Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 4:26:26 PM EDT
Been meaning pick picl one up for a while, and cash flow may be a bit free'r after the new year.   I wpn't ask the old "What's the best..." question, because no doubt it'll be more than I'm willing to part with.

So can someone tell me what company/countries/models to avoid?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:33:10 PM EDT
From what I've heard, you should stay away from anything made by Hesse Arms.  I have never had any personal dealings with the brand but I have seen quite a few people here complain about them.  Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:34:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:49:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattld:
From what I've heard, you should stay away from anything made by Hesse Arms.  I have never had any personal dealings with the brand but I have seen quite a few people here complain about them.  Hope this helps!

My Hesse 74 was alright after I got the bugs worked out of it, but I traded it yesterday for a Imbel/Century FAL. I now have two SAR 2s and am on the list for the SEAK rifle so I'm not going to miss it that much either. My recommendation to anyone is to pass on a Hesse and buy a SAR.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:14:06 PM EDT
SSR56 from Global Trades.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:15:49 PM EDT
hesse
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:38:33 PM EDT
I do remember some guns were notorious for crooked front sights, and some for soft hammer/trigger parts? Who was that?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:47:54 PM EDT
Soft fire control parts and canted sight bases are relatively easy/inexpensive to fix.

Soft receivers, and general all around dangerous out of spec receivers and builds are not, however.

As mentioned before, avoid the Hesse and a B-West receivered AK.

If you are going on the cheap, the SAR is a good rifle to start, just realize there may be some tweaking necessary to make it right.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:27:21 PM EDT
Anything from Global Trades.  Their QC sucks and their in-house builders are the worst.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:10:01 AM EDT
BWest US rec were soft, and other than Denny's recently heated batch, you can not fix that later. The Hesse rec is not a kiss of death, but the build quality is varied. Global's QC bugs me because they charge 50% more than Hesse and still are a roll of the dice.

Other side of the question, best AK under $400 is a Romanian hand pick for straightness, or start with a hunter stock Saiga and upgrade from there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:47:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cas:
I do remember some guns were notorious for crooked front sights, and some for soft hammer/trigger parts? Who was that?

True many SARs have this problem but I have never been concerned about headspace like I was with my Hesse. It's just not too fun when I'd pull the trigger and a nice size fireball would come out about 3 inches from my face.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:47:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:
hesse

Nothing more needs to be said!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:00:13 PM EDT
how can you tell if a bwest reciever is not heat treated? i have one of the prebans and put alot of rounds through it with no problems so far. also is the most accurate AK i've ever tried. anyone know the value of these in excellent condition?
Top Top