Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/23/2003 9:08:31 PM EDT
I will be picking up my laminated stocked SAR1 real soon and am interested in setting up a LBE or tac-vest of some sort for my new rifle. Any suggestions? I saw a vest for $60 from Center Fire Systems but I am not so sure about it...I plan to buy both 30 and 20 round mags for the weapon if that helps any. I will try to put the 20 rounders in my LBE vest(USGI) but it is of course set up for an AR, so don't know if that will work or not? What are you guys using? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I don't have pics. I took an advanced GI LBV, removed the mag pouches, and ordered two sets of two mag pouches from FSU. http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_pouch.htm

I then had the local tailor sew them into the vest. It cost $20 for the tailor, $39.99(it was underpriced that's why I bought it) for the advanced GI LBV, and the mag pouch cost. The whole thing cost less than $80. It will accomidate all other US equipment and hold 30 rders. I'm really happy with it. I couldn't find a cheaper way to do it that would still be up to date in quality. I can carry 8 30rd mags for my SAR1. The cool thing is it will accomidate a GI buttpack, commo pouch, so on and so on. Good luck. There are a lot of ways to go. This was my personal favorite.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are at all interested in a suspender type harness setup, I am selling E. German raindrop pattern 4x mag poches for $4.00 cheap here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=187756
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats your price limit?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Tactical Tailor and FMCO make pouches that will fit 30rd Ak mags. Your 20rders will fit in your USGI LBV, but only one mag per pouch isntead of two as with AR magazines since the AK ones are thicker with the steel construction. FMCO also makes a vest for use withthe AK and seeral of the major manufacturers make what you need, from vest style to chest rig style to simple satchel style. I carry a Tac Tailor rig on my belt for two mags and the Tacvest style to carry a few 20 rounders. I have a couple of the FMCO ones I got off the EE and would stick them on a pack. If I want to go more basic I use one of those 6 mag satchels. Depends on your price range, intended use, and what feels comfortable to you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TE126

I have one and it fits 30rounders really well. As well as having d-rings everywhere and loops on the back for other gear. Really nice!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe someone here can ask Abu Jihad seeing how he has used webgear in conjuction with an AK in actual combat.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Check this place out:

http://www.russiancombatgear.com/index.php

Seems really nice.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
www.cheaperthandirt.com

They have everything... ammo, and just about any surplus item you can think of. from time to time they get some South African tactical vests (i think they have some right now), and the South Africans use those R4 Galil-type rifles... kalashnikovs.  They also have other tactical vests... at pretty good prices.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to say thanks to everyone with their suggestions and questions! The questions make me think real hard about what I really want. I have considered a standard USGI LBE setup with the mag pouches that look like M-16 pouches but are made for AKs. But there is a part of me that wants a tac-vest setup...maybe I'll do both. I definately plan to check out the links you guys provided! Again, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TE126

I have one and it fits 30rounders really well. As well as having d-rings everywhere and loops on the back for other gear. Really nice!!!

How many 30 rounders can you get in?

I've just got a 40 and a 10 right now, but have the vest for my Armalite. It would be nice to only need one just vest.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd go with a chest rig set up.  I have recently shelved my tac vests in favor of the chest set ups -- theyre easier to get on and off as well as easier to negotiate in and out of vehicles.

The vest set ups are nice but youre really limited to do using them to assualt type set ups whereas a chest rig will allow you to use your existing back, camel back etc.  So unless you want to spend alot of $$ to get pouches and mods to your vest, I rec. that you go with the chest set up.  If you must have a vest and carry more gear - look at the blackhawk doav vest.  For chest rigs, the blackhawk STRIKE stuff is well made and holds up very well, tactical taylor, and SOE also make good rigs, but they cost more.  

Get something that allows you to change/move pouches since this way you can change out the rig for different guns/situations.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#14]
How does this work, the chest rig, in the prone position?  Is it comfortable at all to shoot in this position with this on your chest?  Also, Tactical Taylor has the MAV - nice chest rig with movable/customizeable pouches.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
OK I know a stupid question will probably get me a stupid answer, but here goes: What is the diference between a chest rig and tac-vest? Don't the vests place the mags on your chest or lower ab region? Please tell me the differences between the two...Also if possible can you list the pros and cons of each? I checked out some of theRussian vest/LBE setups on the links provided and they look pretty functional and rugged. Anybody have experience with these? Again thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used this type of vest before during boardings and guard duty. One thing it's not comfortable. How practical is it for your application? If you are like me you want to maximize the amount of AK mags you could hold in it correct?

I also recommend looking at those Russian gear sites listed above.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#18]
 Well....  since I,ve tried almost everything
that,s already been mentioned. If your wallet can stand it get a SOE Frog AK chest harness
and you probably will never need anything else.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]
They both place the mags in about the same place.  Neither are especially comfortable to shoot prone.  Both have the same disadvantages when trying to reload prone with the exception that the vest may have more side/lateral mag carriers which MAY be easier to get to.

Personally, I like the chest rigs better because they are easier/more comfortable with packs, etc.  I also like the fact that I can have a pistol, knife etc. on my belt while taking off the heavy mags/chest pouch.  With a vest its all attached - so its an all on or all off type thing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, thanks for explaining the differences to me...Now I am really unsure as to what I want!LOL I guess I'm gonna have to try a couple of different setups and see which I like best. I am seeing benefits to both...
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]
My only experience with these rigs is at tactical carbine classes. I had a custom PALS vest made up by CTC that I took to Sigarms Academy  with my AR. It was setup to carry 8 magazines along with camelback and additional pouches. I thought it was the cats ass and paid a pretty penny for it. After my first day of shooting prone, I realized a vest was not for me. It was very uncomfortable lying prone with 8 mags digging into your ribs. I finished shooting prone with the vest un-buckled at the front and spread open. In any other situation the vest worked great. My instructor made a good point when he told us we should train with what we use. Me being a civilian, I really thought the vest was overkill. I mean really, how often am i really going to be using this thing? I took the class to learn carbine fighting tactics for personal defense and the chances of SHTF is very slim.Worst case scenario would be protecting my property from looters during a civil unrest situation. I really didn't need that much gear hanging off my shoulders and so I began looking for a lighter solution. I found it in the CQB Solutions chest carrier shown above. It claims to hold 3 magazines and has attachment points for my 2 Tactiac Tailor pistol mag pouches on the side. I was actually able to get 6 magazines in it with Magpuls. it's discreet when worn under a jacket and holds more than enogh ammo for civilian needs. Unfortunately it doesn't allow me fast acces to AK magazines so I have bought a cheap Chinese 3 cell mag pouch for $14 and am having Eggroll Labs customize it to be more user friendly with fastex buckles and PALS webbing on the side to attach pistol mag pouches and a utility pouch. It will look very similar to this. total cost: $35

Before

After
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top