Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2004 6:29:45 AM EDT
I have one that is begging daddy for a folder retro on Monday.

What's up with the K-Var Romanian wire folders? Will they fit on a SAR?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes they will fit with no modifications.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
They will fit an SAR-1.  I got mine here...

Novelty Guns
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that the Under folder you're using DigDug?  

Sportmans Guide claims:

Fits all stamped receiver AK variants such as AKS, MSK90 and others. No gunsmithing. Has everything you need for easy installation including the steel side-folding Butt Stock, complete with sling loop and all the necessary parts. Condition: brand new, never issued.

Would that $99 under folder work for a SAR-1/2?

But, wow, this Romanian Side-Folding Stock is only $33.00.  

These guys claim:

Romanian side-folding stock - will fit on all stamped receiver AK - Fits European stamped AK without making any changes - Includes Mounting Screws. *Best Buy!

This bent coat hangar side folder looks like its got some places that could poke and pinch your hands if you're not careful.  One nice thing about this one is that I can take pride is how little I spent on my SAR-2  

Thanks-
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't care much for the looks of the Romy folder but for the price I said what the heck and gave it a try. It works surprisingly well, the left-offset working to improve cheekweld w/irons & the PK-AS sight I use. The Romy folder has really grown on my and no nipped/poked/pinched parts yet!
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]

cheekweld

Ah -- that's important and I had not considered it.  The Romy one doesn't seem to have much of one from the pictures.  As expensive as it is (relative to the Romy one) I hope the under folder works on a SAR-1 & 2 without modifications.  If someone knows, please chime in.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

cheekweld

Ah -- that's important and I had not considered it.  The Romy one doesn't seem to have much of one from the pictures.  As expensive as it is (relative to the Romy one) I hope the under folder works on a SAR-1 & 2 without modifications.  If someone knows, please chime in.

The Romy folder has a much better cheekweld then it appears to.  It's much more comfortable to me than an underfolder.  I would not recommend it for a 7.62, though.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree, while I like the Romy folder on my 5.45 AK's I don't think I'd be as enthusiastic if used on a 7.62 AK!
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]
OK Thanks for the info.  From the looks of it these guys are near by me so I'll call them and find out their store location.  

Now all I need is some cheap self appliable hostile-environment coat and I'm rocking and rolling.  Perhaps Gunkote.

My SAR-2 is the antithesis of my bling bling bells and whistles AR.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK Thanks for the info.  From the looks of it these guys are near by me so I'll call them and find out their store location.  

Now all I need is some cheap self appliable hostile-environment coat and I'm rocking and rolling.  Perhaps Gunkote.

My SAR-2 is the antithesis of my bling bling bells and whistles AR.

They don't have a storefront.  Just email or call them to order.  The stock I got from them was brand new and works beautifully.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
After a thorough wirebrushing and cleaning I gave mine a couple of coats of Brownell's AlumaHyde II (similar to GunKote but it air-cures instead of oven baking).
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I use my rommy side folder on my SAR-1 and have had no problems with it. I like it alot and there still pretty inexpensive. And yes till teusday it doesn't close officer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Novelty guns +1
Gun kote +1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
So now here's the real question.

Now that the Damn Ban has expired.

I only bought one Rommy folder from Tapco when they were $29.95.

Which rifle do I put if on.

The SAR1, or the SAR2. I gotta put it on one of them, just 'cause I can.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So now here's the real question.

I only bought one Rommy folder from Tapco when they were $29.95.

Which rifle do I put if on.

The SAR1, or the SAR2. I gotta put it on one of them, just 'cause I can.

SAR-2 'cause recoil from the 5.45 is much more pleasant than 7.62 recoil when using the Romy folder. Tomac
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, the SAR2 is where it went. And the recoil thing was exactly my thinking.

I'm really diappointed though. I put the stock on my SAR2 last night. I had not ever mounted it, since it was illegal. (Honest) I put the stock on and got out the screws. Put the first one, the long one, in and tightened it down. Got out the second screw and it didn't have a hole in it for the allen wrench. I got the stock back last October and never even looked at the screws, except to note that they were there. If I had looked at the screws I'd have had them replaced and the stock mounted by now.

So its off to tapco.com to get some more screws.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my 5mm screws from AA-OK. They're made for the EG folder but work perfectly w/the Romy folder as well (although the rear screw may or may not need to be shortened just a turn or two to keep it from binding against the folder). Keep us posted...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#19]
The screws that came with mine were metric allen screws and the short one was still a tad long.  I picked up a couple of 5mm Phillip's screws from Lowe's.  One is the same laength as the longer screw and the other is a tad shorter than the short one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is that the Under folder you're using DigDug?  

Sportmans Guide claims:

Fits all stamped receiver AK variants such as AKS, MSK90 and others. No gunsmithing. Has everything you need for easy installation including the steel side-folding Butt Stock, complete with sling loop and all the necessary parts. Condition: brand new, never issued.

Would that $99 under folder work for a SAR-1/2?
Thanks-

No gunsmithing?  How can that be?

.... "side-folding Butt Stock"?    Is that just a typo?

Brad
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Tapco (very politely and with great speed) told me that they had sold all the Rommy side folders and screws and had none left. The were very nice about it, this isn't a slam.

So now I'm off hunting screws.

The Sportsmans guide thing is wrong. It shows an underfolder, and says side folder. Must be a typo, or they're using the wrong picture. I would not order it from them unless I knew exactly what I was getting. There is a thread in the AK Discussions forum about the junk AK kits some people got from them. I don't think they know an AK from an Enfield.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Well Tapco just sent me a second email. Seems they do have the screws in stock and are shipping me a replacement set at no charge. Considering I ordered the thing last October, I'd call that great service.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There is a thread in the AK Discussions forum about the junk AK kits some people got from them. I don't think they know an AK from an Enfield.

That's good to know.  I bought a pair of German mil spec field telephones from them and everything was as advertised but I'll be careful about the AK stuff.  My bro has bought some stuff from them and been satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They will fit an SAR-1.  I got mine here...

Novelty Guns

God!  I hate that cheesy Mission Impossible theme music this website has!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Not $33 anymore..............up to $48!

R.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Not $33 anymore..............up to $48!

R.......

knew i shouldnta procrastinated again
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I got lucky and picked up another pair of Romy folders to put back at $30 each just a day or so before the price jumped to $48.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Got mine for $37 from Guns-N-Stuff... Best deal I've seen in the last week or so... It just got it today! 1 min to put on.

www.gunsnstuffonline.com
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#29]
We did previously sell Romanian AK side folder stocks for $37.95, under p.n. AK112. These sold out during the recent wave of demand following the demise of the AWB. Our supplier also ran out, but they did find another batch of side folders at a higher price to us. What we currently offer is under p.n. AK112W, and the latest price is $49.95.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
We did previously sell Romanian AK side folder stocks for $37.95, under p.n. AK112. These sold out during the recent wave of demand following the demise of the AWB. Our supplier also ran out, but they did find another batch of side folders at a higher price to us. What we currently offer is under p.n. AK112W, and the latest price is $49.95.

Harlan
FAC

yeah i called you guys yesterday.  just not worth $50 to me though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#31]
$50 is better than than one vendor who is selling them for $69.99.

I lucked out and got a welded one off the EE last week for $25 shipped.

I'd keep checking the various WTS forums.  Maybe once demand drops the prices will
drop?
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top