thought it was decided that the BATF back down from the barrel ban.  I am sure there are threads and better explinations why then i could find.

The only "back down" I've read about is that barrels that are used on rifles with "sporting purposes" are still importable. When it comes to AK kits, we're still SOL.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#31]
ACKKKKKKK, i thought there was a big disscusion on here that said we are ok. Damn damn damn damn damn
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read a couple responses on this board about this, but I haven't seen it on the ATF website, so I don't know where it's coming from.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I wonder, if they are going to be shipping barrels that have been cut, where will they be cut?  Forward of the front sight I hope.  It would be difficult to use them for making rifles, but they might be usable for pistol builds.  I've noticed a lot more AK barrels being offered for sale without the rest of the parts kits.  I suspect that companies that are making AKs with US made barrels are just taking them off and selling them individually.  I am hoping to make a few AK pistol and rifle barrels in a wildcat caliber (.338x39), but it may take me a bit of time before I get around to it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#34]
It was my wife's idea to buy a bunch of Romy kits as investments. Since I'm doing the work I get to keep one as payment.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top