Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2013 8:51:27 PM EDT
I know the SKS is a predecessor to the AK in regard to technology.  However, AK's are still being made.  As far as I know SKS's are not.  Now a few years ago an SKS could be had for $100.  Then it was $200.  I'm just wondering how many decades from now it will be before we see the SKS pass the AK in value merely due to it's rarity by comparison?

What do you think?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:28:11 PM EDT
I'd say 10-15 years from now. They are original military pieces and I'd think they will get more collectible as time passes. Then again, maybe not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:33:34 PM EDT
JMHO, but rarity? No way.

There were probably 88bazilion sold in the glory days of the '80s - and they were just the cosmo'd CHICOMs. Factor in several thousand more Yugos, Russians, Romys, and an occasional Albanian - not rare enough on the market to go beyond say, WASR pricing.

OTOH, for build quality alone - machined recvrs and parts, all that wood - they pretty much surpass all but the Legend AKs in terms of construction. I know I'll be keeping my last SKS forever.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:38:53 PM EDT
Never except for limited models.

The SKS is a gateway gun.  The cheap price makes you like shooting but you wind up wanting better guns.  Guns with nicer triggers, optics and bigger mags.  You will likely try to make the cheap SKS fit this want with a Tapco stock, terrible pro mags or maybe  some crappy rail for a crappy red dot sight.  Then you learn the need for expensive optics.  You might even try to do a trigger job on the SKS fire control group.  A few years later you finally realize you should've just left the poor SKS alone and you try to undo all the stupid crap you did to it or just trade it off on something better.

The folks that feel a warm friendly nostalgia for the SKS will someday pay a premium for them.  Maybe for a real Russian or the one with the right bayonet or maybe just the hard to find M model or whatever model uses AK mags.  These are the ones that will be valuable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:27:20 AM EDT
I can't believe the panic prices on those things.  I was seeing them with tapco stocks for sale for $500 on facebook.  Hard to say if any of them sold or not though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:31:25 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never except for limited models.

The SKS is a gateway gun.  
View Quote

The SKS used to be a gateway gun and I can't believe that I never bought one.

Now....for the price, might as well pick up an AK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:53:05 AM EDT
When a Chevy Malibu passes a Corvette in price!   GARY
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:02:29 AM EDT
The only SKS's i have bought or would own again are the Chinese ones that came from Norinco that accepted the AK mags.(models D,M, and the MC5D)

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 11:44:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:45:49 PM EDT
A brand new Norinco SKS with a spike bayonet was my first rifle.  Bought it in 91 for $75 if I remember correctly.  Sold it years later for $350.  Wish I would have kept it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:41:33 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A brand new Norinco SKS with a spike bayonet was my first rifle.  Bought it in 91 for $75 if I remember correctly.  Sold it years later for $350.  Wish I would have kept it.
View Quote

I still have an unfired Norinco in the back of my safe that I got for $89.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:35:56 AM EDT
I remember selling Russian SKS's for more than WASR's were going for in the 2005/2006 range

Pawn shop rescue Russian I could get $400-$450 for

WASR I could get $350-$375 for
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:35:49 AM EDT
It's like anything else collectible, the more people that take their SKS rifles and modify them the more the price will go up of a unmodified one. Well taken care of SKSs will eventually after everybody puts all that crap on them with those horrible Tapco stocks and loses or destroys the original pieces will go higher and higher in price. That means even if they (SKS) might be considered an inferior rifle, look at what has happened to the M1 Carbine which is not an accurate rifle. I remember the Carbine going for about the same price and start to rise as people modified them. Now a good WWII one is well over a grand, especially the para folding stock version. The value will keep going up and up because they are not made anymore, the ones here are it. If someone starts making them again they will be considered reissues, remakes or such and NOT an original unless they use parts made years ago or parts made on the original machinery. Not so with the AK, they are still being made in pretty much the same way with old parts, there are millions and millions of them floating around the world and parts seem to be coming into the USA from more and more places.

So yes eventually from a collectors standpoint a good quality SKS will eventually surpass the price of an entry level AK, I see it now. Whatever happens with the collectors world filters down to the every day purchase to some extent. It's that way with vehicles, instruments and any other potentially collectible items.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:31:44 AM EDT
I had a real Russian, polished blued, with blued bayonet- sold it like an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:00:09 AM EDT
I wonder if we'll ever see any more military rifles imported in quantity? I'd settle for some commercial chi-coms if that was all we could get though. Just goes to show us that you don't appreciate something if you got it cheap.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:00:22 AM EDT
I wish I wish, just like the days of mosin nagants 91/30's and m44's were selling in the 40 to 65 dollar range at fun shows. I only wish I had knew the value I did not see in all those I hade passed on. I did the same with SKS rifles passed on many deals that now would seem like winning the lottery. I never thought I would see yugo SKS's selling for 350 and up
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:02:58 PM EDT
Sure, the most desirable and rare SKS's are selling for slightly more than the cheaper Ak's, mostly parts guns.
But, the more desirable AK's will always be worth more, lots more, than the most desirable SKS's.  Just as an example, look at the difference in price between a Norinco SKS and a Norinco MAK90 or a Polytech Legend.  I don't expect this to change, ever.
Asking big bucks for an SKS is one thing, to actually get those big bucks is another.
JMHO
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:52:05 PM EDT
i do have to agree that the sks is a gateway gun, though my first real gun was a ruger 10/22 when i was in high school. that was oh shiet... maybe 8 years ago.
tons of mods for the 10/22 but didn't really get into it much, picked up a yugo m59/66 from a pawn shop about 3 years ago and thats when the bug really hit me. i bubba'd the f**k
out of that thing.. re-blued it, made a big project out of it...went through many phases. wood was trashed anyways. however i do think the tapco stock does look decent if not over done with accessories.
i still have the yugo today and a chinese sks that i left alone with its original wood furniture, and yeah eventually you'll realize you should have just left it alone but anyways...
yes i did pay quite a bit more for the chinese then the yugo, (in todays market)  but that goes without saying... they are a little over priced for what it should be.. but i like owning a piece of history
and its fun to shoot plus ammo isnt too hard too find for it, or terribly over priced.
" />

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.