Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2005 8:52:08 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy my first AK, and since I live in CT, that means it has to be something other than 7.62X39.  I found this Romanian AK-74:

I have a like new all Romanian WUM-2 AK-74 5.45x39 imported from Intrac Arms made in 1997 with a black Bulgarian plastic stock set installed. Rifle was professionally refinished park + black Gunkote over it. Gun has AK-74 brake tac-welded on and comes with 2 30 round German mags. Also on rifle is an RPK style adjustable rear site with peep hole. Perfect performing rifle that looks great and shoots great-ALL Romanian gun w/side scope mount and curved bolt-not a kit! Asking $500 plus shipping

I'm trying to decide if this is a desireable version of the AK-74, and if so, if that price is right.  Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It's one of the better Romanian 5.45mm's avaliable. I'm not sure on the price though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's one of the better Romanian 5.45mm's avaliable. I'm not sure on the price though.

Thanks No1Here.  Unfortunately, with my very limited knowledge of AKs, that's like someone telling me that the Yugo is one of the better Yugoslavian cars.

Are Romanian AKs  "good"?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks No1Here.  Unfortunately, with my very limited knowledge of AKs, that's like someone telling me that the Yugo is one of the better Yugoslavian cars.

Well the WUM 2 was imported with a original receiver. Meaning no cutting or modifying of the receiver was done to make it accept 30 5.45mm magazines. The workmanship is better overall
compared to the later imported Romanian SAR 2's. It was more than likely imported in 1997.
The curved bolt carrier is original too, it was made that way to make it easier when a Romanian wire folder stock was added.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the WUM 2 was imported with a original receiver. Meaning no cutting or modifying of the receiver was done to make it accept 30 5.45mm magazines. The workmanship is better overall
compared to the later imported Romanian SAR 2's. It was more than likely imported in 1997.
The curved bolt carrier is original too, it was made that way to make it easier when a Romanian wire folder stock was added.

Not certain, but the pic seems to show a brake that does not use the large front sight base, and is therefore not a true 74 design with inner baffles before the outer paddles.

My Romy is good, but the Bulgys seem to be 2moa vs 2.5mos for Romys. For that price range, I'd look hard at the $450 deal JNewt had on EE.

Wow, thanks No1Here and RS39!  OK, now that I've seen JNewt's ad on the EE, my question becomes this: which should I buy, this used Romanian WUM2 for $500 or a new SLR-105R for $430?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go for the SLR-105R. It's the more authentic AK-74.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top