Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/17/2006 8:15:36 AM EDT
Hi all - I'm a newbie to the AK47 and kits - wondered if you might answer a few questions for me or direct me to a place I can learn the answers.

I came across the Romanian AK47 kits being sold by DPH arms yesterday. I know nothing about kits - once assembled do they make a complete weapon or do I need to purchase additional parts? What type of tools would I need to put one of these together? What rounds do these shoot? Is this considered an high capacity weapon? The price is very attractive if it is something I could put together. The guy at DPH arms seems to be very busy so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!!

Kiri
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to buy additional parts.  Added cost would be about $130.00 for the parts you would need.  ( An American made sheet metal receiver, hammer, trigger, sear and pistol grip) I have not put one together so I do not know the level of difficulty.  There is a section on this board for "Build it yourself" that has a lot of good info and guys here are always willing to help.  This kit ,when assembled, is a semi auto AK and would shoot the 7.62 X 39 round.  Any hi capacity AK magazine would work in this rifle.  HTH
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a romanian kit always semi-automatic

you have to buy an american receivers to rivet the kit together, there are many manufacturers and many gunsmiths to do this

you have to make sure there are 6 US parts, read more by searching on "922r" which is the code section
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a picture of one of those DPH kits after assembly...

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Very good looking weapon - I want one!!

Thanks for your replies. Any suggestions as to the best place to get the necessary parts? Thanks again!!

What kind of recoil do these AKs have?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You will need a minimum of 6 US made parts to be legal.

DPH will have most if not all of the parts you require. Receiver flat (if that's the direction you choose) G2 Fire Control Group (FCG) (hammer trigger disconnector) rivets to assemble with, Pistol grip, Muzzle Break. Look also in the EE (equipment exchange)

Falcon Arms carries Magazine Floorplates and Followers for about $5 for the set. These also count towards your 6 but be advised that you will not be able to shoot Drum type Magazines if you go that route. If you have no plans to use drums, then that is not an issue but you will have to get a set for each mag that you use.
If a muzzle break and pistol grip cost +-$30 for the set you can equip 6 mags for the same price.

You have many options.

There are a probably a few builders in your area so keep an eye out.
There is also a Home town Forum.
AR15.com's AK forums are 1 of several resources (forums) available.
2 others of the better are the AK Files and Gunco.net.

Do lot's of searches for info, probably 90% of your questions will have been asked many many times before and have been answered even more, IOW, multiple replies.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Del
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Go for it. The only drawback to building an AK is that one is never enough!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
DPH arms +1
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top