Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 10:48:17 AM EDT
I know nothing about drums, whats the best type of drum to buy and around what price should you pay for it? Thank you and God bless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The wind up drums are best.

They can be fully loaded and spring wound up just before you use it.
View Quote

Would those be considered the Chinese types? God bless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Chinese type also the Korean new manufacture type.  I think There are some Romanian ones that are like that too.  They load from the back - you pop off some clips and load the rounds in that way.

The only drum type that is not a good idea to left loaded is the snail drum type romanian that you have to load from the top, one shell at a time until it is full.

You would be looking at anywhere from 80-120 for a drum.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The wind up drums are best.

They can be fully loaded and spring wound up just before you use it.
View Quote

Aren't all AK drums spring wound,and wind up?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 75rd chinese drum that had been fully loaded since 1992 and took it out and emptied it with no problems 20 years later
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Aren't all AK drums spring wound,and wind up?
View Quote

Kinda sorta.

The back loading ones (Korean, Chinese, some Romanian) have a spring you wind as you load.  Once it is loaded, you can take the pressure off the spring using the crank.
The top loading snail type (like the Romanian I mentioned) have a crank but all that does is helps you get the next shell loaded in the top.  It will have constant pressure on the spring in the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The wind up style look like this:

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wondering are the Chinese going for a premium over the Korean and Romanian? They are much harder to find and where hilly sought after way back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I can say back in the day when I had a Chinese 75 round drum it ran 100%, 100% of the time.

I wish somebody would make that quality of a drum for the AR 15.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just wondering are the Chinese going for a premium over the Korean and Romanian? They are much harder to find and where hilly sought after way back in the day.
View Quote

When the Romanian & Korean drums were selling for $50. - $75....the Chinese drums were selling for about $150.  Now people are wanting $100.+ for the Romanian & Korean mags...and the Chinese mags still seem to be $150. or so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wish somebody would make that quality of a drum for the AR 15.
View Quote

Norinco made a wind up open back 120 round drum mag for the AR 15. They work flawless and usually sell for $250+!!
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top