BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/16/2005 1:38:48 AM EDT
If it is bad??? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
i just bought one only bad thing was the stock set changed it out and nada.. mine is rock solid on par with a sar-1... oh and the finish isnt that great... other then that GREAT BUY
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
people like to trash them, but there isn't anything wrong with them. they are great guns, they're aks and they always go bang. i like cheap aks, thats what makes them cool to me, so in turn i like the wsar. the finish can be fixed and the mag dimples aren't a big deal imo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the GP-WASR10.  They fixed a few things, so they are better than the earlier ones in my book.  The GP has a Tapco G2 trigger group already installed (means no annoying trigger slap) and the magwell is machined tighter than the earlier ones.  Most of the earlier ones I've looked at had a LOT of magazine rattle (and that can lead to FTF's if bad enough).  My GP holds mags tighter than any of the dimpled AK's I have (I've got Chinese, Egyptian, and OOW made receivers).  The only downside on mine is a slight amount of FSB cant.  You cannot tell it by looking at it, I didn't find it out till I shot it.  I had to adjust the front sight over to the left about 2/3 of the way - its not a practical problem just makes the sight picture look a little funny.  I thought about either fixing it (not a hard thing to do) or just getting a windage-adjustable rear sight leaf (which I've wanted anyways).  It groups as well as just about any 7.62x39 AK that I have shot - well worth the money in my book.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
My GP had a Century HTS  I found 14X1 LH threads under the poorly spot welded thread protecter. I changed out the wood for plum furniture. The rifle looks awesome. Before I refinish it I will restore the bayonet lugs, mig welders are the motts for this stuff. The rifle runs like it nobodys buisness. My rifle has no cant of the FSB or GB I had to go through  about 10 of them to find what I wanted. Some of the rifles I went through had terribly coroded FSB's my rifle came with a rusty beat up recoil assembly I changed that out first thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
What .
A.
Shitty.
Rifle..

Just like all Romy's after you get em lined out they are good to go......
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The first Chinese type 56 didnt have mag well dimples either. Anyway the WASRs are ok. My last one I just sold I took the wood off took a scuff pad and went over the gun and made the funky park job look like a real AK LOL...guy I sold it to loved it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Problems encountered with the WASR-10 on some rifles.

No mag dimples...of course but also:
-Excessive mag wobble due to these being low cap conversions into high cap rifles.
-Rough looking finish that doesn't hold up well.
-Canted front sights and gas blocks.
-Trigger slap due to poor FCG
-Ugly, cheap wood.  Although some have Romanian laminated stocksets which are nicer.

One problem that I encountered on both my SAR1 and SAR2(which I no longer own) is the bolt carrier gets scuffed up because the top cover doesn't fit right.  I'm sure this might also be a problem with some WASR-10 rifles.

Basically if you get over the mag dimples you have a base that can be made into a nice rifle.  Get it refinished, make sure the sights and gas block are straight, replace or work out the problems with the FCG and get one with a laminated stockset and you will have a nice looking rifle that shoots as good as just about every other stamped AK.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like my WASR-10,
I did have to fix the trigger slap though.

I have a ArmoryUSA SSR-85C that had 3 times as many problems as my WASR-10,
Hell after all the parts that I had to replace on my SSR-85C I spent $240 more (total) on the Armory Gun.

I should have just purchased a second WASR-10.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had my WASR-10 for a couple years now and love it. The only problem I have is a slightly canted FSB and a little bit of mag wobble. If your looking for a cheap AK a WASR-10 is a great choice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
<-------

I've heard alot of people say that they are reliable guns and that they work really well.

The biggest problem that I'm aware of is the fact that Century has to grind out the mag well to make them accept hi-cap mags. These receivers are made to accept single stack mags.

I have a SAR-1 and a SAR-3. They're both really good guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Very reliable. Very affordable.

Mine had trigger slap and a canted front sight. Replaced trigger mechanism with a G-2 for about $60 including labor. Front sight is not SO canted that I could not adjust the front pin to compensate.

Wood was not fancy at all...but I refinished it cheap and it looks 100% better.

You can always buy more expensive AKs....but if you want a reliable tough-as-nails shooter, the WASR is the way to go!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I like mine.  Runs great, no problems.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my WASR-10.  I abuse the heck out of it, but it keeps on ticking.  Sure, it certainly does have some faults, but mine goes bang everytime (with functioning ammo of course).  I put a Tapco folder on it, and it handles great!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top