Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/4/2003 11:18:58 AM EDT
In the month or 2 I will be buying a drum mag for my new Sam7 thats on its way. Which are better what are the pros and cons, if this has been discussed before , do you have a link?

What I know...

Chinese can be stored for long periods of time due to no tension on the spring.

Russian are top loading and are not suited for storage with shells inside.

I would like to get a 100rd Chinese drum since if you are gonna do it, do it right. Is there any reason I should go with one over the other either 75rd or 100rd? Chinese or Russian. Whats the advantages of them or disadvantages.

I have a couple months so I figured I would research now before I even have the money to drop so I can have time to price them out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:47:36 AM EDT
trust me I thought long and hard about it. The Chinese in hands down the winner in my opinion.

Works awesome, easy to load, could leave it loaded if you wanted. Easy to clean. What more could you ask for?

The romanian drums are GARBAGE compared to Chinese. The Russian drums aren't bad but the Chinese are still best.

as for the 75 vs 100 round the 75 is a lot of ammo and its pretty heavy. the 100 rounder is about 1-2" wider i've heard and that turned me off, plus more expensive. the 75 was the right choice for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:57:02 PM EDT
I like the Chinese drums. They are easier to load than the Russian and you can keep them loaded for long periods of time, just wind it up when ready to shoot. Like Slov said they are easier to clean too.

I would get the 75 round drum over the 100 round drum because of the wieght. 75 rounders are heavy enough, but the 100 rounders are heavier and bulkier.

75 round Chinese drums usually cost around $100.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:34:22 PM EDT
Where can they be ordered from? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:00:36 PM EDT
guys have them for sale on "For Sale" sections
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:39:03 PM EDT
Well... I think if I was going to buy a big ol drum mag I might as well go for 100rd since its only gonna be used for fun and 100rd is just more badass than a 75rd. Just the sound of it.. "100 rounds" . Well I wish I had some extra douh to spend but have to save up for vacation, but I will most likely find a way to squeeze it in.

Can you get them refinished? How do they look? Do they even need it? Do you see a shortage of them anytime soon for new 100rd CHinese drums?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:04:49 PM EDT
I've had 2 East German Drums since 1993. They came with the grey carry pouches with an extra spring for each. I guess they are patterned after the Russian style. I've left them loaded for several years with no problems. They function flawlessly, and the fit and finish is better then the Chinese / Russian ones I have seen.

I guess the Chinese Drum is the winner though when it comes to ease of loading...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:37:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 11:07:38 PM EDT by WildWes]
I guess one could just say a drum is a drum...

But I think the Russian/copies look alot "meaner" when on the rifle. Something about the forward rake.

Guess I could say the same of the milled Bulgarian AK's and Chinese AK's with the angle of the buttstock.

Simply an asthetic observation, the Chinese drums do have their advantages. Good deals on the 100 rounders seem few and far between. The 75 round models are a far better option regarding availabilty at a "reasonable price". (considering what they sold for 10 years ago)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:03:02 PM EDT
I got to go with the soviet style drum....they are built better, and the quailty is a whole lot better then the chinese one.......even though the chinese drums are easier to load, something about 2 flimy clips holding the back plate on it, and that cheapie tack weld hinge does not give me aire of confidence in it. also the soviet drums has a forward cant to it, which when you bench shoot at least will give you some clearence from the table....the chinese one stick straight down. besides the quailty of the soviet style drum...the price is good.
Top Top