BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/22/2004 3:46:40 PM EDT
I have a new Yugo SKS.  (Wheee! he
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
2 o' clock is for regular shooting. Up should shut off the gas. I believe that aft is for taking the valve out for cleaning etc, since that's what I had to do when I cleaned it of cosmoline.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Many thanks for the quick reply.  I've got it cleaned of cosmoline, inside and out, and refinished the stock with 'Tru-Oil' after I baked it out.  Looking forward to taking this thing to the range this weekend.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a new Yugo SKS.  (Wheee! )  The gas valve has three positions.  Two at 12:00, one forward, one aft.  Another position at 2:00.  Where does it go for normal use?  What's the other two for?  Grenade  use and cutoff?  TIA

I do beleive its really only 2 postions. 12 oclock is for the blank round that fires the grenade and allows you to flip the sight up. 2 oclock is for normal semi auto firing.

BTW make double sure that gas system is VERY clean of cosmo. You got the piston out right? Cleaned the tube? OK just checkin. It wouldnt be pretty if you didnt.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Many thanks for the quick reply.  I've got it cleaned of cosmoline, inside and out, and refinished the stock with 'Tru-Oil' after I baked it out.  Looking forward to taking this thing to the range this weekend.  

They are great guns. Make sure you don't lube the firing pin channel and got the cosmo out of there too, and as a precaution only load 2 rounds at first to make sure the firing pin doesn't stick and cause any slam fires.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are great guns. Make sure you don't lube the firing pin channel and got the cosmo out of there too, and as a precaution only load 2 rounds at first to make sure the firing pin doesn't stick and cause any slam fires.

Thanks for the heads up on the firing pin channel.  It's clean of cosmo and I put a LIGHT coat  (a finger rub) of CLP on the pin.  Is that ok?  

1776, I cleaned the gas system and piston.  I should be good to go.  Thanks for the heads up on that  also.  I was thinking the same thing on the two rounds for first fire.  Always a good rule.  
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top