Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2005 8:50:21 PM EDT
I've heard a lot about the type III and very little about the type II.  I just don't know what is different between the two.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Type II is the mutt that bridged the gap between the T1 and T3...
However it is the first milled receiver AK-47 in existance.

Stock attachment via estucheon, different lightnening mill cut, different barrel parts (sometimes....like I said it was a mutt and can be found with many different parts on it, T1, T2,or T3 or combinations!)
Many other differences to name here.

Built from Approx 1951-1955.  That is the SHORT list.

-C
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Good basline pics Darkest2000, those are Bill York's guns, and he has refinished them and put new wood on them, so they aren't exactly the perfect 'training tool' if you will, but they show the basics.
I could (and am) write a book about the variations between the years...

-C
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats the difference in the gas blocks between the two of the above pics?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whats the difference in the gas blocks between the two of the above pics?

The machining is slightly different, and the type III has the cut out for the sling loop.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good basline pics Darkest2000, those are Bill York's guns, and he has refinished them and put new wood on them, so they aren't exactly the perfect 'training tool' if you will, but they show the basics.
I could (and am) write a book about the variations between the years...

-C

Yes I'm sure I've missed a few things, such as internal differences but the pics do know the obvious differences.  Also as far as I'm concerned type IIs should all come with hardwood furniture instead of laminate as show it the pic.  Apparantely they're interchangeable with type IIIs.

It'd be interesting to read your book, make sure to let us know when it's complete.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I was also wondering, what does a Type 1 AK47 look like?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe that a Type I had a stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Type I had a stamped receiver that looks a lot like the Saiga12 at the front trunnion.

It had durability problems so the Russians went with the milled receiver untill they got the bugs worked out of the stamped one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Type I had a stamped receiver that looks a lot like the Saiga12 at the front trunnion.

It had durability problems so the Russians went with the milled receiver untill they got the bugs worked out of the stamped one.

Actually the durability reasons are kind of a false rumor... the T1 is actually quite beefy (i have a few parts kits myself) and many T1s are still going strong over in the sandbox and other theaters of warfare... The issues for stopping T1 production were more for reasons of quality control and production methodology... getting consistant welds and other manufacturing procceses specific to the AK-47 were the real hurdles for Izhmash, and after two or so years of trying to figure it out, a decision to go 'milled' was made. I have yet to see a 'worn out' Russian AK T1, or any Russian model for that matter!

Thanks Darkest, we (myself and my collaborators)  hope to have printed books in the next  few years, hopefully while MTK is still around!

-C
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Actually the durability reasons are kind of a false rumor...
Live and learn, my info came from Small Arms of the World (12th ED. 1983).
Thanks Darkest, we (myself and my collaborators)  hope to have printed books in the next  few years, hopefully while MTK is still around!COOL!

-C

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the durability reasons are kind of a false rumor...
Live and learn, my info came from Small Arms of the World (12th ED. 1983).
Thanks Darkest, we (myself and my collaborators)  hope to have printed books in the next  few years, hopefully while MTK is still around!COOL!

-C

Dr. Ezell (God rest his soul) has provided invaluable information on the world of small arms, and I have even had the pleasure of meeting his widow Virginia Ezell; however, even 'Kalashnikov Arms and the Man' has inaccuracies and has left out what I would consider important facets of the Kalashnikov lineage. Regardless, I am in the firm belief that no one person can be the end all be all expert on a subject matter; so glean as much as you can from all your sources, and distill it all down for your own gospel...that's what I have written above...

-C
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a matching T2 Paratrooper, runs like a champ.  This one was built in 1953, I'd be curious to know how many T2 paratroopers were built.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is a matching T2 Paratrooper, runs like a champ.  This one was built in 1953, I'd be curious to know how many T2 paratroopers were built.

www.hunt101.com/img/330284.jpg

Actually, you would be suprised how many were made.. I actually think that the T2s are just as common or maybe even more common then the T3s are.. Find a cache of Russian AK-47s? Most will be T2s.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]
russian T3 AK47 on the right and chinese T3 Type56 in the middle
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/gunplumber/guns/100_6426.jpg

Which one do you think is the better rifle?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Are there any photos of the T1?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Couple pics of Type II and Type III Russian AK kits, both have all matching numbers and
all parts appear original to each rifle. Upper 2 pics are 1951 dated Type II that remarkably
retains 90-95% of it's original blue finish. I have some pics of a complete Type I rifle but
it may take a while to find them.

Below is an undated Type III.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the chinese 56 more just because of the fixed bayonet..it has a high LCF to it...but comparing the quality of them together..they match up
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top