Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 5:17:45 PM EDT
I have a Vector underfolder and noticed something odd, or at least new to me.  The Polytech AK I have has rifling that goes all the way to the end of the barrel.  So when I unscrew the slant brake, the rifling is right there at the tip.  

On the Vector, approximately the last 3/4" of the barrel, ie. the threaded portion, is widened and has no rifling.  The parts kits they use are supposed to be Hun or Polish.  Is that a characteristic of either of those AK's?  BTW, the bore looks very nice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My 2 Romys (WASR10 & SAR1) have threads all the way to the end.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My Vector underfolder rifling goes all the way to the end. I don't think its polish, but my classic is.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

On the Vector, approximately the last 3/4" of the barrel, ie. the threaded portion, is widened and has no rifling.  The parts kits they use are supposed to be Hun or Polish.  Is that a characteristic of either of those AK's?  BTW, the bore looks very nice.

It's counterbored, there was probably a nasty spot there and it was removed .
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's counterbored, there was probably a nasty spot there and it was removed .

Could you explain counterboring in more detail?  I'm guessing that what you mean is there was some damage to the crown and they bored it out to remove that, correct?  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT for more info on counterboring.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was just the crown that was messed up, one could have the crown recut.  But, to have the inside of the barrel messed up to require material removal, the guess is that there must have been some thing wrong inside of the barrel.

So, they took it to a lathe and machined out the rifling.  Either that or they used a reamer and bored out the barrel.  I do not think I have ever seen a barrel that had the rifling machined out in such a manner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it was just the crown that was messed up, one could have the crown recut.  But, to have the inside of the barrel messed up to require material removal, the guess is that there must have been some thing wrong inside of the barrel.

So, they took it to a lathe and machined out the rifling.  Either that or they used a reamer and bored out the barrel.  I do not think I have ever seen a barrel that had the rifling machined out in such a manner.

Thank you.  I wish I could post pics but I'm not sure they would turn out.  I will shoot it on Thursday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Counter boring is really a faily common repair in military firearms.. I would guess that the muzzel end damage is due to un-coated steel cleaning rods, and improper use of them..

Chances are the bbl was counter bored by the Country of origin, and not by Vector..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Counter boring is really a faily common repair in military firearms.. I would guess that the muzzel end damage is due to un-coated steel cleaning rods, and improper use of them..

Chances are the bbl was counter bored by the Country of origin, and not by Vector..

That actually makes me feel a lot better.  I had just never seen this before so I was like WTF.  I'll see how she shoots on Thursday.  

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have handled hundreds of Russian AK-47 barrels, and have seen many counter boring jobs.
Many of these were done on brand new barrels; if the chroming job for example, was too thick near the muzzle. Chroming a barrel properly is indeed a difficult task, but if counter bored, at least you still have a usable barrel (minus of course the .5" to 1.5" of missing rifling).

-C
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have handled hundreds of Russian AK-47 barrels, and have seen many counter boring jobs.
Many of these were done on brand new barrels; if the chroming job for example, was too thick near the muzzle. Chroming a barrel properly is indeed a difficult task, but if counter bored, at least you still have a usable barrel (minus of course the .5" to 1.5" of missing rifling).

-C

Thanks for the info.  I had never heard of this process before this thread.  I've only read that if a crown was damaged then the tip could be cut and re-crowned.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top