Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/21/2004 5:04:17 AM EDT
Is this SLR 101 S comparable to the SLR-95, Better, worse?
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976379033.htm
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK, and I couldn't find the previous posts covering this topic-

The SLR-95 is imported into the country with the magwell opened to accept standard 30 rd magazines.  It is equiped with a t-holes stock.  (ie- it is a "sporter" model) US parts would need to be installed to legally add the correct stock and the lower tang for the rear stock is not present. ie. there's going to be some machine work to get the proper look + $ to add us parts.  The rifle itself is priced lower than the 101 series...

The SLR-101S AFAIK, comes in with the magazine well cut undersized so as not to accept standard capacity mags.  ARSENAL INC of Las Vegas NV then opens the mag well to accept standard capacity mags and adds the proper US parts in order to be compliant to the 1989 import ban. (922r)

In short, they're "exactly the same, only different".  One needs converted unless you're happy with the T-hole stock and the other has been converted.

Does that help any? BTW- Welcome to the forums dgreketis

Sly

Guru corrections are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the welcome.  
In a nutshell this is what I want;  An accurate representation of the AK-47 as close to the original minus full auto of course.  I would like it to be a quality piece that looks as good as it shoots.  I'm hoping I can find one in the $500 range.  Does this rifle exsist?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The 101 s is single stack.

FAC website:

SLR 101 S AK Rifle
Bulgarian semiautomatic AK rifle with milled receiver. Has black thumbhole stock. Receiver is machined for a lower tang. Takes only single stack AK mags. With one short mag. Includes left side scope mount rail! Caliber 7.62x39. FFL Required.

ETA:www.arsenalinc.com/slr101s.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The 101 s is single stack.

FAC website:

images.dailyshopper.com/cmswimages/gunsnstuff/5012/b_39_01.jpg

SLR 101 S AK Rifle
Bulgarian semiautomatic AK rifle with milled receiver. Has black thumbhole stock. Receiver is machined for a lower tang. Takes only single stack AK mags. With one short mag. Includes left side scope mount rail! Caliber 7.62x39. FFL Required.

ETA:www.arsenalinc.com/slr101s.html

That would surprise me- as I have two that are 922r converted and accept hi-cap mags.

Unless I'm forgetting a digit in my model number somewhere...

These were new from the factory- the box does show a t-hole rifle though/

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976344972.htm

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I was just going of the S.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was just going of the S.

It's still a bit confusing even with the "S" moniker.  AFAICT, there's ads for the hi-cap version listed as model 101S on GunsAmerica as well as ATLANTIC's website.

I'm starting to get as confused as thinking about prancing Ponies. (Colt)

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome.  
In a nutshell this is what I want;  An accurate representation of the AK-47 as close to the original minus full auto of course.  I would like it to be a quality piece that looks as good as it shoots.  I'm hoping I can find one in the $500 range.  Does this rifle exsist?

From this I'm gathering you want a copy of the Russian milled?

Chances are that you'll have to go with a custom build.  The Bulgarian milled offerings which we covered; SLR-95, 101S- while it is IMHO one of the best offers out there, misses the mark as far as being authentic as it gets. Consider the Arsenal offerings:

A) Have a 90 degree gas block vs. the "old school" 45 degree.

B) The gas tube doesnt have the vent holes running horizontally.

C) Needs threaded with a muzzle protector (Muzzle nut) on the end.

D) Needs a bayo lug

E) The current SLR-101S runs ~$600 range.  Better deals have popped up on the EE:

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=122

Of course since the 94 ban went bye-bye, there are new offerings and variants coming out. So this list isn't all-inclusive.  It just seems that when the companies to throw out a "correct" variant, it costs.

I'm not sure how the LEGEND series by Norinc/Polytech stack up against the genuine issue Russian AKs. They're as close to correct for the Vietnam conflict as possible however they are rare and run 1K+... I'm not sure what type of bayonet the Russians used and whether the LEGEND misses the mark on bayonet attachment or not...

Hopefully someone with more wisdom than I on the subject can point you in the right direction....  *cough* There's more than a few here *cough*

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
must be an SLR 101 SG or SB model according to their website.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
E) The current SLR-101S runs ~$600 range.  Better deals have popped up on the EE:

Sly

$500 at FAC.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't argue what it says on the website , instead I offer this :

Doublestack and drums ............. no problem .
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I like that, it looks just like the SLR-95 without the thumb holer.  Is that the only difference between the two?  Also where can this rifle be purchased and how much?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like that, it looks just like the SLR-95 without the thumb holer.  Is that the only difference between the two?  Also where can this rifle be purchased and how much?

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976344972.htm

I have not info on the seller but there's one at a decent price on GunsAmerica.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm, that looks like a nice AK at gunsamerica.  What is FAC, do they have this AK for $500?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Pretty much the same as the 95 , but without the bunghole stock .

I found it at a local fun store and paid $525 with 6 mags . They had 2 more last
time I was there .

To answer CAMPYBOB , Yes it has the Bulgarian style optic mount
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Chrome1, I'm looking at  the SLR-101S from KY Imports for $539.  I hope its the same rifle.  I take it your happy with it?  Yours is mighty purdy.  Is it stamped Arsenal Inc. Las Vegas?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Chrome1, I'm looking at  the SLR-101S from KY Imports for $539.  I hope its the same rifle.  I take it your happy with it?  Yours is mighty purdy.  Is it stamped Arsenal Inc. Las Vegas?

Real happy with it ,so much so that I just ordered a SLR 105 R  and yes It's an Aresenal Inc from vegas .
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top