Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:33:36 PM EDT

Ok, I've bent my receivers and rivetted the trigger guard in place. Question is, when should I harden it?  Can I go ahead and weld the rails and trim the upper / lower rails before hardening it?  Seems if I harden it now I'll need to do it again after welding and trimming the rails.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The only things that I've hardened on my receivers were the pivot holes and the inside rails, so I imagine you can harden the receivers at any point prior to putting a finish on it and bringing it to the range.  I would do the inside rails prior to spot welding them on though, just to simplify things.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll harden the rails and holes, and then harden the upper rails after I weld the lower rails in.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the best method for heat treating the receiver? (Pardon the noob question)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
i want to know this as well ..  how does one heat treat the reciever properly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you heat treat???  Go here - from soup to nuts... it's good.  http://www.surplusrifle.com/ak47/index.asp
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A MAPP torch. Get the spots you want to treat red hot, then douse in water ( heat and douse one spot at a time). Then sand the blue color off each spot, heat each spot just until it turns blue agian, but before red. then let air-dry. If you get the red, redo the sanding and low-temp heat. You sand the metal so you can see when it turns blue again. Takes all of about 5 minutes.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top