Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/28/2005 1:38:16 PM EDT
I've searched the forum about shipping out the rifle to FFL via USPS but couldn't find the post.
I was literally kicked out of the local post office not too long ago while everyone else looking at me like I’m a serial killer. I told them it’s legal and told them to look at their post manual but they treated me like psycho.
Well, this time I’m trying to print out the manual and be well prepared for another confrontation!  

Also, is it legal to ship out the firearm to FFL dealer by just verifying the FFL# on ATF site?  I’ve heard some dealer refused to send out their FFL copy to individual for some reason.

One last thing, I've heard that some people (not FFL holder) ship out the rifle via UPS or Fedex ground and tell the content as part or something.  Is it legal?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It is perfectly legal to ship your long-gun vis the Post Office.

It is also best to expect a chilly reception. You are going to get nowhere looking for a confrontation. Here is what I used to do when I sent firearmsout through the Post Office:

Get your info ahead of time where it states in their own regs that you can do it.
Call ahead of time and ask to talk to the manager. Explain the situation. Ask him if he can accomodate you. Ask him if anybody else in there has experience with firearms.

That being said, I figured out the easy way to do it:

Get an online account with UPS. Schedule a pickup from your home. No quesions asked. No-brainer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys for great advise!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I just reference the shipping guide on Gunbroker
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told by the Round Rock Texas post office that I couldn't ship a firearm with them unless I'm a FFL.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks krinkfreak, I've been wrangling with my local post office about the regs on shipping a shotgun barrel to one of our ARFCOM members.  The link to the regs was a big help.

The post mistress pulled out the manual, scratched her head for the next 10 minutes and determined that, yes, I could ship it.  However, she did not enthusiatically endorse this.

OH, WELL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to call the 800 number today because my post office postmaster said it was illegal to ship any firearms unless i was a manufacturer or a ffl.  i had already read the website so i made a quick call to the 800 number and they gave me the local mailing requirements office.  the lady i talked to was very helpful.  she told me that the postmaster was temporary and she would call up and straighten him out.   although i could have brought the printed out paper back up there i figured the postmaster,  knowing it all, would try to say that the part about the ps form 1508 meant i couldn't.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
this is of course only if they ask you what's in the package, sometimes they do to me and sometimes they don't.  and the one's that do always will tell you it's illegal, and you'll have to either show them their own rules and ask for a mail inspector, it's annoying, but oh well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've gone through that unpleasent bullshit one too many times.  I don't mind the hassle with the clerks - It's the people stepping back and away from you that bothers me.  

Now a days I pack and strip the rifle to as small as possible.  I bring it into the po and don't say a word.   I leave it at that.  Also, I will only abbreviate the receiving FFL's name if any mention of gun is on the contents.  I will just note as Company etc.  Learn to cut your own boxes.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Now a days I pack and strip the rifle to as small as possible.  I bring it into the po and don't say a word.   I leave it at that.  Also, I will only abbreviate the receiving FFL's name if any mention of gun is on the contents.  I will just note as Company etc.  Learn to cut your own boxes.  

OK, I am going to be shipping a pistol next week. All I need to do is strip it, pack it, and go to the post office and mail it (to an FFL)? Do I have to declare the contents? Do I need to show them a copy of the FFL?  Thanks guys, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what to do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I am going to be shipping a pistol next week. All I need to do is strip it, pack it, and go to the post office and mail it (to an FFL)? Do I have to declare the contents? Do I need to show them a copy of the FFL?  Thanks guys, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what to do.

individuals can't ship pistols through the post office.  ffl's can ship them to other ffl's.  the post office i go to asks if the package contanes anything hazardous, fragile,  ....  everytime. I know some people send there guns without saying what it is through the post offfice or fedex/ups.  I would be worried about them losing it.  if you insured it and they lost it you would have to tell them what it was or then you would get yourself into somekind of insurance fraud.    
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

individuals can't ship pistols through the post office.  ffl's can ship them to other ffl's.  the post office i go to asks if the package contanes anything hazardous, fragile,  ....  everytime. I know some people send there guns without saying what it is through the post offfice or fedex/ups.  I would be worried about them losing it.  if you insured it and they lost it you would have to tell them what it was or then you would get yourself into somekind of insurance fraud.    

That's what I am trying to confirm, can I ship a pistol myself or not. I asked one of the FFL dealers on this site, and he said it was absolutely legal. I'm not saying he is right, but I don't think he intended to tell me wrong, because I was originally going to have him ship it for me. Now I'm just confused.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I am trying to confirm, can I ship a pistol myself or not. I asked one of the FFL dealers on this site, and he said it was absolutely legal. I'm not saying he is right, but I don't think he intended to tell me wrong, because I was originally going to have him ship it for me. Now I'm just confused.

from reading the usps info online and talking to a few people who work there i don't think it is legal.

ETA by the way, that was an awsome deal on that vepr you got  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from reading the usps info online and talking to a few people who work there i don't think it is legal.

ETA by the way, that was an awsome deal on that vepr you got  

Thanks for the advice, I think I am just going to go ahead and pay him to ship it just to be safe. He only charges $20 for the FFL anyway. As for the VEPR, I am very happy about the deal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't use the post office...I just go to a UPS main center and ship from there
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Non-FFL-holders can't ship handguns via the Post Office. Only long guns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I just walked up to the post office with my gun (in a guitar box) gave it to them, paid for it, & left. I also did send it to an FFL but I never told them it was a gun or anything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Get an online account with UPS. Schedule a pickup from your home. No quesions asked. No-brainer.

+11

(probably cheaper too, with actual tracking and signature confirmation online when it is recieved)

not sure if your other question was answered. bt the online FFL EZ check is not good enough as a stand alone verification. it is meant to check the hardcaopy against the info on file. still need a faxed or sined in ink form.
tell the buyer he needs to find an ffl who accepts from an individual or pay extra for you to have your ffl send it out
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top